Nathan Burton

Storm Arashi Thoughts?

I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts and feedback are with the Storm Arashi series of crank baits. I will start by giving mine: I was first introduced to the arashi line via mystery tackle box as I received one of the flat 7's. Instantly I liked the different design of the crank. I have went on to buy other arashi cranks and have at least one in each depth they produced. They seem to hold up fairly well and have become one of my more successful fish catching lures of the year.  I'm interested to hear other peoples experiences with this line.

good for you. I bought one a couple of years ago, no luck with it at all. Went back to the trusty kvd series, back in the fish.

I still keep the arashi in my tackle bag, and on occasion will use it, hoping...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, atcoha said:

good for you. I bought one a couple of years ago, no luck with it at all. Went back to the trusty kvd series, back in the fish.

I still keep the arashi in my tackle bag, and on occasion will use it, hoping...

Interesting. I will admit, it's hard to get away from the kvd line. 

Also, for anyone interested.... Cabelas has quite a few of the storm arashi models clearanced down to like 3 bucks. At that price point, you can't go wrong. 

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with an item that was "KVD approved" . So I stay away from anything that says KVD. Even him being as great as he is, and being not even 30 mins from where I'm from. I was pretty annoyed with the product. 

I love strike king frogs, spinnerbaits , and the rage plastics. But anything that says KVD on it is a no go for me. Even though I know people who only run that line of cranks.

I'm no where near a pro. But I promise I've gotten along quite well with my rapala, bomber , rebel , and bandit cranks just fine .  I will try one of those storm arashi if I can get a deal like you mentioned above. I'm 90 percent certain rapala Is an umbrella over the storm products but I'm not positive. 

• Like 1

They are OK.............but they won't be replacing the SK cranks I own anytime soon. Even though every one and I mean EVERYONE around here uses SK crankbaits, they still produce.  I have a bunch of other brands (like the Arashi) just to show them something slightly different, but it never really seems to matter. If they ain't biting a SK crankbait, they ain't biting cranks that day....period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yeajray231 said:

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with an item that was "KVD approved" . So I stay away from anything that says KVD. Even him being as great as he is, and being not even 30 mins from where I'm from. I was pretty annoyed with the product. 

I love strike king frogs, spinnerbaits , and the rage plastics. But anything that says KVD on it is a no go for me. Even though I know people who only run that line of cranks.

I'm no where near a pro. But I promise I've gotten along quite well with my rapala, bomber , rebel , and bandit cranks just fine .  I will try one of those storm arashi if I can get a deal like you mentioned above. I'm 90 percent certain rapala Is an umbrella over the storm products but I'm not positive. 

Would you mind sharing the bad experience with KVD?

I have them and really like them. I have a few each of the flat cranks, squafebills, deep cranks, and wake baits. I do well with some of the strike king baits too, but I use lots of brands, bomber, bandit, Norman, storm, rapala, bagley, xcalibur, 6th sense, duo, lucky craft, tiemco, and megabass

• Like 2

I like the Storm Arashi a lot. Have caught a few bass with them. A great lure. I also like the Rapala Scatter Rap.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nathan Burton said:

Would you mind sharing the bad experience with KVD?

It was a set of pliers. They were only like 20 dollars. Right on the package , it said KVD approved. And in an article I read he mentioned that "everything that has his name on it he has personally field tested and guarantees quality. " First time I go to use them. I had a nice bass that was nearly gut hooked. But not quite. Just real deep. Time to use those pliers. I already took them out of the package. I flipped it open. Spread the handles to open the needlenose pliers , and the damm spring pops out of it and now they won't hardly open. VERY first time I opened it. So. I decided I'm not going to buy anything "KVD approved" . People will buy anything with his name on it. If he went to YUM you can bet your ace you'd be paying 6 dollars for a pack of dingers. But not me. 

This might seem a little harsh. And maybe a little impulsive. I know there are people who live by his crank series. But for me, there are just too many brands out there that I can have every type of lure and never have to choose from just one or even 5 companies. Wayy too many. And ones that have been around since before KVD was even born. 

The man can fish. Hands down. Proved it to the world. But he's become a marketing item that I don't fall victim to. 

Obviously he's not hurting for my business. He has 7/8ths of everyone on this sites money in his pocket. 

I look at it like this ; let's say your friend told you he was gonna pick you up, and you were counting on him to be there. And it's a no call no show. I don't know about you , but I won't be counting on that friend anymore ; no matter who likes him 

The hot shad colored square bill has been my best producing square bill this year. Its caught a ton of fish and I've never had to tune it.  I've never experienced another squarebill that can be burned as fast as the Arashi 

• Like 1

I like the storm Arashi cranks.  They run true and have good colors.  However, I'm typically not brand specific with reaction baits like cranks.  I've done well with storm, kvd, Yozuri, Rapala, bandit, xcals, sebile, rebels, Normans, lucky craft, matzuo, etc.  As long as you know how to tune them (if needed), they have quality hooks, and...most importantly, you have confidence in them, they will produce.  I've ran into bad brands before but those names are escaping me at the moment.  I will say those are nice since they are self turning.

