Golly G

I'm looking for this Book

I'm looking for a book that is no longer in print. there are on-line bookstores that have limited copies (new and used), but they want one of my arms and half of one leg for a copy. the book is "Knowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching more fish". I've already checked ebay... I've checked my local library.. I'm hoping that one of you kind souls out there has a copy and would part ways with it for a much more reasonable price.

Dude I just looked it up. $170 on ebay....:o  Does this book contain some kind of spell that makes bass bite any bait you throw?  Is it an ancient scroll from King Tut's tomb? I should really start checking my local Goodwill stores.

• Like 1

Gun Dog, Yes. reading the book allows an angler to cast a spell on the fish. They'll actually jump in the boat so no hooks needed --I guess the cost of the book and lack of tackle needed offsets the pocket book. :) Actually, I'm pretty new to fishing. My 12 yr old son is hooked. I'm doing my best to get any edge I can. If the book gets me one step closer to understanding bass patterns during all seasons then I feel it's worth it. So many anglers, probably including yourself, tell me to just go fish. I'm 44 yrs old so I don't have all the experience on my side like most anglers my age. If I can get some knowledge from a book that'll help me shorten the learning curve then I feel like it's worth it. plus I've always been a "researcher". I love reference books. I'm sure the book will come in handy at some point......Maybe :)

• Like 2

Pretty amazing what the market bares for this book.  I think it was like $20 when in print.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Golly G said:

Gun Dog, Yes. reading the book allows an angler to cast a spell on the fish. They'll actually jump in the boat so no hooks needed --I guess the cost of the book and lack of tackle needed offsets the pocket book. :) Actually, I'm pretty new to fishing. My 12 yr old son is hooked. I'm doing my best to get any edge I can. If the book gets me one step closer to understanding bass patterns during all seasons then I feel it's worth it. So many anglers, probably including yourself, tell me to just go fish. I'm 44 yrs old so I don't have all the experience on my side like most anglers my age. If I can get some knowledge from a book that'll help me shorten the learning curve then I feel like it's worth it. plus I've always been a "researcher". I love reference books. I'm sure the book will come in handy at some point......Maybe :)

I'm with ya GollyG. I love a good book and reading helps me learn as well. You made a good start by coming to this website. There are lots of good articles on this website that will get you started. Hope you find the book you are looking for. I'll keep an eye out for it. I hit a lot of used bookstores in my area. Good luck.

• Like 1

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I learned a lot from a book called In Pursuit of Giant Bass by Bill Murphy. It's out of print now too, but I got mine directly from his widow who still had copies she was selling at a reasonable price 5 or so years ago. I may not even have the title right, don't have the book nearby to look, but it's written by a guy who used to deliberately focus on getting 10lb plus bass in California reservoirs before the days of hi tech electronics like we have today.

In it he talks a lot about what the average bass behavior is, what habitat the average bass prefers, what baits the average bass will go after, and then contrasts it with what the teenagers (as he refers to the ten pound plus bass he went after) do that is different. So I learned a lot about the run of the mill bass behavior AND what the big ones do that's different, so it might help you too.

He is very detail oriented (something a researcher might appreciate) and talks about everything from why he used the boat he used to building his own anchors, to specific types of techniques to employ and when all else fails, what bait to use. (live crawdads--he used to raise and sell crawdads by the thousands as part of his pursuit of giant bass--if I remember right he even goes into how to start your own little crawdad farm).

He also wrote about getting a largemouth and put it in a big fish tank and then observe it and the environment it was in to get a feel for what life underwater in the Bass' world was really like. One thing he emphasized was it's WAY slower down there than we think, and while the little bass chase stuff like crazy, the really big ones are lazy as all get out, lay in wait forever and only rarely move or eat, usually some critter that trundles right in front of them at the wrong time. 

And honestly, that is just a very brief synopsis of what is in that book. Way more in it than just that stuff.

I read most of it once, always thinking I would go back and really dig through it... so you've now inspired me to get my copy and take it with me to Florida here in a couple weeks and read it cover to cover and take some notes this time around while lazing on a beach when I am not doing some fishing down there.

