B1gD4ddy

How would you fish this, would you try this?

I'll post a pic of the river after this as a reply..  

I see many people struggling this time of year so I thought maybe we could post our spots with what we have tried with a limit lol..  

This river spot is super rocky do I thought a craw fish soft plastic would be a good option, there was a nice little pooling area where I fish about 10-20' till Rapids so I was pitching this around, carp and bass were active but I couldn't get hit not sure why, I didn't expect to get a carp on this setup but with some bass jumping as well as carp Flippin I figured I'd get something it was about 9am not too hot yet..

How I fish this (not sure if right or not) is weedless weightless T-rig I cast/flip it out let it sunk till I get a slack line ( slack line, not as straight forward as in a pond) then with rod tip down I would give a light twitch to the side and let it settle again, rice and repeat until it got back to shore..

Any thoughts what I may have been doing wrong, technique, bait selection, etc...

Screenshot_2016-08-06-14-01-12.png

20160806_115942.jpg

That looks like a beaver style creature soft plastic in lieu of a craw.

Can't tell from the photo if the tail flappers/claws have been seperated? If they are still as molded you need to break them apart so they swim independently.

Texas rigged with a sliding bullet sinker or used on a plain ball jig should work in the river current for Smallmouth bass, current breaks for LMB.

Tom

• Like 2

Tubes, tubes and tube. Drag them or hop them. Let the bass tell you how they want it.  I love dark colors with red or blue flake because it looks more like a crawfish body. If you look at a crawfish under water the body isn't one solid color. The flake breaks up the color of the tube. 

If you're having trouble getting bites at all, try an inline spinner? No guarantees of big fish, but if they're in there, they'll hit it.

retrieve downstream .

You got good options from the anglers here but I'll try to add a bit to it. I fish rivers a lot and when you see fish active like you said, that is when a spinnerbait or topwater is a better option.  The reason for that is river bass will hold in slow or non current areas and when they are feeding they will position themselves in the same slow or no current areas but it will be close to current, eddies are good spots to use a beaver style bait or tube. Now what you experienced was probably one of the few times the fish were keying on insects or baitfish, when they are on one of those forage items you won't get bit on a bottom bait like what you were using, a floating style jerkbait is perhaps the best option as you can use it like a topwater , jerkbait, or crankbait so it gives you a lot of options but your beaver bait will work but it is best fished with a slip sinker or on a jighead.

• Like 1

I don't know how big that beaver is, but I'd downsize to something 3 inches or less, something with more tail flutter / action. Twin tail grub, or something like a Keitech crazy flapper or craw - creature bait with appendages that will self react in that current. I'd also add a small split shot about a foot above the bait and try to fish earlier in the morning. 

On Saturday, August 06, 2016 at 4:29 PM, WRB said:

That looks like a beaver style creature soft plastic in lieu of a craw.

Can't tell from the photo if the tail flappers/claws have been seperated? If they are still as molded you need to break them apart so they swim independently.

They are seperated must have just been how they went when holding up for a pic.

I chose the light colour because the water was very clear and I thought clear water, one should use lighter colours. This is bass pro shops tournament series 4" baby bug.

Thanks for all the tips I am finding thwre is A LOT more to fishing then I ever thought lol some obvious like using top water baits when fish are feeding on the surface (facepalm don't know why I didn't think of that, that seems so obvious) 

When to use what and how is tricky at the moment I've been fishing actively now maybe a season between getting very interested mid to late last year and all season so far this year.. trying to gain knowledge and remembering it all is a chore lol but love the sport so much it's worth it