Simp

Done being ripped off for Ned Rig Jig heads!

So I've had trouble finding the Zman Ned Rig jig heads locally. So of course where you do find them they are jacked up in price. Dicks had a three pack for $6. Amazon has them from prices ranging at $6-$11. That's just insane! The darn thing is just a light jig head that stands up. So I'm sure like most anglers I've been looking for a local stocked alternative. Well I found one, and of all places at Wal-Mart. Arkie makes the perfect alternative and in my tests they stand up as well or better then the zman. 

Here is a weedless version for $2.50, I said TWO FIFTY! https://www.arkiejigs.com/ARKIE-WEEDLESS-STAND-UP-HEADS-p/wmhp.htm

Here is a non weedless version with the exact type of hook keeper on zman for less then $4. https://www.arkiejigs.com/product-p/ded.htm

This is just a PSA! Buy them from a Bassresource sponsor if they sell them. I'm not pushing any store or website. I found mine at Wal-Mart and arkie is sold at a ton of locations. I found the weedless hook keeper to be thin and pointed enough to hold the elaztech as well.

• Like 4

Not Bad Idea ----I would get the 1/8 the next time Im at the Wally World. 

Luckily for me, a guy in my area who used to belong to my bass club makes some of the best, highest quality terminal tackle I've ever used. Very competitive pricing, we can buy direct when purchasing large orders or in a pinch, quite a few local shops carry his product. Ned rigs, dropshot weights, swimjigs, swimbait heads, football heads... you name it, he pours it! Wish I could promote him by name here!! But if you're in the Spokane/CDA area, you probably know who I'm refering to...

• Like 2

I know they are do nothing baits, but I wonder if that Arkie 3/0 hook is too big?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1201vilbig said:

I know they are do nothing baits, but I wonder if that Arkie 3/0 hook is too big?

The weedless one linked has a slightly smaller hook but both will work fine.

20170403_002450.jpg

• Like 5

Try Gopher Jigs - also I believe there is a new jig mold from Do - It  molds that looks good . You want a jig head with between a #4 to perhaps a #1 hook size for and a head size of between 1/32nd and 1/8th oz. max. A 3/0 hook is too big for a true Ned finesse application (unless talking about the big TRD which has morphed into God - knows -  what at this juncture...)

**There is a guy from the Mid-West I saw on the Ozark forums who pours perhaps the best jig head for Ned applications (Bluebasser 86 or Team Nine probably know the guy ?) who has studied in depth  the right hook size and head weight for max effect ... I want to say he is from KS. or MO. and went from just supplying a few to friends to now a small commercial operation . While not the cheapest - from what I recall his regular and weedless versions Ned jig heads appeared to be the best !

• Like 2

The bronze hook and large size would both be factors that would be a turn off to me. I've used them for their intended purpose (hula grubs/chompers), and they're just okay for that.

I'd be willing to guess that if you went with a smaller hook like what is suggested for a Ned rig, you could get away without having a weedguard. I fish mine in all kinds of junk, rarely snag up, and I never fished one with a weedguard.

2 minutes ago, ChrisD46 said:

Try Gopher Jigs - also I believe there is a new jig mold from Do - It  molds that looks good . You want a jig head with between a #4 to perhaps a #1 hook size for and a head size of between 1/32nd and 1/8th oz. max. A 3/0 hook is too big for a true Ned finesse application (unless talking about the big TRD which has morphed into God - knows -  what at this juncture...)

**There is a guy from the Mid-West I saw on the Ozark forums who pours perhaps the best jig head for Ned applications (Bluebasser 86 or Team Nine probably know the guy ?) who has studied in depth  the right hook size and head weight for max effect ... I want to say he is from KS. or MO. and went from just supplying a few to friends to now a small commercial operation . While not the cheapest - from what I recall his regular and weedless versions Ned jig heads appeared to be the best !

Believe you're referring to Dave from Lansing, KS. He makes an excellent jighead from what I've heard, and has countless hours perfecting the technique on Table Rock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluebasser86 said:

The bronze hook and large size would both be factors that would be a turn off to me. I've used them for their intended purpose (hula grubs/chompers), and they're just okay for that.

