BrackishBassin

Would you fish it, and if so, how?

Just what the title says. Pond is anywhere from a foot to about 4 feet deep. Has 3 'fountains' spread out around it. Definitely has a resident bass population. Not sure about the size of it or the individuals in it. 

DSC_1823.JPG

• Like 1

I bet they have never seen a trap, throw one out there :D

• Like 6

Frog w/ some tough line!

texas rigs, swimjigs, flipping jigs. you try to work a frog through that stuff and your line will get tangled so bad, it'l be very very hard to work it.

12 minutes ago, bigturtle said:

texas rigs, swimjigs, flipping jigs. you try to work a frog through that stuff and your line will get tangled so bad, it'l be very very hard to work it.

That's what I tried today. Wasn't the easiest, but I managed. Had 5 blow ups on the frog but didn't manage to hook any of them. 

• Like 2

That's some frogging water if I've ever seen some. That or a t-rig or swimjig if they want something sub surface. 

Flip and pitch pegged texas rigged plastics, and weedless jigs. Frogs are going to have a tough time coming through with that much of the plant out of the water. A spinnerbait might come through, you would have to try it.  I would use braid and a heavy rod on whatever I threw, if you get bit your gonna have to get a fish out of there.

Space Monkey Texas rigged with a pegged 1/32 oz bullet weight.  Swim on top and let drop into holes or along stems. Thank me later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, onetime said:

Sure thing. I'll go grab myself a rockfish trolling rod and throw some 100lb braid on. Should work like a charm. 

36 minutes ago, BrackishBassin said:

Sure thing. I'll go grab myself a rockfish trolling rod and throw some 100lb braid on. Should work like a charm. 

You won't need all that... cause that traps never going to make it into the water!

• Like 1

No. I would find another place to fish. Looks like too much work. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't even want to deal with all of that vegetation. Would def use a heavy rod with 65# braid or higher with a pegged weight. Looks out of my league.

7 hours ago, onetime said:

^^^ What he said. The trick is to reel it just above the vegetation. :D

Since it's so shallow - if the bottom isn't too soft, perhaps you could wade  . . .

And you might want to try a Butt Worm. 

Yup - Butt worm.   

Use Braid maybe 50lb, slide a nail weight into the tail of a 5 or 6 inch worm or stick bait.  

Rig a stout 4/0 or 5/0 hook into the head.  

And then drop that thing in & out of as may holes in that mess as you can.

Watch out though - you might get your arm broke.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 4

Yep, flipping creature baits. 

7 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Since it's so shallow - if the bottom isn't too soft, perhaps you could wade  . . .

And you might want to try a Butt Worm. 

Yup - Butt worm.   

Use Braid maybe 50lb, slide a nail weight into the tail of a 5 or 6 inch worm or stick bait.  

Rig a stout 4/0 or 5/0 hook into the head.  

And then drop that thing in & out of as may holes in that mess as you can.

Watch out though - you might get your arm broke.

:smiley:

A-Jay

It's an HOA owned pond and I have permission to fish it, but I don't know that they'd give me permission to wade it due to liability. 

I'll have to check out those baits you mentioned. Even if I don't pick some up, I can't wait to see the Google search results on that one. Hahaha!

15 hours ago, Bucky205 said:

Flip and pitch pegged texas rigged plastics, and weedless jigs. Frogs are going to have a tough time coming through with that much of the plant out of the water. A spinnerbait might come through, you would have to try it.  I would use braid and a heavy rod on whatever I threw, if you get bit your gonna have to get a fish out of there.

You have much luck flipping and pitching from the bank? I've tried it and it seems to be a heck of a lot easier when there's some sort of slope and/or height difference involved   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrackishBassin said:

You have much luck flipping and pitching from the bank? I've tried it and it seems to be a heck of a lot easier when there's some sort of slope and/or height difference involved   

It is easier from a height . I pitch   from a john boat a lot , so I'm standing a couple of inches below the surface . I use a 5/16th ounce weight and if i'm having a particularly frustrating day of it will put on a heavy Senko type worm .  Adapt to the conditions .

40 minutes ago, scaleface said:

It is easier from a height . I pitch   from a john boat a lot , so I'm standing a couple of inches below the surface . I use a 5/16th ounce weight and if i'm having a particularly frustrating day of it will put on a heavy Senko type worm .  Adapt to the conditions .

I figured as much. Thanks!

Guess I'll have to quit pitching/flipping on the hill behind my house and find a flat spot. A slope just makes you look like a champ. :)

• Like 1

Kayak and fish around aerators to start with. The cover has lots of open water, not heavy mats so several presentations will work including swim jigs, weedless spoons, buzz baits and a varity of weedless rigged soft plastics.

Tom

• Like 1