Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all this is my first post here as I am new to this forum. My questions are, has anyone ever used bearings from Sapporo that are made in Japan. I have bought 2 sets in the abec7 spec and they are stainless steel balls with stainless steel racers. How would they compare to Boca abec5 ceramics? Also I have 2 daiwa tatulas a Revo s and a lews lfs do they all share the same size worm shaft bearing size? Thanks for any input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not, have never heard of/seen them.  Where'd you get them?

 

I use Boca's for replacements if required, but when I want performance upgrade I'll use Hedgehog from now on.  I think they are better.

 

I don't know for sure about the worm shaft sizes across the different brands but I would think they are all the same size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call the Tackle Trap if you want to get into hot rodding reels they have all the goodies and can steer you in the right direction.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

Call the Tackle Trap if you want to get into hot rodding reels they have all the goodies and can steer you in the right direction.

Absolutely!  Awesome place to deal with!  Funny thing, I'm headed there right now for some parts....again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A reel doesn't have high enough sustained speeds to benefit from more than an ABEC5. Ceramic hybrids benefits are increased corrosion resistance for saltwater use and ability to be run dry for spool speed.  Ceramic balls are rounder, harder and smoother than SS. Cleaning and proper lubrication of stock bearings should be the first step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

A reel doesn't have high enough sustained speeds to benefit from more than an ABEC5. Ceramic hybrids benefits are increased corrosion resistance for saltwater use and ability to be run dry for spool speed.  Ceramic balls are rounder, harder and smoother than SS. Cleaning and proper lubrication of stock bearings should be the first step. 

Not to sidetrack but don't the Ceramic also make that noise when casting? Somewhere I read or heard that. Just me but I would not want those that make that noise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think so, but what actually happens is you backlash less with an easier starting spool. You avoid the tendency to horse it to get things moving which reduces abrupt acceleration and deceleration. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

Not to sidetrack but don't the Ceramic also make that noise when casting? Somewhere I read or heard that. Just me but I would not want those that make that noise. 

I have boca ceramics in all my reels and they do make a little noise, but not loud or anything I ever notice.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JDNKC said:

I have boca ceramics in all my reels and they do make a little noise, but not loud or anything I ever notice.  

Oh I didn't know but some YT videos give the impression they make a pretty audible sound. Probably just the position of the mic etc. Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried all kinds of different bearings in my reels. Bocas, ZPI, hedgehog, and some others.

 

My conclusion: 

Stick with the stock bearings. Unless the bearings are bad or rough, then there's really no need to replace them.

A good cleaning and light weight oil can make a world of difference. 

 

I really can't tell a difference between my reels with aftermarket bearings and the stock ones. Both feel about the same.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hedgehog ZR bearings get really good reviews too and they're pretty cheap. Might be a option. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×