I'd be willing to guess that if you went with a smaller hook like what is suggested for a Ned rig, you could get away without having a weedguard. I fish mine in all kinds of junk, rarely snag up, and I never fished one with a weedguard.

Believe you're referring to Dave from Lansing, KS. He makes an excellent jighead from what I've heard, and has countless hours perfecting the technique on Table Rock.

Blue I've fished the zman one's and they hang up plenty. And I've had to straighten many out. Part of the reason I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I've saw Neds videos on YouTube as well. Gopher jig heads aren't local to me and aren't carried. These are most likely in thousand of Walmart across the country and cheap. The top one isn't bronze as well and is 1/16th. I'm not a purest on what a Ned rig is and I dont give a ****.  All we are talking about is a light jig head that stands up and the hook works as intended. I'm tired of way over paying for a piece of lead on a small hook. I won't be holden to zman or gopher for what is or isn't a Ned rig lol. I want something I can buy local and works well for the application. These do that!

20170403_045118.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simp said:

Blue I've fished the zman one's and they hang up plenty. And I've had to straighten many out. Part of the reason I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I've saw Neds videos on YouTube as well. Gopher jig heads aren't local to me and aren't carried. These are most likely in thousand of Walmart across the country and cheap. The top one isn't bronze as well and is 1/16th. I'm not a purest on what a Ned rig is and I dont give a ****.  All we are talking about is a light jig head that stands up and the hook works as intended. I'm tired of way over paying for a peice of lead on a small hook. I won't be holden to zman or gopher for what is or isn't a Ned rig lol. I want something I can buy local and works well for the application. These do that!

Why not just fish a small ballhead with a fiber guard? A ball head is going to stand up nearly as well (better imo but that's another discussion completely), and you can get them at almost any tackle store or Wal-Mart anywhere. 

• Like 3

Based on your last reply - then stay the course as you have found a solution that works for you ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Why not just fish a small ballhead with a fiber guard? A ball head is going to stand up nearly as well (better imo but that's another discussion completely), and you can get them at almost any tackle store or Wal-Mart anywhere. 

Haven't I done just that? I found a local source that does the job of the zman heads for a fraction of the price. One for light application around rocks and one with a weedguard around brush and standing timber. These hooks are plenty small and around timber I'd prefer a slightly stouter hook. I do say slightly because this hook is tiny. It's fine if you want to push gopher or a local source. It's cool if you prefer crappie gear to fish this. I'm was just giving a PSA to people tired of being gouged by the zman jig prices. Plenty of jig heads that can do the EXACT job for a fraction of the price. Anybody who has a Walmart probably has these as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simp said:

Haven't I done just that? I found a local source that does the job of the zman heads for a fraction of the price. One for light application around rocks and one with a weedguard around brush and standing timber. These hooks are plenty small and around timber I'd prefer a slightly stouter hook. I do say slightly because this hook is tiny. It's fine if you want to push gopher or a local source. It's cool if you prefer crappie gear to fish this. I'm was just giving a PSA to people tired of being gouged by the zman jig prices. Plenty of jig heads that can do the EXACT job for a fraction of the price. Anybody who has a Walmart probably has these as well.

Not sure where I was "pushing" anyone's stuff? I answered a question another member had, but that's it. 

I don't buy any of mine, I make all my own, for a fraction of the price and with much better components. I haven't bought a head for a Ned rig in years. However, I was in the same boat of not wanting to spend the money on the Gopher heads (the only Ned rig head available when I started fishing the rig), so I've messed with lots of different styles and types. It's pretty easy to find small ball heads with pretty decent hooks for a very reasonable price, and you can find them with weedguards easily as well. 

I'm just making my suggestion to you from my experiences going down the same road. If you're happy with the conclusion you've come to, great, continue on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Not sure where I was "pushing" anyone's stuff? I answered a question another member had, but that's it. 

