whitwolf

The Importance of preserving some history

Some on here have seen my dedicated Rebel thread and one of the replies from @Catt re-energized something I was thinking about and working on. I started fishing Rebel baits in the 70's with the Naturalized Perch deep wee r. I bought It because It was cheap and I thought It looked cool. It helped matters that It caught fish. I also loved fishing a plastic worm way back when and the Rebel ringworm was a staple in my box. 

I fished Rebel baits for many years but like most anglers as the years went by and the latest and greatest baits came along I drifted away from the brand and only fished them on occasion. It stayed that way up until a couple of years ago. I had six(6) baits left and went to order a few for posterity and to my surprise they offered none of the baits I had grown up fishing. I did some research and found out they had discontinued many of the baits I had cut my bass fishing teeth with. It was after some thought that I thought I would check ebay just to see. To my surprise there was a plethora of those baits and I have been buying what I could and now have  a small collection that has It's own dedicated board for display. I will be eternally grateful to Mr. George Perrin for starting Rebel bait company and helping me to make some pretty special memories in my young fishing life. 

This is a preamble of sorts to preserving and sharing some history of a bait company that produced some pretty special baits. I will attempt to do a thorough job In passing down some history, show a few pictures now and then, and I hope this thread(series) might show some of the younger folks a little  history of a storied bait company.  I assure the folks that read this It is not for "likes" or some sort of a "pat on the back" thread; Its sole purpose Is to pass along something to a community that means a great deal to me. 

Lastly, there will be much more to come and while It might come sporadically It will be here, be accurate, and it will show this posters passion for a series of baits that are a part of the past.

SANY1297.JPG

SANY1276.JPG

SANY1372.JPG

• Like 27

Cool collection Whitwolf. Much like you I started fishing with Rebel lures. Mostly because they were the only lures I could find at the local 5 & dime store. Its nice to see those lures I remember from my youth.

• Like 2

@Gundog "five and dime" A phrase once heard often and now not much. Thanks for this!

A few starters for this fine Sunday!

SANY1321.JPG

SANY1352.JPG

SANY1515.JPG

SANY1507.JPG

• Like 10

Ah! To think what I would have done with that Clect-a-color kit when I was 12... or maybe even today.

• Like 3

Here's a little known fact: I found out last night after being asked a question by our own Buzzed Bait that Rebel made a series of craws  that were painted by Mega Bass. This was done In the last five(5) years or so and there's been no definitive answer as to why this was done other than a way to present and sell more craws through some great partnership. They are absolutely beautiful baits. If you want to take a look go to the "latest tackle purchase" thread and enjoy. :)

• Like 2

Very nice collection of Rebel lures. 

• Like 1

If I had some vintage Deep Wee R's they would be tied on and wet .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, whitwolf said:

Here's a little known fact: I found out last night after being asked a question by our own Buzzed Bait that Rebel made a series of craws  that were painted by Mega Bass. This was done In the last five(5) years or so and there's been no definitive answer as to why this was done other than a way to present and sell more craws through some great partnership. They are absolutely beautiful baits. If you want to take a look go to the "latest tackle purchase" thread and enjoy. :)

if brad doesn't know something about rebel, he'll find somebody that does!  after seeing his rebel collection (addiction) i knew he'd know something or someone that could tell me a little about the baits i recently acquired and sure enough he did.

for a wolfpack weirdo he's not a bad guy and that's really saying a lot!  

• Like 1

Very cool stuff!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2016 at 5:56 AM, whitwolf said:

@Gundog "five and dime" A phrase once heard often and now not much. Thanks for this!

