Sign in to follow this  
S-T-R-I-K-E-R

lure weight question...

usually printed on the rod are its specs of usage, it will state the ideal lure weight range. my question is, when you use bullet weights for example. do you also account for the weight of the worm or just the bullet you used for your Texas Rig?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

of course you have to account for the weight of the worm, its not like worms are weightless. depending on the size of the worm, it may or may not matter. For example, most 5" baits weigh around 1/4oz-3/8oz. If you put a 3/8oz sinker, you will get a total weight of around 3/4oz. if your rod if only rated to 1/2oz, it might break when you cast it.

• Like 1

You account for everything tied on the end of the line.

Rod lure weight recommendations are only a guideline. Add the low and high together divide by 2 = the weight the Rod is designed to cast with.

Tom

• Like 2

I go by only the weight size ;)

14 hours ago, WRB said:

You account for everything tied on the end of the line.

Rod lure weight recommendations are only a guideline. Add the low and high together divide by 2 = the weight the Rod is designed to cast with.

Tom

I couldn't agree more about those numbers being a guideline!!!! Some rods will readily handle baits far out out of its specified "comfort zone". I fish a abu Garcia volatile daily (no longer in production sadly) with lures from 8 to 16 ounces, I don't get much delineation from below 10 ounces and 16 is still castable...i think it's rated for two ounces, lol. 5 years and the rod is still going hard.