twanbc

Circuitboard Lips on Crankbaits

I unboxed my mystery tackle box the other day and found an Arashi Flat Crankbait, but i noticed that it has what's called a circuit board lip and self adjusting line tie. The line tie portion is self explanatory, but what are the benefits of the circuit board lip opposed to the clear plastic lip?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the circuit board lips are thinner yet still more durable.  So they'll dive quicker but at the same time are still tougher and more durable than the standard lips

• Like 2

i cant wait to take it out on the water one day. If it truly does dive to depth faster, and are more durable, i can take it out to a pond that i know has harder bottom and some rip rap as well and not have to worry about breaking the bill as much.

Circuit boards are tough as nails and very difficult to chip/crack, unlike a traditional molded plastic lip.  I'm not sure about how fast the lip will wear/grind down though if it's always being cranked along the bottom of a gravelly/rocky lake though.

Circuit board (aka micarta, G-10, garolite, etc) is tougher than molded plastics and as tough as polycarbonate (aka Lexan).  It has a very high stiffness to thickness ratio, better than other options, so a G10 lip can be half the thickness of a polycarbonate lip which gives it better dive characteristics.  It also rebounds more sharply off of cover, especially rocks.  It's especially good on shallow runners where its small size and translucent white color will not unduly affect the overall "look" of the crankbait.  It will eventually erode from contact with rock cover but most guys are willing to accept that in exchange for its advantages.

Are any other bait companies making them with circuit lips yet? I've only seen the arashis with it.