CrustyMono

Pulaski NY Trip

my uncle is commercial fisherman in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I live in South-Eastern PA and have a house in North-East PA. We have been talking and my family wants to join him on one of his trips to Pulaski. I am only 15. according to him, i won't need to pay to fish the private sections, however it is 70$ per day per adult. Also, an out of state license is 28$ for a week. The next step is acquire gear. Will the tourney trail salmon rods and a 4000 pflueger president lt with 300yards of 200 pound test braid and a 12 pound test leader work?

9 hours ago, Yeajray231 said:

I'm kind of puzzled why you need 200lb test braid... with a 12 lb leader. 

Lol, I would probably break off a lot

1. If you are referring to the pay to fish DSG, it's flies only.

2. 200# braid? Are you nuts? Most use 8-12 lb. mono or copoly.

3. I'm not familiar with that rod.  I suggest you stop at All Season's or Fat Nancy's while your up there, to get properly rigged up.

4. There are plenty of other spots, with good access - even boat ramps - that you can fish that are public access.  I would NEVER pay to fish the DSG.

• Like 1

I agree with J Francho.  200lb braid is nuts.  I have 12lb on my setup and sometimes an 8lb leader depending on where you are fishing.  My setup was very inexpensive but I've caught many salmon and steelhead on it and its over 10 years old.  I think it is a 9ft uglystick with an Okuma spinning reel on it.  Fat Nancy's will hook you up with a good deal on the equipment. 

If you are wading the river, make sure you have a good pair of waders and a wading belt. 

One last word of advice: Have fun!

mudShark.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J Francho said:

One last word of advice: Have fun!

mudShark.jpg

That thing is uglyy lol

Why do you think we call them mud sharks? :lol:

43 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Why do you think we call them mud sharks? :lol:

I don't think he was referring to the fish... ^_^ :P

On a more serious note, 30 lb. braid with a 12lb. fluoro leader is my personal choice. 

20151015_132838_zps9cgyricv.jpg

• Like 1

I'd try braid, but I'd have to re-spool once temps dropped.  Braid and sub freezing temps don't go together.

11 hours ago, HardcoreBassin said:

I agree with J Francho.  200lb braid is nuts.  I have 12lb on my setup and sometimes an 8lb leader depending on where you are fishing.  My setup was very inexpensive but I've caught many salmon and steelhead on it and its over 10 years old.  I think it is a 9ft uglystick with an Okuma spinning reel on it.  Fat Nancy's will hook you up with a good deal on the equipment. 

If you are wading the river, make sure you have a good pair of waders and a wading belt. 

12 hours ago, J Francho said:

1. If you are referring to the pay to fish DSG, it's flies only.

2. 200# braid? Are you nuts? Most use 8-12 lb. mono or copoly.

3. I'm not familiar with that rod.  I suggest you stop at All Season's or Fat Nancy's while your up there, to get properly rigged up.

4. There are plenty of other spots, with good access - even boat ramps - that you can fish that are public access.  I would NEVER pay to fish the DSG.

200 was a typo, i meant 20 pound braid with an 8-12 pound leader

That makes more sense! That'll work. Go a little lighter on the power of the rod. You want some shock absorbsion. There's no stopping a king's first run. 

Would a 7' m and a 2500-3000 with 20 pound braid and a 12 pound leader work?