Mundo318

Split Ring Removal

32 posts in this topic

Im a firm supporter of the texas tackle split ring pliers. I had been using a cheap pair with the point onthe end. Wife bought me the texas tackle ones for my birthday and i havent looked back. Well worth it, especially if you are like me and upgrade the stock hooks and change the line tie to an oval ring. 

1 person likes this

I use a micro screw driver.  Jam it in between, and twist to spread the split ring.

1 hour ago, junyer357 said:

Im a firm supporter of the texas tackle split ring pliers. I had been using a cheap pair with the point on the end.

Absolutely some of the best money I've ever spent on a tackle purchase. Pains me to reflect back on all the years spent doing things the hard way, fingernails and willow leaf blades 😩

I have a pair of BPS split ring pliers/braid cutter combo.They work great and only like 8 bucks.

1 hour ago, junyer357 said:

texas tackle split ring pliers. 

Welp, you guys have convinced me.  I just started replacing almost all my trebles with single hooks/barbless trebles and I am already sick of fussing with the cheap pliers I have now.  

4 hours ago, Bunnielab said:

Welp, you guys have convinced me.  I just started replacing almost all my trebles with single hooks/barbless trebles and I am already sick of fussing with the cheap pliers I have now.  

You won't regret it if you get them

I'm 60+ years old now and every time I pick up at tool I hear my high school shop teacher yelling at me to. "USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB!!"     When it comes to messing with split rings, there isn't any substitute for a GOOD set of split ring pliers.

I have a pair of the Texas tackle ones, with the orange handles, mostly because a long time ago, Tackle Tour recommended them as the best pair of split ring pliers they had come across.

1 person likes this