You_Only_Live_Once_Fishing

Paddle Tail Swimbait Technique?

This year, I have discovered the lethality of paddle tail swimbaits. I was first exposed to them through Mystery Tackle Box. I received 4" Reaction Innovations version. The box also had 3/0 MustadEWG hooks along with scent. I texas rigged the hook and bait, with a 1/8oz lead weight. Overtime, the bait maintained a red color, but lost it's scent. I believe i have caught of 20 bass on the four RI baits that I got in may. I also use them on the back of swim jigs. I like to fish this bait in pressured water, where crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and chatter baits won't work. This rig is very good on light tackle and in grass/weeds. 

• Like 1

I love every single one I've tried and caught fish on all of them.  From Keitech to Rage Tail, to random off-brands they all seem to work pretty well.  I will always have them on-hand when fishing.  Right now I'm using an Owner twist lock keel-weight hook, but plan to try all different hook applications with these.  They flat out catch fish.  

• Like 6

I am talking about the ones made by Keitech, Reaction Innovations etc. I usually fish them t rigged with a 3/0 mustad EWG and a 1/8 oz lead weight. I use 20 pound braid to an 8 pound fluorocarbon leader on a 7 medium fast spinning rod with a 1500 6.0:1 spinning reel. I reel them inslowly, but consistently. I have had success on dead sticking too. I am getting ready for a tournament this weekend and want new techniques for this bait. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hog Basser said:

I love every single one I've tried and caught fish on all of them.  From Keitech to Rage Tail, to random off-brands they all seem to work pretty well.  I will always have them on-hand when fishing.  Right now I'm using an Owner twist lock keel-weight hook, but plan to try all different hook applications with these.  They flat out catch fish.  

I agree, you can catch Big bass in any conditions, try unweighted screw lock hooks, i use weighted ones, but am gonna try them, it might add to durability. I use gamakatsu weighted superline hooks. 

My paddle tail of choice is the Big Bite Baits Cane Thumper. I use the 5" version and rig them up with a Bass Pro 4/0 keel weighted super line hook. I've tried other with screw lock and all and they work, but that particular combination fits together very well. For the first few fish you won't even have to skin hook it to keep it weedless. I usually fish them on a slow steady retrieve with a pause here and there. If one bumps it and misses I'll pause it and just let it sink which. Another thing I like to do, is to cast them past a piece of cover, and reel them back to it and kill it right next to it. I've had some absolutely vicious strikes doing so when they'd just ignore the steady retrieve. 

My first choice is a Skinny Dipper with a Big EZ a close second. 

Both rigged on a 5/0 Owner Twist Lock keel weighted hook useing 30lb straight braid

Mike

• Like 1

I got into the small Keitechs randomly when I first stated bass fishing.  They always produced but I moved away from them in my excitement to try new things.  I haven't touched them in maybe 6 months.  

Until today.  I spend all day at two ponds with nothing to show for it.  Right when it was time to go home, I rigged up a 3.8 FI on a 1/8oz Rugby head.  I cast into the same spot I had spent hours throwing senkos, Fat Ikas, flukes, and vile craws at.  Second cast I caught a dink, fourth cast I caught one in the 13-14" range.  

Bass are jerks and sometimes I think I should sell it all but for Ned rigs and paddle tail swimbaits.  

• Like 1

I fish the 6" ones on 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4oz jig heads on bottom like a big swim bait most of the time. You'd be surprised how small of a largemouth will choke one of those. 

If I'm in junk I'll throw them on an Eagle Claw keel weighted swimbait hook. 

I have a bunch of smaller ones and they worked, but once I found those 6" Speed Shads I haven't thrown anything else since. 

• Like 1

Try using with a jig head in heavier sizes and slow rolling for deeper fish. I use heads from 3/8-1oz and slow roll for suspended bass by counting down or deep bass by slow rolling on bottom or stroking it up with rod and letting it fall almost like ripping a lipless. Also use them on swim jigs, underspins, chatterbaits, or scroungers when the fish want more vibration. I also use them on spinner baits and buzz baits at night or in muddy water for more bulk and anytime I want to be able to slow the bait down and still be at the right depth.  I like the keitechs,  big hammers, jackall rythm wave, and lunker city grubster the best

On tough bites, I often will nose hook them with either a circle hook, or Kahle style hook, a light weed guard is good, and maybe put a split shot anywhere from 8"-24" above the bait. I also throw them weightless, and fish them like a senko with a lift and fall, maybe twitch it, kill it etc.

My favorite way to fish them is with a weighted hook, or pegged bullet weight, the heavier the weight the more thump, but faster you have to reel if fishing them like a buzzbait or wakebait. The reason I like to fish them with a pegged weight is it makes them more weedless and a weighted hook is also good. I like to peg the weight but leave a bit of space so the bait falls better, hook has more swing, or add a bead for sound. I buzz it over weeds, and if fish are not coming up or missing it, I will wake it so it bulges near the surface.

On the bigger Keitechs or Dippers like the medium dipper to big dipper I will often use them weightless, or if I lose the tail, I will screw in a willow blade like the MJ rig on a senko, but I like the ringed body which is fatter and works well slowly reeled at any depth. I like the Mustad Weighted hooks that have a sliding weight to adjust where the weight sits, you can also work them like a jerkbait or fluke if weight is back or weighless, they can sashay from side to side. You really can't fish them wrong, often slow and weightless causes them to bounce all over, enter water quit, skip well, and paddle tails are just good.

Lots of guys fish them on under spins, I have tried that with the Owner Flashy hook, but I have never had a ton of success using that method but I have not done it enough. I like to use paddle tails on Chatterbaits, Spinnerbaits-Inline like the snagless sally, Terminator, swim jig, Weedless spoon like Silver Minnow, and I know guys put them on buzzbaits and do well but I rarely use them on buzzbaits. 

I like using a leader as well in clear water and a swivel to prevent line twist when I use them weightless especially, they will twist in wind, and twitching them causes line twist on braid especially but you can fish swimbaits on heavy line and catch fish like a toad....

RI has some of  the best colors in my opinion. The Names are interesting, but they really "Pop" in the water and the laminates from RI are some really good color mixes. They make a sexy Sunfish or shad, and it looks and works awesome. In light weeds a light weight not pegged is good as well, I just like pegging the weight with stops below and  above to adjust leader length, or I can pull them off, I almost always use 1/8-1/4 unpegged or 3/8-1/2 on C-Rigs or deeper water. I once fished with a guy who ended up winning a tournament using a one ounce weight with a Skinny Dipper behind it and only about 14" behind. I thought he was crazy, but he was casting it far, letting it settle, would drag it, pause, drag it rinse and repeat. 50lb braid to a 17lb Mono Leader in muddy, weedy lake-Kissimme chain.

You can get creative, but Keitech, RI....All good baits and choices. I would throw them the way you like best, and rarely will a swimbait not catch fish. I add Megastrike so they hold on longer, but in weeds I don't want to give them too much time, I hear it, see it, I swing hard. Great for covering water. Putting them on a swim jig is probably taking over for most guys but I also prefer solo, maybe I add a punch skirt in front really short for action on the fall.

Hope that helps give you some ideas. 1/2 oz. Gold Silver Minnow or nickel, smaller 2.8" or 3" is great at times, comes through heavy cover with a new look.

• Like 3

Tip....

If your conditions won't allow a keel weighted hook, or you want to buzz on top, use a bullet shaped clear plastic nose cone. 

It wont change the action and you can throw it anywhere. They are hard to find down here but I think TW carries them  

Mike

• Like 2

i don't like them, no i love them!

Weighted keel hook or on a swim jig.