lafalot

Fishing Backpacks?

Hopefully I am posting this in the right section. Anyone have experience with fishing backpacks? I am currently using something like a regular backpack to carry my stuff around (no boat so basically all bank fishing). Have any of you guys used a product that really helps versus a normal backpack?

I see a couple options doing a quick google search but am curious as to whether or not it is actually worth pulling the trigger on getting a specialized backpack for fishing (and if so, which one).

I love a fishing backpack, I use an old Duck Head backpack I've had for years.  It holds two of the large Plano trays and one of the Berkley plastic satchels that holds 42 bags of plastics.  That and a 7' MH,  and I can fish daylight to dark, boat or bank. There are two large soft bags on the boat, but I try to load the back pack with what I will use this trip.

Just a regular back pack. Your are gonna want to fill the other backpack up with tons of tackle and will end up weighing a ton. 

• Like 5

I use a regular backpack and it serves me well. I thought about getting one of those backbacks made specifically for carrying tackle but I doubt it's needed.

• Like 2

I just can't see the need to carry 4 3700 boxes and a bunch of soft plastic. I carry a few pouches or my most used soft plastic, a tiny 4 compartment box for a little extra terminal tackle, and a box for topwater and another for my cranks, jerkbaits, basically anything that's not top water. Sometimes I leave the soft plastic and terminal tackle at home except for what I might need for trailers. 

• Like 2

Under Armor makes a great backpack called the storm hustle II its around $50

While it is not a fishing backpack I find it serves this purpose well. It's even water resistant. There is a pocket in the front on the bottom that holds a couple of tackle trays like it was made for just that reason. They advertise it as a laundry or shoe pocket.

• Like 3

Backpack would be good for snacks along with a few baits, you need not carry two many. You will spend all you time changing lures instead of catching fish. # 1 rule keep it simple 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, frosty said:

I just can't see the need to carry 4 3700 boxes and a bunch of soft plastic. I carry a few pouches or my most used soft plastic, a tiny 4 compartment box for a little extra terminal tackle, and a box for topwater and another for my cranks, jerkbaits, basically anything that's not top water. Sometimes I leave the soft plastic and terminal tackle at home except for what I might need for trailers. 

Carrying all of those boxes and bunch of soft plactics will start to feel heavy after a while. I like to be keep my backpack on while fishing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LxVE Bassin said:

Carrying all of those boxes and bunch of soft plactics will start to feel heavy after a while. I like to be keep my backpack on while fishing. 

I used to carry a small softsided tackle bag and would set it on the ground near where I fished. I like the backpack for the reason you mentioned. I can wear it while fishing and be on the move down the bank without worrying were I left my gear.

I don't take much with me just a tackle tray or two with hooks, sinkers, jigs, etc. A few packs of soft plastics pliers and scissors. A water bottle and snack as well.

• Like 1

I have one I bought from flambeau (sp??) from Wal Mart  and it is a "fishing" specific back pack and love it.  Honestly, a regular backpack could be used. 

What I like about the backpack is as mentioned you can store other things like snacks, keys, wallet, etc. and having it square on your back is better when walking through the brush (I am a shore bound angler) is easier than having a bag that crosses over your shoulder.

Personally Ive never used a fishing backpack. I use a "normal" backpack. I have most of my tackle that I use regularly in a plano box that fits in the main compartment and then my pliers/extra line/water and whatever else I need goes in the other pockets. It's just a blackhawk hunting pack Ive had for the last 8 years. 

I use a school back pack but I put most of my tackles and plastics in Plano 3700 and 3600 size boxes. If you plan to take loose lure bags along with Plano boxes, I recomend fishing backpack where you can speperate all those bags in different compartments than Plano boxes. Otherwise those heavy boxes would crush you plastic.

I use a regular backpack, I think the name brand is wind ridge. It was about $20 on ebay and it's waterproof. It has straps on the sides that will carry 6 rod holders, a collapsible chair, 2 telescopic rods, and a machete with room to spare. The big center pouch will hold 6 3700 series boxes and a soft 6 pack cooler, full. The other pouches have lots of room for extra spools of line, a spare reel, half a roll of toilet paper, a couple black garbage bags, first aid kit, kitchen sink,whistle, etc. It's nice, but it's set up for multi species fishing and I either empty 80% of it when I go out or I bring a smaller military surplus shoulder bag (my army green man purse) that holds 2 3700 boxes and a few other essentials. Whatever bag you carry, make sure you've got a spot for a couple trash bags (people always leave trash behind and you don't have to be that guy plus they make a good poncho, bait bucket, or place to put your muddy boots in a pinch) and no less than 30 squares of toilet paper in a ziploc. 

