snake95

Experience with Livetarget frog walking bait

Wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with the Livetarget frog walking bait.  I'm talking about the long spook-like hardbait they sell, not their popular soft frogs. 

I got a bunch at a sale this week, and took one out this morning.  Found it was not very easy to walk and it seemed to sit leaning to one side (it is designed to sit roughly vertical) - maybe there is something off with my particular lure(s)?

I was using 15 lb mono and a med-fast 6'-6" rod.  MH/fast probably would've been better.

They seem to have stellar reviews on the big retailer's sites, so I was expecting more.  

Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe just need to give it another shot..  If there are any tips or tweaks that should help, I'm interested! 

I like mine! I haven't caught any fish on it yet but I love the action and the way it just sits verticle with just the head peeking out of the water just like a real frog does. Don't get it near weeds though or she'll snag up real quick. I try to get as close to lilie pads as i can without actually going into them. Despite no fish I'll continue to use it as I know it's just a matter of time with a bait that looks and performs this good ;).

14 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

I love the action and the way it just sits verticle with just the head peeking out of the water just like a real frog does

@Brett's_daddy thanks for the feedback.  I think this is what is throwing me off about them.  Unlike a spook or a skitterwalk they sit tail down.  I tried again and see that they can lean to one side or another when sitting close to vertical.  That's probably not a bad sign then, its not like it is weighted one way so it is off balance.  I found I could get them to walk pretty well with my rod held high, but wouldn't glide side to side as easily with my rod in the normal (low) walking position.  I felt like it walked better with a direct tie to the included split ring, rather than with a snap between the line and split ring. I compared it with a skitter walk this morning and found the walking action was different in that it walked better when being pulled at a fairly high speed rather than a slow walk.  Any further thoughts or observations on this?

I own one. And have caught a few bass with it.  I agree it's different to walk but once you get the feel, it's rather easy. It works ! But not my favorite. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Yeajray231.  I just want to add the following link to this resurrected thread, in the hopes that I sort of kill it before it takes up more attention from forum members, and to redirect people interested in the subject to some valuable responses.

Among the responses I got, smalljaw provide a great explanation of how they walk this lures.

I asked the question in a more general way, that generated more responses, and the responses are hopefully more useful to readers using tight walking lures beyond just the Livetarget walking frog, see below:

• Like 1