1 hour ago, Yeajray231 said:

It was a set of pliers. They were only like 20 dollars. Right on the package , it said KVD approved. And in an article I read he mentioned that "everything that has his name on it he has personally field tested and guarantees quality. " First time I go to use them. I had a nice bass that was nearly gut hooked. But not quite. Just real deep. Time to use those pliers. I already took them out of the package. I flipped it open. Spread the handles to open the needlenose pliers , and the damm spring pops out of it and now they won't hardly open. VERY first time I opened it. So. I decided I'm not going to buy anything "KVD approved" . People will buy anything with his name on it. If he went to YUM you can bet your ace you'd be paying 6 dollars for a pack of dingers. But not me. 

This might seem a little harsh. And maybe a little impulsive. I know there are people who live by his crank series. But for me, there are just too many brands out there that I can have every type of lure and never have to choose from just one or even 5 companies. Wayy too many. And ones that have been around since before KVD was even born. 

The man can fish. Hands down. Proved it to the world. But he's become a marketing item that I don't fall victim to. 

Obviously he's not hurting for my business. He has 7/8ths of everyone on this sites money in his pocket. 

I look at it like this ; let's say your friend told you he was gonna pick you up, and you were counting on him to be there. And it's a no call no show. I don't know about you , but I won't be counting on that friend anymore ; no matter who likes him 

You have every right to spend your money where you want. KVD may have a say on what has his name on it, but he wasn't at the factory in China assembling your plairs. 

I bought the arashi wake bait, but haven't used it yet. It's was on sale so I figured I'd give it a shot.

• Like 1

I've had pretty good results with their big walk the dog bait, although it doesn't walk nearly as well as I thought it would. Have not been impressed by the cranks at all. The wake bait is pretty good, although I rarely fish wake baits. I have one of their new rattle baits en route to the house and should have it by Wednesday night to give it try this fall. They seem to be very sturdy built baits for sure.

6 hours ago, DubyaDee said:

You have every right to spend your money where you want. KVD may have a say on what has his name on it, but he wasn't at the factory in China assembling your plairs. 

I bought the arashi wake bait, but haven't used it yet. It's was on sale so I figured I'd give it a shot.

You don't think I know that? , he chose to put his name on a cheap product. Plain and simple. Like I said he's not hurting for my money . He has yours and everyone else's . 

I bought a few during the storm arashi hype a year or two ago but I personally never did very well with them I'm not a big fan. maybe I should throw them more? But I probably won't I stick to my favorite square bills it's hard to sway them away from me.

@Yeajray231 Rick clunn series 3, kvd squarebill, manns baby minus , bomber square A , I think these are my go to shallow baits I always seem to fall back on even thoe I have many others.

• Like 1

I'll stick to sk and bandit. I bought a few of the arashi baits but have had no luck with them and minimal luck with the Rick clunn baits

I'd have to agree. I have some Arashis and I like them. But I love the KVD 1.5 and it's my go-to if I need to dig out a squarebill.

Lot's of mixed feedback here. I honestly think that the arashi flat 7 is one of the better cranks in my tackle box, but that's just my opinion. When I'm throwing a squarebill, its 50/50 with the KVD line and an Arashi.

• Like 1

Nathan, I have two of the Arashi flat 7's and several of the Square 3's and 5's. I picked them up on sale last year and honestly have not tried any of them. I did try a chartreuse wake bait they make but did not care for that. That Flat 7 looks awesome in the "Baby Bass" ? color. I guess I need to head up to Grand or Table Rock and chunk it some. Thanks for the report.

What kind of water conditions have you found it to be productive in? stained? clear? warm? cool? Are you digging bottom with it? Just curious. I just checked and found that I have two of those flat 7's that I think will show up below.

arashi.JPG

10 hours ago, Cranks4fun said:

Nathan, I have two of the Arashi flat 7's and several of the Square 3's and 5's. I picked them up on sale last year and honestly have not tried any of them. I did try a chartreuse wake bait they make but did not care for that. That Flat 7 looks awesome in the "Baby Bass" ? color. I guess I need to head up to Grand or Table Rock and chunk it some. Thanks for the report.

What kind of water conditions have you found it to be productive in? stained? clear? warm? cool? Are you digging bottom with it? Just curious. I just checked and found that I have two of those flat 7's that I think will show up below.

arashi.JPG

I had success on mine in water with about 5-7 feet of clarity. I have had the most luck with the flat 7 (rattling) in about 10-15 feet of water. It has become one of my go to lures for covering water.

• Like 2

Bought a few different colors both the flat7 and the regular square bill but haven't had enough luck with them to say I like them, and god knows I've tried. Now they sit more then get thrown.

I also got introduced to the arashi series via MTB, and i really liked the bait after i used it. I will definitely be looking around for some more.