I will say that some of the criticism I have read about it is it's "dated" in that he wrote it back in the 80's I think and while I did notice his rods, reels, boat, electronics and baits all reflected the times he was fishing in, the principles of fish behavior are timeless. And really, as long as we still catch fish on plastic worms, topwaters,  crawdad looking baits and stuff that mimics small fish, then anything that can give you a lot of good information on old school stuff that survives through the decades can't hurt. I can learn to drop shot, wacky rig and burn spinner baits somewhere else.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on that book though. Good luck!

• Like 2

The Murphy book is great, too.  You can find it pretty easily for around $10-$20.

• Like 2

Wow, Knowing Bass is incredibly expensive these days.  I have a copy but I want to keep it in my collection.  As far as instruction, that isn't the best book for you.  It's mostly about a battery of various experiments and tests that were done on bass in tanks at the Berkley headquarters,  There is some practical application to be taken from it, but there are many far better "starter" books out there.

- First, for seasonal patterns, google KVD 6 season bass chart.  This was a Bassmaster article that will give you at least a starting point to begin understanding seasonal patterns.

- The InFisherman critical concepts series.  There are 3 books, the 3rd book focuses heavily on lures and presentations, so that would be the best one for you as a beginner to get a fairly comprehensive overview of a large number of techniques.

- The Bill Murphy book mentioned above is a good one also. 

- There are a couple of KVD books that also provide a nice overview of a wide range of techniques and presentations. 

- One of the best bass fishing books ever written is Spoonplugging by Buck Perry, but I would wait to read this book until you are a little further along.  It's the type of read that will either resonate with you or not, you will likely either A) not finish the book at all, or B ) you will read it multiple times :) 

- Another good overview book is Roland Martin 101 Bass Patterns or something like that.  This is another good beginner book to get the ideas flowing about a lot of ways to pursue bass. 

- Use the search function, there are a lot of book threads on the forum here with more suggestions, but those I listed will set you on the right path. 

- Lastly, use YouTube, use the search function on Bass Resource, watch fishing shows on TV, take in as much info as you can and then the answers will come to you more easily when you actually are fishing, when you can start comparing your actual experiences to what you've heard and read. 

- The best advice I have?  Keep a good fishing log and be diligent about it!! This will probably teach you more than all of the research you do in the end. 

• Like 2

Keith Jones works for Berkley, his hard back book is a 320 pages and was expensive in 2005 when it was published. The book is worth reading and mostly laboratory researched based. Like most bass research the sceince doesn't always agree with on the water experience.

The late Bill Mutphy book In Pursuit of Giant Bass is on the water experience based with references to on the water research tracking studies and has very practical information that you can apply to your bass fishing.

Tom

• Like 1

Keith's book is more biological than pattern driven.  He melds research he has done himself in Berkley's labs with research from others that was available at that time and references those studies.  Some of the studies he sites was not actually research done about bass.  What Keith attempted to do with his book was explain in layman's terms how the biology relates to successful fishing.  Other books have since been written about bass biology, though not as comprehensively, and are currently available from the usual outlets.

Interestingly, Keith Jones was not the first Berkley researcher to write a book about bass behavior.  Paul Johnson wrote "The Scientific Angler" quite a while before Keith wrote his book.  I challenge you to find a copy of Paul's book... and no, you can't have mine.

oe

• Like 1

wow!! Thanks for all of the great information. I'm going to put my desire for "knowing Bass" aside and work on getting the other books you all mentioned. I'm sure I can get them all for what they're asking for one copy of "knowing Bass". 

4 hours ago, Golly G said:

wow!! Thanks for all of the great information. I'm going to put my desire for "knowing Bass" aside and work on getting the other books you all mentioned. I'm sure I can get them all for what they're asking for one copy of "knowing Bass". 

No Problem!! I'm not saying that Knowing Bass is a bad book, but I think there is better practical info in a lot of the ones I listed. 

Good Luck!!

Also, OE, the "Scientific Angler" book you mentioned is readily available used on Amazon at a very reasonable price, just FYI. 

On July 22, 2016 at 8:04 AM, J Francho said:

The Murphy book is great, too.  You can find it pretty easily for around $10-$20.

His widow sells it on EBay. Check there you might find it at a decent price. I bought 3 about 3 years ago.