NJ Fishing

Thoughts on Shimano Crucial split grip casting rod?

Thoughts on shimano crucial? I bought a 7'3 Medium Heavy split grip casting rod. I bought it for fishing my local river for smallmouth, I set the hook into a log [my drag was set] and the top two guides including the tip snapped clean off, I have only had the rod for 6 months. What should I do?

send it back, after letting the company know the skinny

• Like 1

Did you happen to have line tangled around the tip when you set? That seems like a weird spot for it to snap.  I know the new Crucials (which are now discontinued) only have a one year warranty.  It sounds like yours is within that one year so they may replace it under warranty.  If they don't, Shimano has a new replacement program.  If you opt for it, they will ship you a replacement for 50% off msrp, free shipping.  When you get it, you have to send your broken one back to them (also free to ship).  On the plus side, your replacement will be a Zodias;)

• Like 1

If you purchased it new 6 months ago, you should still be covered by the 1 year warranty from Shimano. I'd contact them about it. I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/rod-service.html

I own two of the rods you mention and I've had them for probably 3 years now and I've never had an issue. Unfortunately, sometimes you get a lemon.

• Like 3