1. 1. Favorite

• Mystery Tackle Box
    • Lucky Tackle Box
    • Fishing Care Package
  2. 2. Least Favorite

• Mystery Tackle Box
    • Lucky Tackle Box
    • Fishing Care Package

What is your preference in fishing subscription companies? I have used Mystery Tackle Box before and liked it... How is Lucky Tackle Box and Fishing Care Package? Is it worth getting the 5lb of soft plastics or buying soft plastics separate and know what your getting? Please try the poll.

I‘ve tried MTB. And canceled it. I got lead weights, which I can't use in Maine. Hooks that I wouldn't have bought and sit in the bottom of my tackle box, a drop shot kit (again with a lead weight) and 2 lures that I actually use.

For me it wasn't worth the $15 and everything in the box was only worth $25 if you only bought stuff at MSRP which I never do.

can't imagine the others are different and prefer to buy stuff as I need it / hear about it, when it's on sale.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth (adjusted for inflation)

• Like 2

I just started bass fishing about a year ago. When I first started, I subscribed to LTB and MTB. They allowed me to try all kinds of lures at a discounted rate. Now that I have found out what I like and what I don't, I have respectfully cancelled both subsriptions. It's more effective for me to take that money into a tackle shop and get stuff that I know I will use and need. I'm not gonna lie though, I really enjoyed looking forward to them every month. 

• Like 5

I rather purchase lures individually that way I get the exact lures I want 100% of the time.

• Like 1

I have the same sentiment as the rwo posts above me. 15 dollars is better spent for me on keitech plastics, or cranks I know I will use. The initial couple boxes are exciting but eventually it fades. I don't normally bash products like I'm about to do outside of the banjo minnow, but I genuinely believe it's a very gimmicky product outside of getting new anglers to try different lures they haven't before. Once you out enough time on the water, you know what you like, you know what works.

• Like 2

I have so much stuff that I have a hard time buying for myself. I don't need someone else trying.

• Like 1

If you have to pick, I heavily suggest Lucky Tackle Box. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LTB: Bryan Balshy Fishing said:

If you have to pick, I heavily suggest Lucky Tackle Box. 

Why is that?

I been very happy with the MYSTERY TACKLE BOX.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scott Sibley said:

What about Random Lure of the Month? Their in Canada though.

Never heard of them, how are they?

If you compare the boxes month to month, you will find that LTB send much better quality stuff than MTB does. Hands down. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

If you compare the boxes month to month, you will find that LTB send much better quality stuff than MTB does. Hands down. 

Things must have changed with one or both in the past year.  I did both for a time and wouldn't dare try to pick one to recommend over the other.  I found the 'quality/quantity/desirability' to be nearly indistinguishable.  There were certainly differences in presentation, tips, etc.  But lure by lure; bait by bait; I found them to be way too close to call.

I did MTB for a year and enjoyed it. It was definitely fun to get a box once a month in the winter time.  But as others have said, after a year, you build up a lot of tackle along with the tackle you buy so you end up with a lot you probably will not use or don't have time to use.  Sometimes I think about subscribing again but haven't yet. Since I'm a plastics fan, if they offered a 100% all soft plastic box I might resubscribe. 

1 hour ago, Choporoz said:

Things must have changed with one or both in the past year.  I did both for a time and wouldn't dare try to pick one to recommend over the other.  I found the 'quality/quantity/desirability' to be nearly indistinguishable.  There were certainly differences in presentation, tips, etc.  But lure by lure; bait by bait; I found them to be way too close to call.

I tend to agree after using both and currently still LTB. I would give the edge to LTB. Just my feelings on that though. I didn't do bait per bait comparison.

I will say I am at the point of possibly dropping my LTB subscription. Last month was the worst for me from LTB and this month's had one expensive swim bait and some other baits not really anything I see myself using. I'm not a finesse or swim bait guy and that seems to be what keeps coming lately. Guess they are trying to keep up with the YouTube trends.

It is fun getting the box of surprises though. Sometimes it does open your eyes to a new bait or company you may never have heard of. 

I have no experience with FCP or any other services so no opinion there.

Got two boxes each from MTB and LTB earlier this year. Both MTB's had a large crank bait as the "big ticket item" and both LTB's had big walking baits as their feature lure. The rest of the items were sample packs of hooks, plastics and other small things I can't recall. 

All of what I got was quality but nearly none I would need for my fishing. I like the walking baits, however, and have been using them. One of the big cranks is still in the package.

Both companies boxes were similar and neither was clearly superior to the other. MTB has a better website for managing your subscription but they also send a lot of emails, even after canceling. LTB was less slick but their monthly newsletter was preferable to the MTB VonDibble character. 

Overall it comes down to what was said above; I'd rather spend the money on what I need and want rather than hoping on a surprise package  A few months of either box would be a nice gift for a young person getting into fishing.

• Like 1

Just tried out both LTB and MTB for a first-time rate of $5 each.  If you haven't done so, I highly suggest it.  The LTB for this month was definately far superior to the MTB box.  The big ticket item was a biwaa 5.5" trout swimbait that retails for about $25.  The box also included some 4" ribbed swimbaits (used with a drop shot/jig head), 2 packs of soft plastic worms around 6" each and a pack of mustad drop shot hooks.  The MTB box included a cool Arashi Storm crankbait ($9 retail) .  It also included a pack of 2 tungsten splitshots (basically worthless to me), another pack of plastic worms, and a 5/8 punching jig.  In my opinion, the LTB was better than the MTB box for this month.

• Like 1