Tom_Redington

Pretty cool or super stupid? Boat flipping a double digit

Ha!  Probably both.  Was fishing on Falcon a few years ago with a friend and they were biting like crazy.  Mostly big to really big fish.  To the point where 7s and 8s were kind of meh, just another good one, that one was pulling hard, though she was a BIG one.  Talk about spoiled!  Then this whopper bit, went streaking out of shallow cover to deep water, finally coming at the boat.  My hands were pretty raw from lipping fish and I was feeling pretty confident so I just swung her in.  Don't think I'd try it in a tourney!!!!

You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/rMK6jG_4EQY

• Like 8

What's the title of the video?

15 minutes ago, Tom_Redington said:

"Flipping a 10 lb bass into the boat" on YouTube. 

Thank you for posting this video! That's a beautiful bass and a very good fishing rod to flip a bass of that size so easily.

Great Bass ~  but Boat flipping it could be Pretty Cool, Super Stupid, Pretty Stupid or Super Cool.

Regardless of how it's described, I never have to do it.

You see Tom,  I'm one of the odd and increasingly rare men who actually can bend at the waste.

Combine that with mad bass netting skills - now we're talking.

Either way, that Beast of a Bass ended up in your hand, and but most all accounts, that's what matters.

btw - where ya been ?

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 3

Tom,  The video with you and Justin at Falcon in 2012 is my all time favorite.  The original music was a bit freaky but the catches were something.  This one was slick.  Bouncing a ten. Scary.  Was that a 746?

Whoops.  I just saw it was a 736. Figures.

Nice Bass!, Its a rare occasion that 7's and 8' are "Eh, another one" no matter where you fish.,.. But those are the days to cherish, they force memories and incredible goals to surpass. Congrats and good luck in the future.

While my personal best doesn't even hit 6lbs, I never boat flip anything I think is over 3lbs.  Even on tournament day, I net everything but dinks.  

BTW, super nice bass and I hope to someday have the problem of 7's & 8's are blah.

Wow, pretty cool imo.   I'd never do it, but then again I've never caught a double digit bass.

If I caught anything NEAR double digits, I'd be in the water with it-giving it a bear hug.

• Like 4

10 lbs guesstimate weight or weighed? Healthy looking bass.

Looks more like a dead weight lift in lieu of flip or bounce into the boat,  lucky the rod don't break.

Tom

• Like 1

A 3lber is a lunker at my lake.  I don't boat flip anything.  I caught a 6lb 7oz fish from the bank this summer and everyone I work with went crazy saying it was a lake record.  I have no way to prove it was a lake record.

5 hours ago, Dypsis said:

While my personal best doesn't even hit 6lbs, I never boat flip anything I think is over 3lbs.  Even on tournament day, I net everything but dinks.  

BTW, super nice bass and I hope to someday have the problem of 7's & 8's are blah.

Same, depending on the rod I will net anything over 2. Stronger rods I feel better about doing it with 3's. 

The only time I flip quality bass is when I'm fishing big swimbaits, because the more time they spend with the bait in their mouth while they are in the water, the more likely you are to lose the fish. Not to mention the rod I use for that has no problem swinging a 4-5lb bass in the boat!

I don't think I would ever swing a 10, but it looks cool on video and you can say you've done it! There is a bigbassdreams video where Oliver boat flips a DD and on the next cast loses an even bigger DD when he tries to flip it in the boat.

Thanks guys.  I have been burned a ton of times in tourneys & fun fishing swinging fish. Sadly, only a few more times than losing a fish while waiting for the net or trying to slow play it to get it in the net.  Hamming it up and swinging them in plays well on video, hence the swing that day. Easier to do when the big ones are biting all day.

I still have that rod, serves as a frog rod these days. I have friends that seem to break any brand of rod they own, others who very rarely do.  Thankfully, I fall into the later crowd. Except when walking into cabins with ceiling fans, doh!!

• Like 1