I don't buy any of mine, I make all my own, for a fraction of the price and with much better components. I haven't bought a head for a Ned rig in years. However, I was in the same boat of not wanting to spend the money on the Gopher heads (the only Ned rig head available when I started fishing the rig), so I've messed with lots of different styles and types. It's pretty easy to find small ball heads with pretty decent hooks for a very reasonable price, and you can find them with weedguards easily as well. 

I'm just making my suggestion to you from my experiences going down the same road. If you're happy with the conclusion you've come to, great, continue on. 

I'm glad you've got your own set up. I just find it hilarious reading threw the ned rig resource of topics and the amount of "not a true Ned rig" is thrown around. It doesn't have to be gopher, zman, or any other name brand product. It also doesn't have to be fished a certain way. I don't fish this for smallies on pea gravel. I don't have that on my lakes. I have standing timber and chunck in 0-25 ft I fish this in usually. So at times heavier jig heads at 1/8 is better. That doesn't make it not a Ned rig. Nor does a slightly larger hook on the weedguard version. It's like the senko vs a thousand other stickbait debate again.

Oh, you're still being ripped off, you just haven't realized it yet B)

• Like 3

The mushroom shaped head is not necessary to make an elaztech bait stand up, they are buoyant enough to stand up any shaped head.  We use the mushroom heads to slow the fall rate down a little, and they tend to get wedged into rocks less.  I tend to slowly swim my "ned" rigs just above the bottom instead of dead sticking or dragging them on the bottom, but I do occasionally in very cold water.  I'm not saying you can't use those heads, but the larger hook is going to snag more and will kill the action.  

If you ever want to make your own, thats the cheapest way to go, they only cost me 6-10¢ depending on weather I use a wire keeper or not.

BTW, if I wanted a finesse bait for fishing in 12-25 feet of water, I'd cut to the chase and throw a shaky head, but it sounds like you're planning on doing that anyways though.

• Like 2

This thread has a weirdly angry tone.  Glad you found something that works for you.

• Like 11

Seems like the OP has a good solution. The reason I haven't tried a ned rig is I don't want to spend more money on a technique I might not use that often. But those mushroom heads I do use for my twin-tailed grubs. That lessens the expense. 

• Like 1

I use the Arkie weedless version stand-up jigheads from Walmart. They work just fine.

I haven't seen the non-weedless ones around me. If I do I will grab some.

• Like 1

As for me , after specifically investing in a finesse outfit to run the Ned rig with I'm willing to try some varied jig heads that will get the right action I am looking for (i.e. that "no feel" reeling a Ned rig  just off of the bottom)  using mainly half of a Zinker on a #4 ~ #2 size hook and a half moon shapped jig head weighing between 1/16th oz. ~ 1/8th oz. If I stray outside of that range of jig head size (due to a windy day or other conditions) I find other methods of fishing for bass more productive than the Ned Rig.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

How do I get in touch with this guy? Does he have a website? Feel free to PM if you wish not to post it here.

I'd like to get a couple dozen Ned heads that are identical in shape and size to the Shroomz, but with just a slightly heavier hook. I've have bad luck with the hooks breaking right where the hook-keeper barb is soldered on. I generally twist that barb off and glue the TRD to the head of the jig.

I have been getting great ned rig jig heads on ebay from 2 different sellers.

Packs of 10 for $5.99 or 7.99 including shipping. Do an ebay search for ned rig and they will show up.

The $5.99 heads have Eagle Claw hooks and the $7.99 heads have VMC hooks.

Both have been excellent and cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ned-Rig-Mushroom-head-1-16oz-10-pack-/122480164241?var=&hash=item1c8462fd91:m:m5Wf9afJjEjXajX1w08ZxGA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-oz-Ned-Rig-Midwest-Finesse-jig-heads-black-10-pack-/272714850329?hash=item3f7f126019:g:YXIAAOSwTM5YtjrH

So you're actually going to thumb your nose at the Magic Mushroom!!  :D

Roger

I buy these from Dave, $.60 unpainted with weedDSCN4105.JPG.c70ced91f8e1093c0587c2001524ec55.JPG guard.

I have personally had great luck with the Northland fireball jig. Short shanked wide gapped hook gives more action IMO than a gopher head jig. 

• Like 1