A-Jay

16 Sept 2016 ~ Northern Michigan Musky

Got to the lake at sunrise this morning and was greeted with a stiff SE wind that was well beyond the 5-10mph forecasted.  But that's par for the course.  I was hoping to get on a smallie bite and some wind is almost always better than none.  While I was grinding a medium diving crank into the sand right at the top of drop in 8 ft ~  BOOM. 

Got one of those strikes that make me say "Hope that's a Bass".  ( Knowing that it probably is not) The Fish bent over my cranking stick pretty good, burned way too much drag and then  . . wait for it .  . . . Launched & cart wheeled right in my grill.    MUSKY !   My first Real One.  

Hoping the 12lb test would hold & the line stayed out of the teeth, I power trolled the Lund into the deep water close by.  Between the wind, the waves & the Musky gymnastics, I had my hands full.  She looked completely awesome in the clear water & I could see her most of the fight.  Old Big Tooth wasn't going in the Frabil, so Plan B was the Boga Grip.   Played her out for a bit, and when the opportunity came - (on the second try) She was mine. 

Got some video,  spent a few minutes reviving her and away she swam. 

In the next two hours I did manage a couple of 2 lb smallies and about a dozen snot rocket pike.  The wind was kicking my butt pretty good and we were well past "the Fun" point, so I called it a day & bailed.

I'll remember this one; the Strike, the acrobatic fight and the sheer size & beauty of the fish was something special.  Bucket List - - Checked off.

Musky garmin 2.png

A-Jay

• Like 11

Nice work!  I'm jealous of how often you are able to get out there fishing for sure!

• Like 1

Bucket List for sure!  Congrats mi amigo!  Now go do it again!

Jeff

• Like 2

Accidental muskie are very happy accidents!

• Like 3

Aren't we spoiled fishing here in Michigan? On every cast we have the potential to land a world class fish. Congrats!

• Like 1

Yes and Thank You.

I do really appreciate it & never take it for granted.

Even on fishless days - there's Always the Killer Landscape & Scenery.

Michigan Fall .jpg

:)

A-Jay

• Like 1

That's a nice one! 

A-Jay, Congratulations on that nice fish!!  Beautiful markings on it as well.  Great fish to check off the bucket list.  

You guys in Michigan do have the best of all worlds.  Trophy Musky out of St. Clair, Hog Smallmouth out of Traverse City, Nice Kings and Steelhead (not to mention the nice Brown Trout) out of the Grand & Pere Marquette.  What more could you want?  I think when I die, I will end up in Michigan.

• Like 3

:respect-040::respect-059::respect-040:

• Like 1

Yeah, what a beauty!!!! Man I bet that was a good fight,,,, congrats,,,, 

• Like 1