An Outdoor Guy

12lb or 15lb?? help me decide!

well as some of you may know I just recently had trouble getting used to my medium fast bait cast rod. I made a post, got suggestions, and got the hang of it. I had a few guys tell me to switch to 12lb fluorocarbon from 15lb for ease of casting. my question is, what line would you pick for a 7'medium/fast rod??

The rod will be used for:

- jerk baits

-1/4oz spinner baits/chatter baits

-weightless and weighted Texas rigged worms (1/8oz tungsten)

-1/4oz jigs (finesse and bitsy flip)

-lipless crank baits (3/8oz and 1/2oz)

-square bills/ DT6 -DT10 (maybe DT14)

I know that's a lot to ask from a rod but I only like to bring 3 rods max. so which line would suit me best?? 12lb?? or 15lb?? The difference between 12lb Berkley vanish and 15lb seaguar red label is .001 of an inch. will that difference really help me at all??

I would use 10 or 12#. Most of that lighter 1/4 oz stuff will cast better with a more limper line which is what you would get out of 10#. Most of my fishing is done with line 12# test and under. My best fish of the year was caught on 8# Yozuri hybrid. For a medium action rod and those baits and weight ranges I would go 10 or 12 at the most.

• Like 2

What kicker fish said.....I'd go 10 personally.  Highest pound mono I use is 12 big game for spinnerbaits and use around rocks and bridge pillings. 

• Like 1

you guys think 12lb would be enough for the bigger 3/8 chatter baits, 1/2oz lipless cranks as well as the 5/8oz deep diving DT14's??

I think so but there are always those guys out there that think you need 60# braid or 20 lb fluorocarbon but I am not that guy. I fish 3/8 oz chatterbaits on 12# sniper. I don't fish many deep diving cranks but when I have it has been on 12# mono. There are some that subscribe to the theory that thinner and lighter # test line will help a bait run deeper. If you are occasionally using the rod for deeper divers you should be fine. And as far as those lipless cranks I cast all mine from 3/8 to 3/4 oz on 11 # Sunline Defier.

• Like 2

Here is why I fish braid and leaders.  What you are discribing and using only one outfit I use three.  I'd fish 12lb on 90% of what you're fishing and 15lb on the other.  I use 15lb FC on my lippless cranks and chatterbaits and some squarebills (depending on depth I'm fishing and cover).  But with what you're asking I would stick with 12lb and call it good.  Some things are better with 10lb, others 12lb, and some 15lb.  So 12lb being in the middle I'd go that way.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, An Outdoor Guy said:

you guys think 12lb would be enough for the bigger 3/8 chatter baits, 1/2oz lipless cranks as well as the 5/8oz deep diving DT14's??

I throw dt-14s on 8# line when I need them to dig a little more, 10pb is plenty strong, 12 is max for that. Jerkbaits do better on smaller line as well

• Like 1

I know I am asking a lot from one setup but I'm a bank banger so I'm trying to limit the rods I carry down to 2. this medium bait cast rod is going to (hopefully) eliminate my spinning setup. (I only use the spinning rod for worms and little rapala baits)

the braid to fluoro leader is on my medium heavy fast rod. its 50lb braid to 17lb fluoro. that way I can throw my frogs/spooks/poppers/jigs on the braid and also turn around and throw spinners/chatters/swim jigs on the fluoro.

This is all very eye opening you guys! for as long as I can remember I have always thought that 15lb is the lowest anyone should go. now that I've heard a lot of you are going with 12lb line I feel a lot better making the switch from 15lb.

• Like 1

Yea, 10 or 12 # line would be just fine to compliment what you have. Take a look at the size of the bass WRB caught in the thread he posted on this page regarding PB, line, lure, etc. Notice the 10 and 12# line and the size of the fish? As long as you don't have to pull your fish through a bunch of shoreline weeds or brush to get them to you, I would likely choose 10#. Oh, and one last thought... I would highly recommend NOT getting Berkley Vanish. Stick to Trilene XL, XT, or Big Game in 10# if you really like Berkley lines.

• Like 1

I'm just glad this isn't another "How much does this fish weigh" thread. My opinion is 12# is fine but 15# on a medium rod w/ a fast tip would give you a little more security when fishing around docks, rocks and bridge supports.

• Like 2

#12 yo-zuri hybrid will run you $14.99 for 600 yards. It has a breaking strength of 19lbs and good abrasion resistance. It would be a good choice for everything you describe. YZH #10 would also be a good choice and cast a bit better. Also has a higher breaking strength than the line is rated. 

