iabass8

DIY portable phone charger

Made this earlier today. Phone will never go dead on my boat again! Fits right in my pocket.

IMG_0237.JPG

• Like 4

If you don't have a cigarette lighter outlet on your boat, you can easily connect one to one of your batteries. $5 buys a USB adapter and you won't need the 9 volt batteries in your little box. 

• Like 1

Very nice.I might make myself one of those cell phone chargers since I often fish in areas where I am a good distance away from my car. 

Cool. A custom Altoids charger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .ghoti. said:

Cool. A custom Altoids charger. 

For the angler who's breathe mints aren't strong enough. 

• Like 1

thats cool and all, but i dont see why people dont charge their phones before going out where a place to charge your phone isnt readily available. i let my phone charge every night while i sleep, it lasts all day the next day. you should try it especially if you have plans to go out somewhere the next morning/day...

• Like 1

I have a fairly new phone (Galaxy S7) and if I leave GPS on and I use Navionics, or most other apps, I can't get a full day out of one charge.  Now...if I turn off GPS and WiFi and don't use my phone at all while out, I can get a couple days from one charge.  I like the security of a back-up -- without it, I am reluctant to use it when I might otherwise get some benefit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Bear said:

thats cool and all, but i dont see why people dont charge their phones before going out where a place to charge your phone isnt readily available. i let my phone charge every night while i sleep, it lasts all day the next day. you should try it especially if you have plans to go out somewhere the next morning/day...

CHARGE IT EVERY DAY YOU SAY? BLASPHEMY! 

Anyway...Between work, GPS, podcasts, and random internet browsing, my phone is near dead towards the end of the day everyday. Brand new phone. Charge it daily. Nature of the beast /w these phones.

It's just peace of mind to have a portable charger of some kind on the water. Same reason I have a jump start wired on my boat. Engine charges the cranking battery when running but spend 8 hours in 1 spot /w graphs/wells/pumps running and batteries have the chance to die..even /w an odyssey 31.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Anyway...Between work, GPS, podcasts, and random internet browsing, my phone is near dead towards the end of the day everyday.

Yea. And just think if you were making phone calls with it!!!!:D

• Like 1

Curiously strong

• Like 3

Having that extra 9V with exposed terminals inside a highly conductive tin is a bad idea. 9V batteries will burst into flames when grounded.

12 minutes ago, Crappiebasser said:

Having that extra 9V with exposed terminals inside a highly conductive tin is a bad idea. 9V batteries will burst into flames when grounded.

Shhh...

• Like 2

Looks cool, but my phone ends up in the lake before the battery even gets low

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crappiebasser said:

Good to know. Maybe covering the extra battery with a rubber cover will fix the problem. 

20 hours ago, Red Bear said:

I charge my phone every night and on my way to the lake but when your fishing KBF events threw tourneyX and constantly snapping pics and uploading them to the site while on the water your phone can die rather fast especially when you have sprint and no service. I carry a portable charger on the water with me for thatvery reason. I would hate to have my phone die then catch a winning fish and not be able to score it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clayton86 said:

I would hate to have my phone die then catch a winning fish and not be able to score it.

This always concerned me when I was doing them.

i guess i just dont play on my phone as much as some of you

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Red Bear said:

i guess i just dont play on my phone as much as some of you

Probably.  I do not have cable TV, internet, or any PCs at home.  Just my phone and a couple of tablets.

14 hours ago, Crappiebasser said:

13 hours ago, deaknh03 said:

Shhh...

At least you'll be near water if anything does happen. :P

images.png

11 hours ago, soflabasser said:

Good to know. Maybe covering the extra battery with a rubber cover will fix the problem. 

Maybe line the altoids can with something like flexseal or a liquid truck bed liner . BTW I am not a electrician and know nothing about electrical things or how they operate so don't take any of my advice in this subject as anything more than the rantings of a barely sane human.

• Like 1

Very cool! After being stranded in the wilderness once with a dying phone I can completely understand the urge to have a simple back up! The most I do on my phone while fishing is snap a picture or text the wife. I will leave the phone in the truck if I'm not venturing very far away, I just tell the wife a general time of when I'll be home, if I'm not, she can send out the fire department to drag my carcass out of the lake...

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 8:10 PM, Crappiebasser said:

Hey, hey, hey! I was waiting to see iabass's next post being "well,  my pants caught on fire today. ..."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, J Francho said:

Probably.  I do not have cable TV, internet, or any PCs at home.  Just my phone and a couple of tablets.

but even then i think to myself, why not just buy one of those proper devices that hold a charge and can charge your phone in such cases, like when out on the water, theyre not that expensive unless you want the expensive one. my uncles boat even has a built in phone charger, i know everyone doesnt though. it also brings me to wonder, are people actually fishing all day, or playing with their phone half the day or more while out on the water. taking a few photos doesnt use that much battery, and you can always upload them to facebook and the likes later on, which would actually give yo more time fishing and less time burning up phone battery...

• Like 1

Have you ever made something yourself?