A-Jay

08 April 2107 First Trip

Today was the first trip of 2017 for me.  It came a week earlier than last season. (But not a moment too soon)  Weather was decent with a bit of a SW breeze and air temps in the high fifties.   The situation wasn’t quite right for the Pro-V Bass boat today as the only open water available had no deep water access, so I loaded up the Old Town and launched around 1000.  Having pre-rigged my gear last night, I was ready to present a variety of baits to any & all willing participants.  This included but was not limited to; a tube,  hair jig, a few different jerkbaits, a lipless bait, a flat sided crankbait, a spinnerbait, a vibrating jig and a small jig & craw to pitch to shallow water wood.  Starting out, I felt like I had my bases covered.  Secretly hoping the resided bass would be in the mood to eat a jerk bait, that’s where I started.  And as it turn out, both the tube & the jerkbait took fish.   The bass bite started slow and sometime around noon the tube connected for my first SMB of the year. (Pictured)  She was a long slanky bass with a few top fins missing.    And I am very happy to report I didn’t see a pike all day – that probably will not continue, but I’ll take it for today.    The perch KVD Deep Jerkbait was a hot bait, taking a few by catch walleye which rounded out the afternoons tally. 

All & all a fairly enjoyable early April Saturday on the water.  Had the new GoPro running on & off, as well as the time tested Garmin Virb.   Included a video capturing a bit of today’s events.

Sure felt good to be afloat and get my string pulled again.    Might try to get out tomorrow – hopefully ahead of the rain.

We’ll see.

A-Jay

58e98d38e8740_08Apr20171stsmb.thumb.png.4fb38aa54f629f206a6b01a405666ae9.png58e98e0c02de8_08Apr2017Waldo.thumb.png.c9b1e8849a88c1abf05fd0a3d88a3c5a.png

• Like 8

I knew it, A-Jay was too quiet today, because he was busy doing business.

Great story Andy and beautiful fish!  :thumbsup_blue:

Roger

• Like 1

Nice to see you getting out A-Jay! I'm still socked in hard. Thanks for the report and vid!

• Like 1