aquaholik

2016-2017 Braid Test Results including FG knot strength and line diameter

Here are the results of the braids I've tested the last 12 months including Gliss, Nanofil, Maxcuatro, PP, PP super slick, and Suffix 832 along with Berkley Fireline, and Pro Spec braid. More importantly, it includes the line mass which is an indication of the line diameter since Spectra has a fixed density of around .97 g/cubic centimeter(water is 1g/cubic cm, so Spectra floats). I've added a link to a couple of videos that shows the line tester in action and a couple of screen shots of the results. Knots like PR knot are absolutely overkill for Bass fishing but it does much better than the FG for line that are stronger than 30 lbs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtvrv8c7dho30mv/Braid Test Results.xlsx?dl=0

image001.thumb.jpg.5443852c9ef86886b9c840b48d5fd915.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome info. Thanks for putting it all together. You should do a video of the system you set up to test it. 

4 hours ago, rippin-lips said:

Awesome info. Thanks for putting it all together. You should do a video of the system you set up to test it. 

It was actually built by a "friend" who I never met in actual person. Not only did he built it for free, he shipped it for free! But he had the last laugh since he knew I would be taking the work load of testing lines away from him. All line samples were sent by strangers on fishing forums but I did test about 20 different spools from my collection.

This is great! I've always wanted to do this kind of thing myself. Out of curiosity because I'm a nerd, how many trials did you do for each line/knot? Also what lb leaders were you using for the knot tests?

6-20 lbs braid, I use 30 lb leader (48 lbs ABS). 20-40 lbs braid, I use 50 lbs leader (70 lbs ABS). 50-100 lbs braid, I use 80 lbs leader (120 lbs ABS).

I'll do two tests of ABS. If it varies more than 10 %, I'll do another test. Same with FG  knot. 

If you're truly a nerd then do this for me: assuming a braided line density of .85 gram/cubic centimeter, find me the radius of the braid given it's mass per ft. Use the mass in the chart. See if you can derived the same diameter that is on the chart. 

43 minutes ago, aquaholik said:

6-20 lbs braid, I use 30 lb leader (48 lbs ABS). 20-40 lbs braid, I use 50 lbs leader (70 lbs ABS). 50-100 lbs braid, I use 80 lbs leader (120 lbs ABS).

I'll do two tests of ABS. If it varies more than 10 %, I'll do another test. Same with FG  knot. 

If you're truly a nerd then do this for me: assuming a braided line density of .85 gram/cubic centimeter, find me the radius of the braid given it's mass per ft. Use the mass in the chart. See if you can derived the same diameter that is on the chart. 

A little late for me to be doing mental conversions lol, maybe tomorrow if I'm bored. Whats the gauge you used in the video though? Eventually I might try doing this kind of thing myself but I don't have anything to measure breaking strength. 

The scale shown is an AWS PK-110 with peak hold. Max capacity is 110 lbs. 

I also use a precision scale to measure the mass of 10 ft of braided line. That gives me the diameter of the line.