JustJames

Have you ever?

I went for a short top water action today since it forcast to be cloudy and chance of rain here in Socal. Got to the lake where my friend was waiting for me which he showd me the bass on his chatter bait on first cast. 

The lake was quiet, couldy, water start dropping from sky. I tied jitterbug cast it out, first cast and got this.

image.jpg

After this fish, the rain start pouring a bit harder, I kept casting and casting no bite at all. I changed lure to chatter bait, senko, dropshot and back to jitterbug again and nothing work. I had been trying for more than two hours for no bite at all.

How this happened, first minute seems very good, turn to two hours for nada.

• Like 2

Conditions changed and the way the fish react to your presentations changed with it.

It's frustrating when you don't recognize its's happened. This happens more often than you would think, especially during the fall. In your situation, you missed the easiest indicator to the change; the rain started coming down harder.  What happened was the approaching frontal condition put the fish in 'active' mode and they we we willing to chase a bait. Once the front was upon you ( the heavy rain), their mood changed too. 

Often we miss the signs ( the wnd will pick up or die down, the clouds will change, birds that seemed to be flying around a lot will be absent, or the best indicator=the fish stop responding to reaction baits) and you continue to use what 'was' working instead of changing tactics.

In your case, changing to  something like a Senko would likely have produced a fish or two.  Sometimes just the opposite thing happens and your only indication is the bite will me more aggressive.  

Becoming aware of changes in your surroundings and how those changes affect the fish, is a big step to becoming a better angler. 

Sometimes the rain will make the bass very active, and sometimes the rain will just turn off the bite. 

The thing is I changed lure to other when I knew Jitterbug didnt do me any good. I kind of knew the problem with plastic I used, since I was in the mood of reaction bait so I fish with plastic too fast probably.

It rain only 10 mins but turn off the bite altogether. I guess all the fish just enjoying new water from sky.

Wat up fisheromen! its fishfanatic! haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisher-O-men said:

How did you retrieve the JB?

Just slow steady retrieve with pause in between.

Beware the curse of the first-cast fish!!!  BWAHAHAH!

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you were fishing from shore and you didn't mention moving. Maybe you and your friend had caught the active bass in the area. The changing conditions could have moved any other fish in that area as well. There are a lot of variables in fishing so it's really hard to say. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WIGuide said:

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you were fishing from shore and you didn't mention moving. Maybe you and your friend had caught the active bass in the area. The changing conditions could have moved any other fish in that area as well. There are a lot of variables in fishing so it's really hard to say. 

You are so right. I have not move very far from that spot at all. It was raining and a bit wet and I have only a couple hours to fish. ?

I started off great last Friday, then it started raining and they shut off completely, opposite of what I expected. 

10 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I started off great last Friday, then it started raining and they shut off completely, opposite of what I expected. 

Yeah from what I believe myself, the first rain alway make fish more active especially the top water bite. I can see fish jump around the lake all the time.

If there's an active fish and you are presenting everything the right way, you'll probably catch it on the first 2-3 casts, that's how it's always been for me

4 hours ago, everythingthatswims said:

If there's an active fish and you are presenting everything the right way, you'll probably catch it on the first 2-3 casts, that's how it's always been for me

That is the thing, I caught that fish in first cast, but none after that not even a bite.:(

For me,bass usually bite good as the rain( or front) approaches,then they don't bite during and after a rain.Ive observed this dozens of times.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, N Florida Mike said:

For me,bass usually bite good as the rain( or front) approaches,then they don't bite during and after a rain.Ive observed this dozens of times.

Just curious, but what are you throwing during the rain?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WIGuide said:

Just curious, but what are you throwing during the rain?

So what should I use during the rain? I also used senko and zman trd on ned jig with no take.

21 hours ago, N Florida Mike said:

soft plastics mostly

11 hours ago, JustJames said:

So what should I use during the rain? I also used senko and zman trd on ned jig with no take.

Try something like a spinnerbait, swim jig, or topwater. They aren't guaranteed to catch them then, but in my experience the fish are active, and when it's raining up, they seem to be looking up. Not that you can't catch them on bottom contact baits, but it just seems like something kept close to or on the surface seems to do better during a rain. Maybe something to try next time you find yourself in that situation.