Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

Leader connection knot option ~ Uni-8 Knot

I've been using this one as my primary braid to mono leader knot connection now going on two season. 

There are a ton of connection knot options out there.  Been using the uni to uni for quite a while and have had favorable results. 

However with the increase in pound test size of both the main line & the leader, comes an increase in the size of the knot.  My rods with smaller guides become problematic.

So I've been playing around with coming up with something strong, small & simple to tie.  The uni-8 was born.  I'll admit that I'm not positive this one doesn't already exist in a knot book somewhere but it's new to me so I'm going with it. 

When I first started using it I was seriously apprehensive because I wasn't certain a knot so simple could hold up.  It does.

Disclaimer ~ I am not promoting this knot as being any stronger of a connection than what's current out there.  However, so far I haven't found it to be any weaker either.  It certainly seems smaller and for me, is a whole lot easier to tie.  On a good day I can even do it without my glasses.   :glasses9:   The uni-8 is not wasteful either, meaning there isn't a ton of line lost while tying it. 

Line's I've used with it include Power Pro braid, Sufix 832 briad and Diawa Samuri braid from 10lb to 70 lb.  Mono Leaders include Berkley Big Game, Maxima Ultragreen and Stren Magnaflex from 6lb to 20lb.

I do not use fluorocarbon line so I have no results based information to pass on there.

In the demo video I did not "wet" the knot before I snugged it up - in my haste to shoot the video I simply forgot.   On the water, I ALWAYS wet the knot and recommend you do too.

So this is a viable option for me - your results may vary.

A-Jay

• Like 1

never ceases to amaze me how people come up with knots!!  nicely done there a jay!  

Looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Nice job and thanks for sharing I would like to try the knot but no matter how may times I watch it I can keep up. If it was done closer to the camera or with twine I would get it, but that what i get for being slow

Thanks again