Jump to content
Carter11neal

I'm struggling please help me!

Recommended Posts

I've been bass fishing basically all my life. And now I can't even get a bite. I'm on vacation in Florida. I'm in a private gated community called Grand Harbor in Vero Beach. I'm wondering if anyone has ever fished the ponds in the community? I've been trying all week and all I've caught is a 1lb 3 ounce bluegill. I'm not complaining but I just want to catch a bass. Anything you can tell me will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would google local tackle shops. Go in and ask where they suggest to fish and with what. They know their area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fishnkamp said:

I would google local tackle shops. Go in and ask where they suggest to fish and with what. They know their area.

I have tried this but all they tell me is how to fish saltwater, they don't seem to aknowledge that freshwater fishing is a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a weightless lizard with a 3/0 hook. Reel it just fast enough to keep it on top. I did very well on private ponds with this in Florida last time I was there with the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bassguytom said:

Try a weightless lizard with a 3/0 hook. Reel it just fast enough to keep it on top. I did very well on private ponds with this in Florida last time I was there with the family. 

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard!

 

What other methods are you using for bass?

Is there any structure, humps, downed trees

or such in the pond? I suspect not if in a gated

community.

 

A spinnerbait, TX rig, even a Ned rig could all 

produce fish. There's a ton of material on the

forums on each of those.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darren. said:

Welcome aboard!

 

What other methods are you using for bass?

Is there any structure, humps, downed trees

or such in the pond? I suspect not if in a gated

community.

 

A spinnerbait, TX rig, even a Ned rig could all 

produce fish. There's a ton of material on the

forums on each of those.

 

Good luck!

I've tried a spinner bait, chatterbait, buzz toads, swimbaits and senkos. The only cover I can see/feel is vegation, rocks, and drainage pipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carter11neal said:

I've tried a spinner bait, chatterbait, buzz toads, swimbaits and senkos. The only cover I can see/feel is vegation, rocks, and drainage pipes.

 

When you say senkos, are you TX rigging them, or

wacky style? Either way, I've fished a few ponds

here that sound like yours and I found that mostly

slow presentations caught the fish.

 

I'd suggest a drop shot rig with a small minnow or

finesse worm. And be patient. You've tried a lot of

power fishing techniques, might need to sloooow 

down and go with a more finesse approach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darren. said:

 

When you say senkos, are you TX rigging them, or

wacky style? Either way, I've fished a few ponds

here that sound like yours and I found that mostly

slow presentations caught the fish.

 

I'd suggest a drop shot rig with a small minnow or

finesse worm. And be patient. You've tried a lot of

power fishing techniques, might need to sloooow 

down and go with a more finesse approach.

I've tried Texas rigging it and wacky rigging it. I need to and will slow it down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carter11neal said:

I've tried Texas rigging it and wacky rigging it. I need to and will slow it down

 

Yeah, the old saying goes like this:

 

"When you think you're going slow enough, slow down some more."

:) 

 

Downsizing the bait can help, too. I love to rig a Yamamoto Shad

Shape Worm via drop shot, wacky, and Texas. Little tail works

its magic. Bluegill like it, too, but bass love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have several Florida members that can help you. Your area has good canals with bass, just watch where you walk...gators!

I would think a Senko and Rapala F13 minnow would be very effective.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super fluke and swim jig both work wonders to simulate more natural prey.  4 inch swim baits normally get murdered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoom trick worm, rigged weedless and weightless. Work the entire bank. Throw it out and wait a while before moving the bait. If no takers on that rig there just isn't any bass in the pond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a stupid question but....

 

Are you sure there's bass in there at all?

 

If you've done all the things you say you have and there's not some insane variable giving the fish lock jaw (ridiculously cold temps, weird algae bloom, chemical spill, etc....) then the simplest explanation is that there aren't any bass in that body of water.

 

My advice? Switch locations.

 

Fortunately you're in Florida and the you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a bass pond. Get on Google maps and turn the satellite mode off and search for bodies of water near where you're staying.

 

I do this every time I visit Florida to find quick little spots to fish. Oh, and don't turn your nose up at tiny ponds and even drainage canals. You can literally catch bass from storm drains in Florida, bass are everywhere...... dont waste your time banging your head against the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jon Morris said:

This may be a stupid question but....

 

Are you sure there's bass in there at all?

