Spartan351

Looking for Fishing Kayak for Sale

hey Y'all!!

My son, he's 10, and I have been getting into fishing and we're at a point where we want to try kayak fishing.  A friend from work suggested that fishing kayaks can be more stables than canoes and advised that I start on used ones and see how I like it. 

So, I figured I'd tap this resource to see if y'all have any suggestions.  I live in Harpers Ferry, WV so the closer to that area for me to pick up the better.  

Budget: up to 600 dollars

Non-negotiables: tandem fishing Kayak for 2 people

Wants:

Rod holders

paddles

waterproof hatches

trolling motor 

trolling motor compatability

Place to put fishing tackle/cooler/water

Anything y'all think I would want to start with.

I would also appreciate the links, advise, tricks for the trades, MUST KNOW for beginning kayakers.

Thanks y'all!!

Really appreciate it!!

You should start looking in Craigslist in your area. For 600 dollars and you want all those? That is gonna be tough, instead of trolling motor requirement you should be looking for 2 PFD instead.

• Like 2

Join some of the kayak fishing groups on FB, tons of info. You are asking alot for 600. Craigslist and offerup will be your best bets.

I know you you said you are looking for a kayak; I heard that. But I still want to throw this out fwiw. I'm a father of 2 boys, been through canoes, kayaks, small boats and bass boats. Personally, I'd start with a canoe. I'll tell you why (from my experience with them all).

1. I had a 14' Lincoln which was very wide and extremely stable. Had both boys out in it numerous times and always felt we were safe and stable.

2. I liked being face to face rather than in-line as we liked to talk to each other, get grass off his baits, change baits for him, pass him his lunch, snacks, water etc... and everything else you need to do when you take a kid fishing. And I know you can do these things in tandem but its easier and nicer face to face. 

3. Access to all your stuff is much, much better open in the middle of a canoe than in a kayak (imo).

So, before you buy, id see if you could borrow a wide, stable canoe and then borrow a tandem kayak and see which type you like better.

• Like 3

Hey Y'all!!

Thanks for the responses.  If 600 is too low then that's also what I need to know.  It's a balance between what I can expect vs what I can get.  Which is why I listed the non negotiables vs the wants in different places. I wasn't expecting all per say, but I needed an honest assessment on how much things are going for outside, the walmarts, cabela's and bass proshop optic.  Thanks!!

Smokinal, I appreciate you sharing you're experience, that is such a great point.  My son is getting better but I still need to untangle lines or help him with baiting. I really liked the idea of facing each other. And it looks like walmart already has canoes on our price range cheap enough for me to get the other wants . Maybe I can get a better deal with used canoes.

Thanks again everyone.  I actually hadnt' looked at craig's list yet.  Weird but all the onlne searches for used kayaks has not let me there.

Will target that tonight.  

Hey y'all!

From reading some of the replies. I don't think I was very clear.

The only thing that is a must is a tandem kayak, though canoes sound better with Smokinal's feedback.

The other things I listed on the wants would be the nice to haves but not required.  Trying to balances the price of the boat vs other things I'll need.

The PFD's was something I thought I need to buy, instead of it being used.  

Hope that clears things up.

Another type of fishing boat you may consider, pelican bass rider or sun dophin sportsman. You can buy this type pretty cheap 400-500 without trolling motor, or if you can find it used would be cheaper and might come with trolling motor.

IMG_0286.JPG.a38b4cf075d59b8d81b9c994f90b3337.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Another type of fishing boat you may consider, pelican bass rider or sun dophin sportsman. You can buy this type pretty cheap 400-500 without trolling motor, or if you can find it used would be cheaper and might come with trolling motor.

IMG_0286.JPG.a38b4cf075d59b8d81b9c994f90b3337.JPG

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks!!

Something to keep in mind with all of these is transportation. The easier it is to get your canoe/kayak/boat to the water the more likely you are to use it. I can't speak for kayaks for 2 people, but on my solo kayak I can easily throw it in the truck bed and unload it with no troubles at all. 

• Like 1

that's a good point. I'm taking that into consideration, specially because my fishing buddy is 10, so he won't be able to help too much. This is good info, thank you!

Not sure how to post links on my mobile but i just found a square stern canoe with electric motor and battery for 600 in, i think, your area on craigslist. Search canoe you shud see it. 

• Like 1

Get a canoe and take care of it.  Most versatile small water boat you can buy in my experience.  Take care of it and have it for generations.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokinal said:

Not sure how to post links on my mobile but i just found a square stern canoe with electric motor and battery for 600 in, i think, your area on craigslist. Search canoe you shud see it. 

I'm at work right now and our firewalls prevent me from going through craig's list but I will as soon as I get home.

Thank you!!

Hey y'all! 

Thanks to y'alls advice.  I found a canoe on Craig's list within my budget. 

Question. 

WV doesn't need to register canoes but he has it registered,  he has WV tags on the side.  

1.) What do i need to do to buy a boat with a title. 

2.) Do i have to register it.  It's not a motor boat. 

3.) Does adding a trolling motor make it a "motor" boat and therefore i have to register it? 

Thanks again! Y'all been a great help! 

Not sure about WV but in Maine, if you hang any type of motor on it, you have to register it; probably why he had it registered. I'd check with the town office about the title thing and registration; or you may find info at westvirginia.org?

And also make sure this canoe is a wide, lake style; not a narrow river style. The river type, obviously, will be less stable.

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/experience/faq/content/canoe-design-width-and-length

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/canoe.html

https://www.dmv.com/wv/west-virginia/boat-registration

Keep us posted!

WOW, I didn't even consider canoe width.  Thanks!!

This is what I'm looking at:

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/boa/6208307833.html

Just waiting for the gentlemen to reply.  In this case, because it's coming with alot more than I expected, I could just get stabilizers to help with fishing.

12 hours ago, Spartan351 said:

WOW, I didn't even consider canoe width.  Thanks!!

This is what I'm looking at:

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/boa/6208307833.html

Just waiting for the gentlemen to reply.  In this case, because it's coming with alot more than I expected, I could just get stabilizers to help with fishing.

That looks like a good price for a nice setup.  Just be sure to inspect it a lot before you drop the money.  Take a tape measure with you and make sure it's the width you want.  

Plus you have everything you need to hit water included (except fishing gear).  If all is good with it (no cracks, leaks, etc.), then I would definitely pull the trigger on it for that price.  

Good luck 

That does seem to be a good deal. I'd go a little further before driving out and ask him to measure it at its widest spot for you; he wont mind. Although it doesn't look like a super narrow, river type to me; kind of a medium width which would be fine.

Definitely try Craigslist if you go the pelican route. I've seen them in my area with trailer and trolling motor for $500. 

I want to thank you guys for all your help!

I picked up the canoe today and i wouldn't have even thought about craigslist or a canoe if it wasn't for y'all. 

My son caught his first bass today!  On the boat! He said he's now tired of catching pan fish!

It was an awesome memory maker. That's for d**n sure! 

att_150043368900396.jpg

He caught this on a lizard lure with a #5 Gamakatsu weighted hook. Our only catch of the night.  We were only out there for an hour to test the canoe.

TOTALLY WORTH IT!

bass.jpg

• Like 5

That's awesome man!! Give the boy our congrats! The smile on that kid's face is priceless! You have a lot more memories and pics coming up now that you are on the water.

• Like 1

Congrat man, now go have some fun. Totally agree, that smile of your little boy is priceless.