Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

30 Sept 2016 ~ Smallies in the wind

Got on the water this morning around 8-ish.  The conditions that met me at the ramp were less than ideal to say the least, especially for smallies; dark overcast sky, air temps in the high 40’s & a brisk 20 mph plus wind blasting out of the NE.  Perhaps the one thing that had me slightly optimistic is that the water temps were still at 59 degrees.   Started out following my plan and threw the U-Rig concentrating on points and inside turns of any defined green weed edge I could find (and fish effectively – the wind was relentless).  For the better part of almost 3 hours I hurled that thing and in all that time I had exactly ONE bump.  Not the awe inspiring results I was looking for.

Right around noon, while finishing off my lunch, the dark sky broke up quite a bit, enough to let intermittent sunshine peak in & out of the clouds.  It felt good.  I decided that I’d had enough of that non-productive U-Rig noise and switched up baits & tactics.  I started hitting mid-lake flats with isolated weeds patches (mostly cabbage, and it had to be green), in 5-8 feet.   I switched between SK RES 2-Tap & a SK 1.5 & eventually a 2.5 squarebill.  Didn’t matter what color, as long as it was Orange Bream.  :P This pattern has been Lights out for me this season.    From this point on – I had a day !   

It was like I was fishing on a different lake on a different day.  I’m not a big fish counter but somewhere around 25 smallies met my net along with the usual several pike by-catch (no Mutants this trip). A couple of times when a school would get particularly fired up, They were coming in 3 & 4 casts in a row.  And if you ask me, that doesn’t happen nearly enough; but it did today. Even got one lonely 2 lb LMB – he must have been lost. 

So all & all a very decent day – it’s funny though.  That NE wind blew All Day – And Hard.  But once I started getting into the bass, I hardly even noticed it. 

Here’s a brief video of two of the better fish – the wind is pretty loud there too.

A-Jay

30 Sept 2016 Nice SMB (3).png

• Like 10

This is how the day started out ~

A-Jay

Good show !   Fall does seem to be YOUR season !!

Hopefully the u-rig bite will pick up for you.  Kudos to you for always wanting to leave the comfort zone and zero in on new techniques to master...:thumbsup:

I'm headed out again this morning to a different lake - let's see if my u-rig gets bit today...

• Like 1

:respect-040:

• Like 1

I've found that lunchtime thoughts can turn a so far bad day to good in an instant as well. Being persistent and dillegent with whatever your using "can" eventually pan out, as you move along a area. But if you've gone a few hours without even a sniff? Knowing what to change over to, and when to do so? Is what I'd consider a pro trait we all aspire for.

Kudos to you A-Jay, Im sure you wish you switched lures earlier, but success is that. Congrats !!  Did you ever think of trying the U-rig again, in the area you got all them smallies? 

• Like 1

WTG A-Jay!  That lure change sure turned things around.

• Like 1

Once again, A-Jay, great stuff. Keep it up while
Mother Nature allows you too :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, "hamma" said:

I've found that lunchtime thoughts can turn a so far bad day to good in an instant as well. Being persistent and dillegent with whatever your using "can" eventually pan out, as you move along a area. But if you've gone a few hours without even a sniff? Knowing what to change over to, and when to do so? Is what I'd consider a pro trait we all aspire for.

Kudos to you A-Jay, Im sure you wish you switched lures earlier, but success is that. Congrats !!  Did you ever think of trying the U-rig again, in the area you got all them smallies? 

Thanks ~ 

I did not go back to the U-rig once I started getting bit.   Come to think of it I didn't even consider it.  That hard bait bite was just too good.    

And I hear what you're saying and am a proponent of testing baits & techniques during a strong bite rather than doing it in the dead sea.  

When the action would cool of, which seemed to coincide with when the sun went behind the clouds for a while, and with both the The U-rig rods "resting" in the rod locker,  I did try a jerkbait, a small single swimbait & a tube.  The jerkbait was for whatever reason ignored and Pike kept biting off the swimbait tails and the entire tube.   None of this was much fun.  

But once I either switched back to a RES or the squarebill & / or the sun popped back out - it was on again.

A-Jay

8 hours ago, Goose52 said:

Good show !   Fall does seem to be YOUR season !!

Hopefully the u-rig bite will pick up for you.  Kudos to you for always wanting to leave the comfort zone and zero in on new techniques to master...:thumbsup:

I'm headed out again this morning to a different lake - let's see if my u-rig gets bit today...

Thanks - I have done OK 

Good Luck this morning - I've got Rain all weekend.  Next week looks good though.

A-Jay

6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Good Luck this morning - I've got Rain all weekend.  Next week looks good though.

A-Jay

NO u-rig bite for me after cranking it for about 90 minutes total today.  In fact, about 30 minutes after I cranked across a usually good area with the u-rig and got zip...I went back across that area dragging/hopping a little Ultravibe Speed Craw and got 3 LMB. :lol:

Will be hitting yet another lake tomorrow morning and will get the rig wet again...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goose52 said:

NO u-rig bite for me after cranking it for about 90 minutes total today.  In fact, about 30 minutes after I cranked across a usually good area with the u-rig and got zip...I went back across that area dragging/hopping a little Ultravibe Speed Craw and got 3 LMB. :lol:

Will be hitting yet another lake tomorrow morning and will get the rig wet again...

Nice ~  I'm thinking the water's got to cool off quite a bit before we'll see the U-Rig really shine.

We might be jumping the gun, sort of speak.

A-Jay