IndianaFinesse

TRD tube-z

I just wanted your guys thoughts and modifications on the new TRD tube-z, I have been using them for a few weeks now and have been very impressed.  There have been days that the fish wouldn't eat the standard half of a zinkerz like I thought they should, but ate the tube-z like crazy.  There have also been days were it's been the other way around, but early results look promising enough to think it might even be a future co-holder with the 2.5 inch zinkerz of the standard bearer Midwest finesse bait. I've tried a few modifications on it, so far the most effective has been cutting a half an inch off the solid portion of the head and inserting the jig head inside the tube resulting in a slow spiral fall.  Both a lift and drop retrieve and swim-glide and shake retrieve have been effective at different times.

I have been very impressed with it so far.  I just used the regular mushroom head, haven't tried the tube head jig inside it yet. Will have to try that next time out.

• Like 1

I bought a few packs, but haven't been out in a month. They should be killer on a drop shot though. 

• Like 1

They hold up better than I thought they would, don't cast nearly as far, catch rate has been about the same. I have yet to get to target smallmouth with them which is where the rig really shines for me. They have a bit slower fall so they've been my choice in dirtier water to allow me to fish slower. Hoping they keep expanding on the colors available. Coppertreuse, junebug, green pumpkin/orange, and purple haze would be much appreciated. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, venom said:

I have been very impressed with it so far.  I just used the regular mushroom head, haven't tried the tube head jig inside it yet. Will have to try that next time out.

I have actually just been pushing a regular 1/16 ounce mushroom head inside the tube.

5 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

They hold up better than I thought they would, don't cast nearly as far, catch rate has been about the same.

That is the one downside I have found so far, they just aren't nearly as aerodynamic as half of a zinkerz.  Tying it on to gliss solved that problem and got my casting distance back up to an acceptable distance again.

I have fished them a few times both on a mushroom head and on an Owner Ultrahead rigged weedless.  I really like them for the later as the thin walled rear section really lets the hook pop through with ease and the this front hold on the jig very well unglued.  

I think they will replace the TRD entirely for me, but I still think a half-zinker is the most productive variation I have tried so far.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bunnielab said:

I think they will replace the TRD entirely for me, but I still think a half-zinker is the most productive variation I have tried so far.  

Variation?! Half of a zinkerz is the original bait put on mushroom jigs long before the trd was created, and is still chose over the trd by a huge majority of Midwest finesse anglers.

Hah, fair point.  I am constantly fussing with different plastics so they are just one in a dozen to me.  I have come over to the glue side but will never be happy about it, so I am forever in a quest to find a plastic that works as well as the half-zlinker but will stay on a jig without it.  

One other thing I like about the TRD-Tube is it's ability to hold a lot of scent.  If I see a nice smallie in a hole and it resists a few different retrieves I will fill the hollow cavity with megeatrike and dead stick it on the bottom of the pool.  About half the time, assuming I can hold still long enough, the bass will, after staring at if for an eternity,  slide over and gently slurp it up.

I will admit to missing these hit about half the time, I am so worked up I end up setting the hook too soon.  In my sillier moments I dream of keeping an ice fishing rod rigged with a wacky 3" senko strapped to my back to use on these passive and maddeningly visible fish.   

An early favorite "variant" is a full Hula Stick fished on a 1/16oz VMC Moon head.  They have a long hook and a wire keeper that will hold the plastic for a good while without glue.  This way I can fish the Ned as normal, but can quickly pull the plastic off, rig it wacky on the same jighead, and throw it at missed hookset or passive fish.  It worked very well and the Hula Stick has incredible action worked like a flick-shake.  I gave it up as the VMC jigs have very hard hooks that rarely survive a snag, but it was an effective way to quickly get two presentations from a single rig.  

• Like 1

How about upping the weight of the head? Wouldn't this counter the wind resistance and slower rate of fall?

• Like 1