Simp

Done being ripped off for Ned Rig Jig heads!

9 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

They're a pain to pour, but they cost me about $.05 a jighead to make. 

I pour mine on the Eagle Claw Lil' Nasty, great hooks for the Ned rigs.

20161020_091646_zpsgfqifutb.jpg

Pain to pour is the best way to describe this mold. Trying to keep that little wire keeper in the mold while closing it sucks.

Allen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Munkin said:

Pain to pour is the best way to describe this mold. Trying to keep that little wire keeper in the mold while closing it sucks.

Allen

Could you guys tie the keeper on later after the jig was molded? I have done that on a few jigs in the past. Hit the thread with some glue or nail polish and it will be solid. Might be easier than fighting the mold. 

11 hours ago, cgolf said:

Could you guys tie the keeper on later after the jig was molded? I have done that on a few jigs in the past. Hit the thread with some glue or nail polish and it will be solid. Might be easier than fighting the mold. 

Yes you could, but that's even more time consuming than getting the keeper in the mold. It's a pain, but the positives of the keeper outweigh the pains of getting them in place. 

On 6/15/2017 at 10:48 AM, Scott F said:

I never liked glueing plastics before because trying to do it in the boat was always a disaster. On the Ned rigs, I do it at home ahead of time. Easier to get my fingers unstuck. Plus, getting the baits to lay straight trying to thread them on the jig isn't easy. I use an O-ring to mark the spot where the hook should come out. 

Thin strip of self adhering clear stretch tape by gorilla. No glue involved. Hold strong in water. Keeps the plastic secure. 

16 hours ago, Jvanda1 said:

Thin strip of self adhering clear stretch tape by gorilla. No glue involved. Hold strong in water. Keeps the plastic secure. 

Wait, you mean to wrap it around the lure, then exit the hook through the tape?  

On 11/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, fishwizzard said:

Yes and no. lol

rig the lure/worm(etc.) tex-posed, then wrap the clear "tape" snuggly around the nose/head of the bait, just below the hook eye.

• Like 1

When I fish the TRD and I need to use heavier line which is too heavy for a light wire hook, I use the light 1/16 Lazer Trokar Boxer jigheads for saltwater and they work just fine.

I also have done plenty good simply crimping a split shot to the nose and texas rigging half a zinker to keep it completely weedless. 

I don't like weedless jigs or weedguards because I feel it costs me fish, plus weedguards also snag grass just like a hook. I find when fishing weeds that are not too crazy, on lighter line I catch most of my fish popping my jigs off of the grass, I use light darter heads, ball heads, even the cheap eagle claw jigs you see at walmart. 

The ned rig is simply a buoyant worm that is elaztech "I think it helps but take any small stick bait or tube & not sure making it stand vertical is the end all be all". I believe the guy Ned who created the technique started out with a 3" Dinger, Larew small ringed brush hog style bait, and a few other small baits. 

The Ned rig using Elaztech does have a different look after they get beat up since the plastic kind of breathes, but that only matters in clear water or if fishing really slow imo. They also last forever, so one pack of Zinkers or Trd's and you are good to go for a long time. I view it as a downsized jig worm like a slider rig only vertical, fishing a slider worm on 6lb test will usually work pretty good in same situations.

In colder water I honestly think a light 1/32 darter head jig works the best for me with a tiny fluke or tiny piece of a zinker, or just a 3" stick o. They  usually strike it on the fall anyway or when strolling it slowly above the bottom. There is no wrong way to fish a "Ned Rig or Jig worm". If a worm floats, it will float a pegged bullet weight and light wire worm hook.

I just use ball head jigs with #2 (I think) hooks, that I get in bulk from the LTS.  I use Gorilla super glue as I found it doesn't attack the Elaztech like the locktight brand does.  Rig the bait, long as it looks straight, pull back the TRD from the ball, a dab of glue on the shank towards the ball, and then push the TRD back into place and let dry.

Maybe the small mouth don't bite it as often as they would if I was using the "correct" jighead for the technique.  But I will say that the my Ned is by far my most productive bait.  And as long as I don't go too heavy on the weight of the jig I rarely get them hung where I can't unsnag it with the usual tricks (fishing the very rocky Susquehanna).

I learned this from a profitable guide that I know, I imagine he was going through a ton of the shroom heads and needed to find a cheaper alternative that caught fish.  Oddly enough, he is even sponsored by Zman.

