loudcherokee

What are these rigs?

Forgive my ignorance but I've got a few things in my terminal tackle box that I'm not sure of what they are or how to fish them.

The second one from the left is some sort of stand up jig head. I'm thinking maybe a craw or something.

The one in the middle I bought for a specific purpose after reading about it on here, but can't remember what it was. I want to think shakey head but I've got some other rigs that I thought were labeled shakey head that look different, with a flat spot on the ball head.

The fourth one from the left I know is an EWG weighted hook. I throw a few things on this, and a senko is just deadly on this hook. You should try it and check out that wobble. My question for this hook though, is how do you t-rig the plastic without pulling that big weight through the head of the bait and destroying the worm?

The last one on the right I think was labeled jerk bait hook but I can't remember. Is this what you throw flukes on? I've never fished a fluke.

What would you rig and throw on the first hook, with the attached pendulum weight? What kind of retrieve is appropriate for this kind of hook? I got them in a MTB and can't find the bait card and don't know what they're called.

LC

tmp_28060-20160627_133543-1058527628.jpg

5 minutes ago, Turtle135 said:

number one is a Jika Rig: 

Thanks for the vid. Pretty interesting. Looks good with a craw. I bet a beaver type bait would be pretty awesome on it too.

LC

4 minutes ago, loudcherokee said:

Thanks for the vid. Pretty interesting. Looks good with a craw. I bet a beaver type bait would be pretty awesome on it too.

LC

I have even seen 10" - 12" worms thrown on those rigs, pretty versatile.

weighted EWG hook rigging

• Like 2

Far Left - jika rig (craws or worms)
2nd from left - stand up shaky head (anything shakyhead)
3rd from left - ball head (grubs/soft plastic swimbaits)
4th from left - weighted EWG (flukes, worms, craws, almost any plastic)
5th from left - i'm not entirely certain, looks like a EWG tube hook to me, but i could see a fluke being fished on it too

My first two thoughts are nearly contradictory....

1.  Just try them first with any sorts of plastics.....there are no rules and you might just find something that works great for you, that you may not have if you knew what they were 'designed for'

2.  On the other hand, some terminal tackle was designed for very specific applications, or by someone with a preconceived notion of how it would handle certain bait or bottom, or etc.....

That said...based on my experience, my first inclination would be to put a:

1. Power Team Texas Rig Jig on first (jika)

2. Trick or cut-tail worm on the shakey head (2)

3. Keitech or other paddle tail on the ball jig head

4.  Rage Tail Structure Bug - I use hitchhikers, but you can also put the bait on before tying -- you're correct that threading the lead through the plastic rarely yields great results -  also great with Cut-R's and just about any curly tail worm...most stuff that you might throw using the first one will also work great on this.  Small paddle tail baits work great too...very versatile hook and with hitchhikers, even moreso

5. I'd have probably thrown a tube on that one.  I like my flukes to be separate from the weight...I always thought that weighted hooks or jig heads would deaden the fluke action...I want it to be as erratic as possible, so I use very light weights that slide above the fluke

The middle jig is Z-Man shaky head.

Tom

The last hook is a flutter hook that you use with flukes or any other bait you want to flutter to the bottom or just to add weight to. As for rigging pierce the bait with the hook point at the front of the bait then turn the hook around and insert the hook eye in the hole so you don't have to pull the weight through and risk damaging the bait

On 6/27/2016 at 1:13 PM, Turtle135 said:

I have even seen 10" - 12" worms thrown on those rigs, pretty versatile.

weighted EWG hook rigging

I get what he's doing in this video, but I don't like to retie my line every time I rig a new plastic.  I just want to replace it and move on.  I use Keitech fat swing impacts on the keel weighted hooks as well as brush hogs and other beefy baits and don't have much issue with tearing the nose up too bad.  It does eventually give out once I've caught 3 or 4 fish and had to push it back up there a few times, but it's not too bad.  What solves this problem for me is getting a keel weighted screw lock hook instead, so you're not threading it over the entire hook.  I like the owner beast twistlock similar to the one pictured.  

4105-DEFAULT-L.jpg