Sign in to follow this  
Ramz

Jon boat trolling motor battery

I have this Minn Kota trolling motor Model 35 (24lb thrust) that I have been using on my Jon boat. I need a new battery, but that battery I was using was a EverStart Maxx Marine 12 volt battery. I wanted to use something smaller if possible to reduce weight. Any suggestions?

20160903_121636.jpg

Batteries are divided into "Group Sizes" - the batteries assigned to a "group" will have the same dimensions, and generally similar weights (for the same battery type - e.g., wet cell). 

Common battery groups for deep-cycle batterys, from biggest/heaviest, to smallest lightest, are:

Group

• 22NF
  • U1

Keep in mind that the smaller/lighter you go...the less "juice" you have with the resulting shorter run-time on your trolling motor. If you are only running around at a low speed with no wind for only an hour or two - a U1 might work. The faster/longer you want to go, and/or the higher the winds, you will need more capacity and a larger group size. You didn't say what length jon boat you have - you could get away with a smaller battery on a 10ft boat than you can a 14 ft boat.

I use a Group 24 on my canoe and have enough capacity to fish most of a day...but I wouldn't personally go any smaller than a 24 for my primary battery.

• Like 1

I have a 14 footer. I just want something that will be good for a few hours then I can come home and charge up.

Thanks by the way for the information

I have a Duracell Ultra 35Ah deep cell that I use with the exact same trolling motor.  Model number is DURDC12-35J.  It is half the size of the typical car battery that most people use. I fished today from 615 to 130. By the end of the day, my trolling motor was at about half power, but it was a bit windy and I used it to keep myself in place, and I move around quite a bit today.  If I were only out for two to three hours, I would have full power the whole time.  I just stick it on a battery tender.  

Thanks man. I appreciate the info.