TRF

1 hour ago, primetime said:

When I fish the TRD and I need to use heavier line which is too heavy for a light wire hook, I use the light 1/16 Lazer Trokar Boxer jigheads for saltwater and they work just fine.

I also have done plenty good simply crimping a split shot to the nose and texas rigging half a zinker to keep it completely weedless. 

I don't like weedless jigs or weedguards because I feel it costs me fish, plus weedguards also snag grass just like a hook. I find when fishing weeds that are not too crazy, on lighter line I catch most of my fish popping my jigs off of the grass, I use light darter heads, ball heads, even the cheap eagle claw jigs you see at walmart. 

The ned rig is simply a buoyant worm that is elaztech "I think it helps but take any small stick bait or tube & not sure making it stand vertical is the end all be all". I believe the guy Ned who created the technique started out with a 3" Dinger, Larew small ringed brush hog style bait, and a few other small baits. 

The Ned rig using Elaztech does have a different look after they get beat up since the plastic kind of breathes, but that only matters in clear water or if fishing really slow imo. They also last forever, so one pack of Zinkers or Trd's and you are good to go for a long time. I view it as a downsized jig worm like a slider rig only vertical, fishing a slider worm on 6lb test will usually work pretty good in same situations.

In colder water I honestly think a light 1/32 darter head jig works the best for me with a tiny fluke or tiny piece of a zinker, or just a 3" stick o. They  usually strike it on the fall anyway or when strolling it slowly above the bottom. There is no wrong way to fish a "Ned Rig or Jig worm". If a worm floats, it will float a pegged bullet weight and light wire worm hook.

I mostly agree do the same with splitshot but on a snap so it’s more respoive to shaking. Splitshot right over the snap holds the snap in place even better actually also. 

There is just something about the ned rig tho. It works when a light shakie head doesn’t sometimes. No clue why. 

Interesting about the trokar jigs. Hadn’t heard of them. 

...just looked them up. Swim jigs? There’s no way those will stand up vertically. 

Note: to make any work (even elaztech) way more buoyant, just soak them in water over night. Or an hour even. It’s the salt that makes them all sink. 

On 11/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, fishwizzard said:

....it’s not something I do much on straight shank. Works better on z-bent hooks like EWGs etc. 

10 hours ago, Jvanda1 said:

I mostly agree do the same with splitshot but on a snap so it’s more respoive to shaking. Splitshot right over the snap holds the snap in place even better actually also. 

There is just something about the ned rig tho. It works when a light shakie head doesn’t sometimes. No clue why. 

Interesting about the trokar jigs. Hadn’t heard of them. 

...just looked them up. Swim jigs? There’s no way those will stand up vertically. 

Note: to make any work (even elaztech) way more buoyant, just soak them in water over night. Or an hour even. It’s the salt that makes them all sink. 

I don't worry about standing vertical, I find sometimes it works better with a salted bait, but I agree, some days you need light line, thin guage hook really small like the Gopher style heads, and the Jig heads I buy I found at Dicks.

Lazor Trokar Boxer Jig heads which will stand them upright. 1/16 and hooks are saltwater but small and sharp, doesn't add too much weight. If you want to get them to stand you can just add a carolina spacer and peg it with a bobber stop, Texas rig it with a light wire straight shank worm hook in #4. Mister Twister keeper hooks work well with Elaztach, The Jig heads are always on sale for $5 instead of $10. I agree, it is different than a shaky head, but I grew up fishing Jig worms, When Brewer started the Slider trend, it was the same type deal of how the Ned rig is today.

Do nothing thin finesse worm, flat head that glides and 6lb test line. I still prefer the slider Jig heads most of the time over any other jighead, if it lands flat that is fine, I can lift it and let it fall, or just reel it straight line the Slider system was all about. 

I also soak my zinkers to get the pores open, I leave them in a tub of gulp, helps add scent since I fish stained water mostly and it is not all that great in stained water but in winter tiny baits do work awesome. 

I have used the Z-Man heads and they work fine, I just feel I can buy better jigs much cheaper with the same Asprin style head. Oldham makes a weedless Tube Jig that works well, especially for a bigger TRD..Cheap also....Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 8:26 AM, primetime said:

Lazor Trokar Boxer Jig heads which will stand them upright. 1/16 and hooks are saltwater but small and sharp, doesn't add too much weight. If you want to get them to stand you can just add a carolina spacer and peg it with a bobber stop,

Interested but confused...how do you make them stand up? 

