ib_of_the_damned

American Legacy Rod/Reel Trade In

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone sent their used rods and/or reels to American Legacy for their trade in program? I have been looking into it and it seems like a good idea to get rid of rods/reels that are just accumulating dust. If any of you have done it, was what they offered a decent value?

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/trade-in-program

They were more than fair for me on an old Loomis GL3. Just be accurate when you describe it to them.

I've had nothing but great service from American Legacy. Trade in values are usually around half of new retail.

I think they're doing free shipping on trades right now (one way only I think).  This would be the only time I'd trade something in.  The shipping costs are really high and really cut into your trade value.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, RichF said:

I think they're doing free shipping on trades right now (one way only I think).  This would be the only time I'd trade something in.  The shipping costs are really high and really cut into your trade value.

Agreed ~ and although I have 'a few' select pieces of gear I've seriously considered trading in - those shipping $$ continue to be a deterrent for me.   A quick look at the site just now and I don't see any posted changes on the routine shipping costs (i.e. there's no mention of 'Free' that I saw).

A-Jay

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

Agreed ~ and although I have 'a few' select pieces of gear I've seriously considered trading in - those shipping $$ continue to be a deterrent for me.   A quick look at the site just now and I don't see any posted changes on the routine shipping costs (i.e. there's no mention of 'Free' that I saw).

A-Jay

It came in an email a few days ago.  Probably just a couple day deal.  

1 person likes this

Just now, RichF said:

It came in an email a few days ago.  Probably just a couple day deal.  

You know, I think I got that one as well -  guess I should have read it. 

:(

A-Jay

Just now, A-Jay said:

You know, I think I got that one as well -  guess I should have read it. 

:(

A-Jay

I actually don't even know why I did.  I get them all the time and they're always just advertisements for the same sale items lol.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the responses. I'll try it out. I have several rods that are just collecting dust in my garage, and I have been slowly upgrading my gear to mid/high end. 

12 hours ago, rangerjockey said:

I've had nothing but great service from American Legacy. Trade in values are usually around half of new retail.

Not according to the link provided.  Quote.  "Depending on make rods typically are appraised at 25% – 45% of current MSRP. Reels range in value from 20% – 40% of current MSRP. All values depend greatly on the condition, age, and brand of rod or reel being traded."

Also states  "On each trade-in transaction, there will be a $10, $20, or $30 fee for a prepaid return shipping label depending on whether you are trading in rods, reels, or both."

I've traded at least 20 rods with legacy over the last couple years...bout half of retail.