Countryboy90

24 Volt Trolling Motor Problems

Hey all I am in need of some help. I am rewiring my trolling motor and am running into a problem. When I plug in the trolling motor or connect the last positive wire to the battery i get a crap ton of sparks and it melted the metal pieces of the connector of the trolling motor. I have the system set up in a series with a jumper between batteries and the two positive lines on one battery and the two negative lines on the other battery. At the plug I am drawing 26 volts when I test one set of positive and negative outlets on the connector and 26 when I test the other set of outlets on the plug. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I realized that I had my onboard charger plugged into maybe that was the problem. I have to run to the store to get a new plug and connector before I can continue.

This is the correct wiring diagram for a 24 volt trolling motor.

2ajrmo1.png

24 minutes ago, Countryboy90 said:

...... and the two positive lines on one battery and the two negative lines on the other battery. 

Why do you have this set up? If this is your charger, there should be a pos & neg set to one battery and a second set pos & neg to the other battery. 

The charger is setup as you describe. My description is of the trolling motor wiring. I was just mentioning that my charger was plugged in when this happened and thought that may have been the problem. 

It sounds like you have a boat wire for a 12/24 system with two positive and two negative cables and you have them out of position. 

If this is the case, you have two options, figuring out which cables are out of position or just doing away with all that crap and wiring it straight 24 volts. 

If it is wired for a 12/24 motor, I would pair up and parallel the two red cables and the two black cables and put my connector directly on the ends of those. 

The next concern is the fact you just slammed them together when things were wrong.  No telling what damage you did then.

If you only have a 24 volt system with one positive and one negative cable, then you need to recheck your work and find the cause of the problem. 

Not sure which type of plug you have, but if it's one of the 4 prong ones (and it sounds like you do) you need to take a look at that. There are plates inside that can be added or removed to connect the terminals together. For instance, on my boat, the wiring was originally set up for a 12/24 volt tm. Because mine is just straight 24, the two positive terminals are connected inside the plug, and the two negatives are as well. The batteries each have a positive and negative wire connected so there is no jumper wire in the back, instead, it's jumped at the plug.