On 11/9/2017 at 8:26 AM, primetime said:

Oldham makes a weedless Tube Jig

Thats brilliant man.  Never would have though to use a tube jig.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, Joshua Vandamm said:

Interested but confused...how do you make them stand up? 

Thats brilliant man.  Never would have though to use a tube jig.

I usually don't worry if they stand up or not. I honestly do not think it makes a difference, just my opinion but I notice the elaztech once the salt is soaked out, will stand on almost any jig head you use, or at least be 45%.

I have wacky rigged the trd, put a nail in the front, and with those boxer jigs being so light, they actually stand up and  the hooks are small, #4 I believe,

The Oldham tube jigs are good because the hooks are light, they have a good weed guard if you want one, and they are stand up jigs. Glad it helped give you some ideas.

"Ned" who created this rig started using the old 3" Dingers which had salt, the larew Small HO daddy and beetles for baits. In Fisherman has a few articles explaining this technique and it was more based on being Frugal which is why they originally favored Z-Man since the baits last forever.

I have read that certain pro's like the bait not standing, and if you ever put a 3" Senko of any brand on the hook, sometimes I feel as though the extra salt allows it to get bit more, I usually don't worry about how well it stands, but I do notice the more beat up a zinker get's, the better it works, especially in clear water. Z-Man baits are bouyant at first, they have salt, they only truly float after the pores open up....Just my take but the in fisherman covers this method in detail and is a good resource from the guys who have 100+ days, can't say I have had any 50+ myself.

I've been doing it this way for a decade. No weed guard required. 

IMG_1628.JPG

• Like 1

I actually started using the Berkley Half Head Jigheads (Mushroom Jigs). They typically sell for $3.99 for an 8 pack which I consider a very good bargain. I exclusively use the 1/16 oz. They also hold baits very well. Thye use a size #1 hook which I think is just right (not too big; not too small). 

Ned has started using VMC NME Neon Moon eye jigheads now, so everyone needs to start buying those to maintain compliance with the rules of Ned rigging :lol: 

DSCN1776

The shape/style of jighead really isn't important. What is important is that it's lightweight, and it has a small, lighter wire hook to allow the bait to have its subtle action. It doesn't have to be a mushroom head to work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started oit using the VMC halfmoon head and they have the most brittle hooks I have ever used.  I just saw that Barlows Tackle sells heads that appear to be from the new MWF mold, but with #4 hooks on the 1/16oz size.  I have not ordered any yet I have a few other I alreay bought and need to try out, but they look like a good option.

Dang, I was avoiding using the VMC Neon Moon Eye heads so I wasn't violating the ned rig protocol. They look solid but cost a little bit more than the heads I usually use so I haven't gotten around to trying them out.

CADMAN has them. He's on this board.

16 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Ned has started using VMC NME Neon Moon eye jigheads now, so everyone needs to start buying those to maintain compliance with the rules of Ned rigging :lol: 

DSCN1776

The shape/style of jighead really isn't important. What is important is that it's lightweight, and it has a small, lighter wire hook to allow the bait to have its subtle action. It doesn't have to be a mushroom head to work. 

Blasphemy!!!!!!! Haha

17 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

5 hours ago, DSTN said:

Dang, I was avoiding using the VMC Neon Moon Eye heads so I wasn't violating the ned rig protocol. They look solid but cost a little bit more than the heads I usually use so I haven't gotten around to trying them out.

1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

Blasphemy!!!!!!! Haha

Ned could have chosen any jig head or head style on the market to use and promote in lieu of the Gophers, including Z-Man's own mushroom head version designed to match their beloved plastics, yet he appears to have chosen the Moon Eye. Surprised? Blasphemy? Ask yourself why. If you know the answer, you've transcended the hype... B) 

Part of my Moon Eye box. Been using them heavily for 6-7 years now.

MoonEye.jpg.9f8ce201f516944279b7ecbe7203a610.jpg

• Like 1

I use owner finesse jig head hooks, they are weedless. Size 1. Trd stands straight up. But i like using 3 inch senkos more. For exposed hood i use gopher

Or maybe they are size 2

I was only suprised to hear Ned was using the moon eye heads because everything I've read of his talks about the mushroom jigheads. I like the looks if the neon moon eyes but I like the ball head Double Cross crappie jigs I've been using so haven't been swayed to try anything else. They have a #3 hook for 1/16 and 1/32 oz sizes.