I've seen their reels for sale on amazon, and they always have good reviews. (not that i trust amazon reviews) Does anybody have one? How are they?

I use amazon reviews to make a decision all the time and there was actually a review on this site the other day about them which is what got me interested. I just Bought one the other day for $35 of amazon but haven't had a chance to use it. Just based on first looks it has good internals and seems smooth. The only thing I don't like is the plastic cover but for $35 bucks I think it is a great deal. Besides the cover it has everything my favorite BPS pro qualifier has including more magnets for the brake and a few more bearings. Drag seems pretty stout as well. So I'm happy with my purchase. I only saw them in the 7.1.1 ratio tho which would only work for some of my techniques

I have a Kastking Stealth baitcaster, and I have zero complaints what so ever. I'm not a tournament angler, but it fills all my needs and so far (a couple months) it has held up great.  Casts well and reels smooth.

I was planning on trying to pickup a BPS PQ around black friday for a good deal, but now I think I'll just stick with the $35-45 Kastking reels and save the extra bucks.

Theres a lot of review on their reel on youtube, all of the ones i have seen are good, but then again its all preference 

For a budget priced baitcaster, it's hard to beat a Mettle from Academy. Pfluegar also is coming out with some nice looking, affordable casting reels (casting versions of the President and Trion). 

I'd be worried about finding parts for those reels and if the company is going to stand behind them if something goes wrong. 

I wouldn't be worried a out finding parts later for Kast a king reels. I consider those kind of reels from China as disposable reels. Cheap, if they last for a year or more, you spent your money well. 

Now with that said, I have a couple name brand reels that cost much more right out of the box, I had issues. Issues that I needed to either return or get fixed.

If you fish 2-3 times a week and a 30-50$ chinese made reel lasts you a full season, you win. Small parts are easily sourced but main gears and drive shafts will run you half or more the cost of the reel assumig you can source them. If it breaks, throw it away or buy another and use it for parts. There's a reason these are cheap. 

• Like 1

Just picked up a Mela spinning reel. Might not use it until next year but it seems nice out of the package.

If you want quality there's only one name for it -----> SHISHAMANO !!!!!

• Like 5

On 9/10/2016 at 2:54 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

I'd be worried about finding parts for these reels

I just tried out my kast king for the first time and it did well. I still prefer the feel of my pro qualifier but these things are a 3rd of the price so if they last it was $35 dollars well spent

So for some reason it wouldn't let me add text but I agree finding parts would be impossible.  Also the tolerances are nowhere near what they would be on a reel not thrown together in a Chinese sweat shop.  Why spend 45-50 bucks on one of these when you can get a shimano or daiwa or another good brand around the same price.  If you cant spend much,  look at used stuff.  A used caenan or exceller will last a lot longer and feel better than one of these. 

1 hour ago, timsford said:

.  Why spend 45-50 bucks on one of these when you can get a shimano or daiwa or another good brand around the same price.  If you cant spend much,  look at used stuff.  A used caenan or exceller will last a lot longer and feel better than one of these. 

That´s what I say but what the hell do I know ? I´ve only been doing this for 4+ decades.

Curado 200B, purchased in 1994, cost: a whopping 120 dollars !

120 / 22 = 5.45 dollars per year so far

Dunno, I bet I can squeeze another 15 years out of that reel.

• Like 1

I have 3 stealth models and love them dearly. They work well and Ive hauled in 18-20 pound striper with them flawlessly.

I've generally experienced the same results for cycling components as I do fishing equipment.....

By in large, you get what you pay for. Sure, the less expensive stuff might do great out of the box, and last a while, but your more expensive items will generally have that new feeling a lot longer and functionally work exponentially longer. 

I tend to save my nickels, dimes, and birthday money and drop the bucks on known and established brands (that means you Shimano)

• Like 2

I wrote them looking for a metal framed low-profile to buy and try to satisfy my curiosity.

Turns out everything they carry is Chinese and they have no metal framed reels.

Josh

27 minutes ago, Josh Smith said:

I wrote them looking for a metal framed low-profile to buy and try to satisfy my curiosity.

Turns out everything they carry is Chinese and they have no metal framed reels.

Josh

I'm actually impressed that you got a reply.  Puts them a little ahead of where they ranked in my head.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2016 at 12:49 AM, wisconsin heat said:

Just picked up a Mela spinning reel. Might not use it until next year but it seems nice out of the package.

How is the mela? i like the way it looks and with the price am thinking about buying one, but i am worried because people say it is cheap and will break.

26 minutes ago, Nunz said:

How is the mela? i like the way it looks and with the price am thinking about buying one, but i am worried because people say it is cheap and will break.

The Mela II is Ok I have no complaints with mine. That being said my recommendation is to spend the $7 more and get the Kastking Sharky II I have both and the Sharky II is a much better reel IMO It is a true workhorse, solid and dependable.

I had a Stealth for a while - didn’t care for it and ended up selling it. I then got a Daiwa Tatula for a little more and love it. I just thought the spool was too light and spun so fast on the Stealth you had to keep the brakes tighter than I like them to be. It also seemed a little noisy on casts. Maybe it’s personal preference, idk. 

18 minutes ago, swandog said:

I had a Stealth for a while - didn’t care for it and ended up selling it. I then got a Daiwa Tatula for a little more and love it. I just thought the spool was too light and spun so fast on the Stealth you had to keep the brakes tighter than I like them to be. It also seemed a little noisy on casts. Maybe it’s personal preference, idk. 

You are correct. The spool on the Stealth is crazy light which forces one to tighten the brakes or use the thumb more than they would like.

My advice would be to spend the few extra dollars (again $7 difference like the Mela and Sharky) and purchase the Assassin. Much better reel without the brake issues to boot.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

Much better reel without the brake issues to boot.

Agreed.  Very trouble free system.

• Like 1

If you're going to buy a Kastking go for the Spartacus or Assassin.  That platform has a dual brake with a proper centifugal brake and linear magnetic brake.  The Royal legend and Stealth have a fake centrifugal brake that is actually a tension brake.  It is not activated by centrifugal forces in any way and really shouldn't be called a centrifugal brake. 

You can get a Kastking Spartacus for as little as $31 on Aliexpress.  They are impressive reels for the money.  Mine is a great caster and is the nicest feeling plastic reel I've gotten my hands on when it comes to smoothness and noise.  It has a nicer retrive than my Casitas MGL and with the 14.6 gram Seaknight Elf shallow spool, cast light weight baits as well.

• Like 2