• Like 1

I use my CamelBak Blowfish.  Inside I have a large Spiderwire box (basically plano) with my hard lures, and a little binder style thing with preattached ziplock type pouches for my soft plastics - senkos, creatures, trailers, ribbitz, etc. There are extra pouches so I keep my fishing license and some extra/different hooks in there.  Then if I'll be a while I bring a little MOLLE pounch I had laying around with me and stuff in the front mesh compartment and that holds any odds and ends - different soft plastics that i just want to try, pliers, scissors, misc things.  In the small front compartment is my ReelSonar scale, car keys and wallet.  If Im going out for more than a couple hours I'll substitute the CamelBak for a 5.11 RUSH 12 backpack with has a ton of different compartments and sections for maximum organization and storage.  And it carries the weight pretty well.  It has MOLLE loops on the outside so I can attach more MOLLE pouches with gear if I want to, or a MOLLE water bottle holder for a large Nalgene.  One of my favorite things to attach, is a dump pouch.  Once a senko is mangled I dont think throwing it in water or in the brush on the ground.  I just put in the dump pounch by hip on the bag and go on with my day.  Other things go in there - snack wrappers, crushed down empty beer can or 3. Anything that I dont want to leave behind.  I get to the car, detach the dump pouch and dump its contents in the trash bag in my trunk.  

• Like 1

I use an outdoor backpack from Walmart. It has a good many compartments in it. As mentioned already though... the more you can put in it the more you end up carrying. I've tried to lighten it up multiple times now and it still ends up being like 20lbs or so. Sad part is I have 1-3700 box and 1-3600 box in it but probably 25 bags of plastics and some tools really add up. 

I have had several because I need a rod holder incorporated on the bag Currently, I have Spiderwire backpack (not the sling) because of this feature. Often is the case, those of use that want/need backpack as our tackle-box is due to mobility. I'm carrying all sorts of stuff when I hit my lakes and that is why I only consider a bag that also holds a rod to free my hands up for other essentials. 

I have been using the Wild River 3606 and it serves me well.  I have most of my gear in it.  The bottom holds four 3600 trays.  The top is great for storing bags of plastics.  The side compartments hold my stringer, scale, leader line, etc.  And there is a zipper on the front that unfolds a mini workstation which I thought was a novelty but has been quite handy.  I have it pretty well loaded but weight hasn't been an issue for me, even bank fishing and walking 3+ miles per outing.  It can be found for about $70-$75.

I have a Fishpond Summit sling that I use for shorter days or when I am going to be closer to my car.  It only holds a single 3600 box, maybe 2-3 bags of plastics or a handfull of hard baits.  It goes get very uncomfortable on a long day if I have my jig box with me, but I am so in love with being able to pivot the sling around and retie on the little "bench" that I am willing to suffer through it.  

For longer walks or if I am doing any real scrambling, I use a small hiking pack.  The few "fishing" packs I have tried are just awful, comfort-wise, compared to most any good hiking pack.  

Cabelas advanced angler bag has served me very well. Came with 5 3600 Plano boxes, has tons of storage and is very comfortable to wear all day. I got mine on sale for 45 bucks last year. 

37 minutes ago, Nscheele said:

Cabelas advanced angler bag has served me very well. Came with 5 3600 Plano boxes, has tons of storage and is very comfortable to wear all day. I got mine on sale for 45 bucks last year. 

That's actually the one I'm looking at now, any chance you remember when it was on sale? Hate to buy it now and have it go on sale in a week.

I have the Spiderwire backpack. I've had it for a few years, it's the red and black version.

It's IDEAL for bank fishing. I carry 3 Plano 3700 boxes. One for hard plastics, one for spinners, jigs, and buzzbaits, and one for swimbaits, frogs, pop'rs, mainly misc stuff. Then I have a small flambeau box I use for my terminal tackle which goes toward the top of the bag. I have a soft plastic binder I clipped on with a carabiner for my softs, plus I have the two side pockets which are dedicated to all my senkos.

It's pricey, I think I gave $80-$100 for it but it's worth every penny. 

When I go out on the boat, all I do is take my boxes out and put them in my tacklebag and put all my senkos in a Tupperware container. Less then 5 mins and I'm switched out. 

All in all, best investment I've made in my life as far as tackle boxes/storage!

9 hours ago, lafalot said:

That's actually the one I'm looking at now, any chance you remember when it was on sale? Hate to buy it now and have it go on sale in a week.

I don't remember for sure. It was early in the year when I got it.