Sign in to follow this  
MBB Nate

I wish I had a GoPro Today

So this morning I'm out catching dinks at my favorite spot on a ned rigged Shadz.  I catch this little guy but he engulffed the hook.

2vmeft4.jpg

I do my best to remove the hook but he was bleeding when he hit the bank.  I get the hook out doing as little damage as possible and release him.

He swims out about 5-10 ft from shore and isn't looking too good and just kind of circles on the top of the water slowly. I continue fishing but keep an eye on the little fella.  

He turns and starts swimming towards me slowly and I tell him I'm sorry little buddy, I did all I could.  

Then out of the abyss, BAM! A 20 lb hybrid comes up and takes him whole!  I almost fell into the water, it scared the crap out of me.  I quickly cut off my ned rig and tie on a bass swimbait and chuck it in.  About 10 casts in my lure gets hit like a freight train!  I start fighting him and can see the fish coming to the surface, it's by far the biggest hybrid I've ever hooked up with!  

Just when I think I have the upper hand I start bringing him in.  The fish decided he wasn't having any of that, makes a turn for it and PING....breaks me off :(

In hindsight a med spin rod with 6lb fluoro probably wasn't the best idea, especially when I had 2 rods next to me with 15lb yo zuri and 15 lb big game I could have thrown.

Oh well, I'm happy the little squeeker guy didn't have to suffer long and a monster got a meal.

• Like 9

Good story! We do all we can to save the fish from injury when we catch and release them but the lesson to learn here is nothing goes to waste. It's the cycle of life. Either another fish will eat it or a bird of prey will swoop down on it or scavengers on the bank will get it. It will provide a meal for something else. 

• Like 1

Good report.I personally would go fishing for the 20 pound hybrid striped bass more often after seeing what you described. 

10 hours ago, soflabasser said:

Good report.I personally would go fishing for the 20 pound hybrid striped bass more often after seeing what you described. 

Im shore stricken until I get my kayak for next spring or I would!   The largies aren't very big in the lake but a large number of 15lb plus hybrids get caught.

1 hour ago, MBB Nate said:

Im shore stricken until I get my kayak for next spring or I would!   The largies aren't very big in the lake but a large number of 15lb plus hybrids get caught.

You will be surprised what you can catch from the shore if you put in your time.Many land based fishermen have caught bigger bass from land than most people with expensive bass boats.Its the fisherman, not his gear that determines what he catches. 

Good story.  Sure it wasn't a 10 lb'r you threw back and a 50lb striper took it? :P

• Like 1