• Like 1

Why fish with rope thick when you don't need to ?:dontknow:

3 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

My best fish of the year was caught on 8# Yozuri hybrid. For a medium action rod and those baits and weight ranges I would go 10 or 12 at the most.

I posted about a similar issue this spring and I was told to try and spool up 8# YZH.  Sure enough I was able to cast better and further and have yet to get a backlash I can't pick out in a few moments.  I bought some 12# to respool with but until the 8$ breaks my heart I am sticking with it.  

I'd use 10lb hybrid, cxx, or izorline xxx,or maybe even 10lb trilene xl It will cast better and jerkbaits and finesse stuff will have more action. 10lb should be enough unless you fish some cover and then I might go 12lb. If you want fluorocarbon I'd use sniper or invisx instead of vanish

15 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

Yea, 10 or 12 # line would be just fine to compliment what you have. Take a look at the size of the bass WRB caught in the thread he posted on this page regarding PB, line, lure, etc. Notice the 10 and 12# line and the size of the fish? As long as you don't have to pull your fish through a bunch of shoreline weeds or brush to get them to you, I would likely choose 10#. Oh, and one last thought... I would highly recommend NOT getting Berkley Vanish. Stick to Trilene XL, XT, or Big Game in 10# if you really like Berkley lines.

I'm not really stuck on one brand just yet. I like to try new lines, so far I have tried spiderwire braid, power pro braid, Berkley vanish, spiderwire fluorocarbon, and seaguar red label. so far my all time favorite is the 15lb red label but now I'm leaning strongly towards 12lb. is there a reason not to like vanish?? I have read a lot of good reviews on it and it has been my leader material on all of my rods so far...also I already bought some in 12lb and spooled up with it...what's the downfall of vanish?

14 hours ago, rippin-lips said:

#12 yo-zuri hybrid will run you $14.99 for 600 yards. It has a breaking strength of 19lbs and good abrasion resistance. It would be a good choice for everything you describe. YZH #10 would also be a good choice and cast a bit better. Also has a higher breaking strength than the line is rated. 

copoly is next on my list actually! I'm thinking about getting some izorline xxx in 15lb test but now that your saying yo-zuri has a higher breaking strength...you have just changed my mind.

5 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

You need 12# for most of those. The chatterbaits and texas rigs need 15#. 

the chatterbaits are the small 1/4oz ones and the texas rig will either be weightless or with a small 1/8oz tungsten weight. so I'm thinking 12lb would suit me best. I have another reel spooled up with 15lb if the need arises or I want to go back to my "comfort zone" I really like 15lb but after hearing all the replies I'm thinking ill switch to the 12lb to give it a try

I would be using 10# P-Line CXX for what's listed.

I'm just going to add that you need to remember to look at a lines diameter and not its rated test.  #12 pline cxx is thick and equal to other companies #14. I have #14 sunline that's smaller than other companies #12. Just remember to take that into account when making your purchase. 

I'd personally go with 10# for most of those, 12# would be fine with me as well. 

all these suggestions are good and can be had for decent prices so try a couple out....as long as its not vanish. 

11 hours ago, Lendiesel22 said:

all these suggestions are good and can be had for decent prices so try a couple out....as long as its not vanish. 

I might end up trying a co-poly in 12lb but the diameter is thicker than my fluoro. I guess its a trade off but I have to ask....what's wrong with vanish?? I have been using it all season with no problems. a lot of guys have been bashing on it and I cant find out why. I asked the previous guy who said the same thing but he hasn't responded yet. if there's something I don't know about it please tell me.

44 minutes ago, An Outdoor Guy said:

what's wrong with vanish??

Vanish...it's what happens to your fish when you use it. :P

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, An Outdoor Guy said:

I might end up trying a co-poly in 12lb but the diameter is thicker than my fluoro. I guess its a trade off but I have to ask....what's wrong with vanish?? I have been using it all season with no problems. a lot of guys have been bashing on it and I cant find out why. I asked the previous guy who said the same thing but he hasn't responded yet. if there's something I don't know about it please tell me.

Red label #15 is .013 diameter. Fluoro isn't known to be the best handling line and especially with a value fc such as red label.  Even though a mono or copoly might have the same diameter it tends to handle better verse fluoro. I'd give it a try and see what you think of it. You might be surprised.