SANY1321.JPG

SANY1352.JPG

SANY1515.JPG

SANY1507.JPG

I had both of those "frogs" the skirt material ruined the paint on the belly ( making it "gummy" ), I removed the skirt and fished them without it ( the hook needed a really good honing because it was as dull as my finger ), they were in practical terms the only lure that could be used to fish a couple of ponds I used to visit.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2016 at 6:56 AM, whitwolf said:

SANY1321.JPG

SANY1352.JPG

SANY1515.JPG

SANY1507.JPG

A paint your own lures kit??? That's awesome. I have my grandpa's last tackle box, a rebel 635. It stays at home for terminal tackle and spools of line mostly but I find myself rummaging through it at least once a week for old lures to throw a few times while I'm out.

Also, how are those moss masters supposed to be fished? I have a couple and never knew what to do with them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

A paint your own lures kit??? That's awesome. I have my grandpa's last tackle box, a rebel 635. It stays at home for terminal tackle and spools of line mostly but I find myself rummaging through it at least once a week for old lures to throw a few times while I'm out.

Also, how are those moss masters supposed to be fished? I have a couple and never knew what to do with them.

As the name implies, "moss masters" are to be fished above "moss", which actually means to be dragged above surface vegetation and "dropped" to sink on openings on the vegetation bed. 

• Like 3

Great article: http://www.rebellures.com/journal/rebel-lures-celebrates-50-years

Rebel bait company made many, many products. It's truly mind boggling at the variety. 

Here's a Deep Wee R that you won't see everyday. :)

SANY1525.JPG

• Like 1

I would love for them to bring the Deep wee R back but with the front hook hanger moved forward . That was a design flaw and the hooks were constantly tangled . Great bait other wise . My favorite one was a naturalized Crappie . That lure  had the  "It"  factor .  A nice tight wiggle that tracked straight and would end up under the boat at the end of the retrieve .A lot of my Deep Wee Rs never could be tuned to track like that.  I lost it last year in a sunken  brush pile . I knew better than to cast it there . 

• Like 2

For the best reading about not only Rebel but all of early bass fishing visit bass fishing archives.

Here's a link about the Rebel Bass Boat!

http://bassfishingarchives.com/tag/rebel-bass-boat

• Like 4

I represent some of those younger anglers here so let me start by thanking you for sharing your story and photos of those awesome Rebel baits. I really enjoyed reading it and I love learning about some of those older lures and companies. Believe it or not I actually have my own Rebel lure story from back in the day. The Rebel floating cricket is actually the first lure I ever caught a fish on and its what sparked my desire to learn how to fish for bass. Their great lures and I look forward to your future posts on them.

• Like 2

Whitwolf:  Brought great memories for me at age 63.  I remember fishing on the Ohio River in Kentucky with my Uncle using thos lil Rebels for channel cats.  Caught turtles too and Aunt made soup.  That tackle box in your photo I had at one time and cant recall what happened to it - back in the early 70's I believe?  Now, I am a bait addict (restraining self) and do occasionally go to those estate sales looking for old baits.  As I approach my retirement marker, you are giving me good ideas to keep me and some grandkids excited.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Any body remember Rapala with the emphasis on the second syllable?  That was before audible adds taught us how to pronounce the name correctly. ;)

• Like 2

Yes I do, "Ra-paw-la" versus "Rap-a-la".  To this day, when mentioning their baits, I typically stutter & say "Rapaw...uh Rapala"

• Like 3

My stepdaughter Is getting married a little later today but did want to take a break and pass this little tid-bit along: The way to tell a deep wee r that was made In North America and one made from China Is fairly simple. The line tie on the North American made bait has a screw into the lip base and the China made bait has a "u" shaped clasp type deal that the split ring fits to. 

Look closely at these deep teeny r's : 

SANY1289.JPG

• Like 1

A little history: The Humpback Is a classic design that has had a place In many tackle boxes for many years; BUT did you know the first  Incarnation of this bait had no rattles and a metal lip and was not called a Humpback but simply a deep diver? If you didn't before you do now. :)

Here are a couple of pictures of these early baits plus a metal lipped minnow. Enjoy!

SANY1548.JPG

SANY1549.JPG

• Like 1