juicebass

Can anyone explain why this fish was bleeding here?

I caught this 5'er with a jig, caught her in the mouth. There was a thick blood on her tail, it was fall. What would this be from!? Did she try and burry into a rock or something? Me and my buddy can't figure it out!

IMG_4406.PNG

Prep for bedding. Most bass species have this malady when making their nests.

• Like 4

yep. she was making her bed or had been recently

bedding. go back! fish for more, nice way to catch a hog

He said the fish was caught in the fall not the spring, so spawning is more than likely out and usually their tail would be "worn down" if fanning a bed.  Likewise in the fall the tail would be healed from any spawning activity in the spring.  Considering that the red discoloration goes the full height of the tail fin even though more pronounced at the bottom, I'm going to break ranks with y'all and say an infection or fin fungus of some sort.  Not ruling out anything like an injury either.  

• Like 5

More than likely a fungal desease carried over from tail damage the during the spring spawn cycle.

Tom

If that were trauma due to sweeping out a bed, I would expect the caudal fin

to be worn down to the tail stem (caudal peduncle). It's most likely the result of a fungal infection.

Roger

• Like 1

Looks like a bacterial infection from some sort of trauma.  Fungal infections are usually black, yellow, or white "colonies" that are raised off the surface.  Some even look like lichen or mushrooms growing on the fin or scales.  Parasites are usually little dots, or actual critters (worms, skin flukes) burrowing into the skin.  Often the site of a parasitic attack can get infected with bacteria, long after the parasite has completed it's life cycle and dropped off the fish.  I get the feeling that this is what happened here.  The spawning act often includes the male nipping at the female's caudal fin, damaging it and opening it up to attack from parasites.  That's why you see chunks missing from big females.  Females rarely fan nests or clean them.  That's the male's role.

• Like 1

Are you fishing waters where some other fish like a pike would have taken a swipe at it?  Did you try to see where the blood was coming from or was it just kind of gelled all over?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blckshirt98 said:

Are you fishing waters where some other fish like a pike would have taken a swipe at it?  Did you try to see where the blood was coming from or was it just kind of gelled all over?

Ya theres definitely pike in there, but there wasnt any bite marks or what not.. maybe that fungal thing people keep mentioning can be it?

it was FALL so definitely wasnt from fanning on a bed

On 3/31/2017 at 11:13 AM, J Francho said:

Looks like a bacterial infection from some sort of trauma.  Fungal infections are usually black, yellow, or white "colonies" that are raised off the surface.  Some even look like lichen or mushrooms growing on the fin or scales.  Parasites are usually little dots, or actual critters (worms, skin flukes) burrowing into the skin.  Often the site of a parasitic attack can get infected with bacteria, long after the parasite has completed it's life cycle and dropped off the fish.  I get the feeling that this is what happened here.  The spawning act often includes the male nipping at the female's caudal fin, damaging it and opening it up to attack from parasites.  That's why you see chunks missing from big females.  Females rarely fan nests or clean them.  That's the male's role.

^^^

Bloody tails are most often around spring spawn, as are fungal infections -particularly late in the spawn. Spawning is stressful.

I've looked for signs of damage to tails due to bed digging in males, and haven't found it. I'm guessing a lot of the "digging" is done by water pressure, which is considerable, rather than by much direct contact.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, runt4561 said:

yep. she was making her bed or had been recently

You will see that in the Spring but it will be a male.  They make the beds.