A-Jay

Summer Smallies

Got out on a new to me lake yesterday & today. It's a bigger body of water that is very typical of many of the northern Michigan lakes; Deep, Clear & loaded with Fat Smallmouth Bass.  The morning was warm & clear with light winds - just gorgeous.   Yesterday I took a couple of decent fish right at sunrise off the end of a long point that had scattered weed.  They ate a football jig & craw in about 18 feet.  After that I found a ton of fish but couldn't turn any of them into biters.   Saw several crawfish both at the ramp and while fishing so this drove the majority of my bait & presentation decisions.

Late on the first morning I scoped out a long main lake point that had all kinds of life (bait, bass & at least one mutant Muskie) cruising along the inside weed line on the shallow side of the drop.  I started there today.  Though my fishing time was limited, the short time I was there proved decent, especially for mid-summer.  A rage rigged Rage Craw (watermelon Meat - my new favorite flavor) took a few smallies but I was getting so many no bite follows that I really felt I could do better.  Changed it up and threw a mid-depth crank right along the inside of the drop.  Burned it actually and they were All Over It !  I love chunking & winding, and having these stout super charged smallies smashing it was very cool.  The Spro "Mike McClelland" RkCrawler 55 Crankbait - in red crawfish was making it happen. 

There have been entire summers where unless I fished at night, the only way I'd see decent smallies was to fish a drop shot or other super finesse offering.  This was a nice change.

Here's some video footage of this mornings action.  btw -  I   am    loving    the    Pro  V  Bass (especially the Twin Talons)

A-Jay

• Like 16

Great day.  Thanks for sharing the video.

• Like 1

Nice going!

• Like 1

Great vid!  One problem, I don't see any vertical rod holders!!!!! :)   69 degree water temps.....hahah   love it.  We have been above 90 for over a month now!

Jeff

• Like 1

nice, agree with jeff on the water temps, i'd love to find some 70 degree water right now!

• Like 2

They are all hanging at the dam on the river with everything else.It has been a hot 30 days.

You look right at home on that deck. Looked like a helluva day

• Like 1

Sweet! I could have sworn that I saw your rig at 9 Mile and Jefferson last weekend fishing St Clair. Gotta love when you can adapt to the bite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DubyaDee said:

Sweet! I could have sworn that I saw your rig at 9 Mile and Jefferson last weekend fishing St Clair. Gotta love when you can adapt to the bite.

Thanks -

Haven't been over that way recently - so that wasn't me.

Being a new model, the Rig definitely gets it's far share of double takes both on the road, at the ramp and on the water.

A-Jay

Fished in some wind this morning - had several "Pokes" at a crankbait but only managed to stick a few of them.  Fish seemed fairly non-committal and the conditions weren't helping matters much. 

This first clip is the last fish of the morning ~  pretty decent smallie.   The second clip is me earning it.   (btw - There's no fish catching in it)

A-Jay

Nicely done AJ!

• Like 1