 

If you've done all the things you say you have and there's not some insane variable giving the fish lock jaw (ridiculously cold temps, weird algae bloom, chemical spill, etc....) then the simplest explanation is that there aren't any bass in that body of water.

 

My advice? Switch locations.

 

Fortunately you're in Florida and the you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a bass pond. Get on Google maps and turn the satellite mode off and search for bodies of water near where you're staying.

 

I do this every time I visit Florida to find quick little spots to fish. Oh, and don't turn your nose up at tiny ponds and even drainage canals. You can literally catch bass from storm drains in Florida, bass are everywhere...... dont waste your time banging your head against the wall.

 

7 hours ago, Kidflex said:

Zoom trick worm, rigged weedless and weightless. Work the entire bank. Throw it out and wait a while before moving the bait. If no takers on that rig there just isn't any bass in the pond. 

I started wondering if there were bass at all, now I think there aren't any, but still shouldn't there be some sort of predator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Carter11neal said:

I've been bass fishing basically all my life. And now I can't even get a bite. I'm on vacation in Florida. I'm in a private gated community called Grand Harbor in Vero Beach. I'm wondering if anyone has ever fished the ponds in the community? I've been trying all week and all I've caught is a 1lb 3 ounce bluegill. I'm not complaining but I just want to catch a bass. Anything you can tell me will help.

Throw a watermelon red 4" stick bait in there. If that doesn't work, go find another pond lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a bag of 4" senkos in watermelon red.  Rig them on a #3 EWG thin wire Gama hook, and a 1/32 bullet weight.  You will catch fish in Fkirida with this rig.  Change up the cadence from a dead stick to a hop and stop, to a slow drag, to a steady jerk  Change the cadence until you find what they want.  You will catch bass when nothing else will, it has worked for me all over Florida.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its a fairly new community there very well may be nothing in there.

However, if there is the best luck I have when fishing retension ponds including golf courses, is with a white fluke, watermelon red stick bait and a frog. 

 

Good Luck, and watch where you step...Make some noise as you approach the bank if its overgrown and keep watching the water in front and both sides of you for any signs of unusual surface disturbance.

If you have a small dog, leave it home.

 

 

 

Mike

 

 

 

 

Mike 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike L said:

If its a fairly new community there very well may be nothing in there.

However, if there is the best luck I have when fishing retension ponds including golf courses, is with a white fluke, watermelon red stick bait and a frog. 

 

Good Luck, and watch where you step...Make some noise as you approach the bank if its overgrown and keep watching the water in front and both sides of you for any signs of unusual surface disturbance.

If you have a small dog, leave it home.

 

 

 

Mike

 

 

 

 

Mike 

The nice thing about these ponds is that the bank isn't overgrown it is mowded quite frequently,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres probably bass in there.I have been skunked more than once in ponds I had caught plenty of fish in before.

All good advice above.

My favorite 3 baits  mentioned above are senkos,super flukes,and zoom trick worms.If the waters fairly clear,use watermelon colors.If its murky,use black/ blue. I do better weightless,but thats another thread topic!!

I fish my way slowly to drains,then fish them REAL slow.I catch more fish somewhat parallel to the bank,instead of casting straight out.

Some of the biggest bass I ever caught were the only ones I caught at a particular location.There may not be many,but they may be monsters ,esp. if its 15 years old or more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a Ned rig with a black senko 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

One thing is sure, the advice and information gleaned from this forum is second to none!

What's rarely addressed though is that the vast majority of information pertains to 'northern-strain bass'.

 

I grew up bass fishing in NJ, PA, NY and Ontario, Canada. In the northeast I was fishing exclusively

for northern-strain bass, a highly aggressive, easy-to-catch game fish. In fact, I had myself thoroughly convinced

that I was a crackerjack bass angler. That notion was soundly trounced however, when I moved

to central Florida, where I was converted back to a rank beginner (KVD admits that he fears Florida).

Northern Florida isn't bad at all, because it supports northern-strain, Florida-strain and intergrade bass.

But whenever you're fishing south of Ocala, Florida, you're dealing almost exclusively with Florida-strain bass,

an aloof, apathetic. recalcitrant creature   :wink7:

 

Roger

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RoLo said:

 

aloof, apathetic. recalcitrant creature   :wink7:

 

 

I don't no what any of those words mean but I agree....or not, maybe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gundog said:

I don't no what any of those words mean but I agree....or not, maybe.

 

 

I'm not sure myself, but I figured it's better than profanity :D

 

Roger

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×