Sign in to follow this  
Bass Turd

Braid backing on casting reels? Aaron Martens

Interesting... Aaron says you get 10 to 20 feet longer casts because the braid is lighter and it allows your spool to spin faster. 

If that's true, wouldn't you get even more distance if you just spooled your entire reel with braid and just used a mono or fluoro leader? Not saying it does or doesn't a little distance, but if you're doing it to gain distance wouldn't you just want to go all out and gain as much as possible?

When he switched boat sponsors, the first feature he pointed out was the fact his new one had a metal gas tank...you know cuz they don't stink like the plastic ones. Nothing to do with layout, ride, handling, creature comforts...but the type of gas tank was his first and biggest point. He's a great fisherman, but he's quite "interesting" all the way around. 

35 minutes ago, WIGuide said:

If that's true, wouldn't you get even more distance if you just spooled your entire reel with braid and just used a mono or fluoro leader? Not saying it does or doesn't a little distance, but if you're doing it to gain distance wouldn't you just want to go all out and gain as much as possible?

When he switched boat sponsors, the first feature he pointed out was the fact his new one had a metal gas tank...you know cuz they don't stink like the plastic ones. Nothing to do with layout, ride, handling, creature comforts...but the type of gas tank was his first and biggest point. He's a great fisherman, but he's quite "interesting" all the way around. 

I would think flouro or mono being smooth would cast farther all other things being equal. The bumpy surface of braid causes much more friction as it goes through all the guides on the rod and the line guide of the reel. 

4 minutes ago, Bass Turd said:

I would think flouro or mono being smooth would cast farther all other things being equal. The bumpy surface of braid causes much more friction as it goes through all the guides on the rod and the line guide of the reel. 

braid out-casts fluoro and mono easily, no matter how "bumpy" the braid is. The memory from your fluoro/mono would cause way more friction than braid can

43 minutes ago, WIGuide said:

Because he doesnt want braid mainline with a leader, he wants straight fluoro from his reel to the bait. What comes after the reel doesnt matter so he puts on braid to lighten up the spool and get further casting.

If there's one thing he is known for it's the small details of things. I've seen this video before and at some point will get bored enough to place 2 identical spools on my scales and see the difference between the two with and without braid backing. 

• Like 1

I heard Martens has amended his practice to using spider web instead of braid. Spider web has a greater tinsel strength in relation to diameter than anything man made.....and it's biodegradable.  That's a win win right there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Columbia Craw said:

I heard Martens has amended his practice to using spider web instead of braid. Spider web has a greater tinsel strength in relation to diameter than anything man made.....and it's biodegradable.  That's a win win right there.

lol.... if anyone would try it i'd imagine it would be him!

14 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

lol.... if anyone would try it i'd imagine it would be him!

I definitely agree. If he thinks he can gain even an ants 'you know what' advantage somehow he's gonna test it out. 

this makes sense.  on the spool, have a lighter line (braid) as your backing, and a heavier line (mono or flouro) spooled up from there, would carry more momentum as the reel spins allowing the lure go farther.  Interesting concept, but I'll stick with a cheap mono backer, if I'm using a backer.  

A lighter spool will start up easier, allowing lighter baits to be cast. Less inertia. That also means less momentum. It will start faster and it will stop faster, not spin longer. You can't have it both ways.

That road ain't downhill in both directions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

A lighter spool will start up easier, allowing lighter baits to be cast. Less inertia. That also means less momentum. It will start faster and it will stop faster, not spin longer. You can't have it both ways.

That road ain't downhill in both directions.

Beat me to it. 

Don't forget the piece of black electricians tape that keeps that braid from slipping on the spool.  That alone should weigh about .77653 grams.  I know, my middle initials are SA.

1 hour ago, Columbia Craw said:

Don't forget the piece of black electricians tape that keeps that braid from slipping on the spool.  That alone should weigh about .77653 grams.  I know, my middle initials are SA.

a mart uses double sided scotch tape to keep the weight down.....  

man aaron is a weird dude and i mean that in the nicest way possible i'm sure hes awesome to hang out with but he just seems a little awkward sometimes