BassinFLNY

Keep losing BIG bass, please help!!!

I like this video of pro Aaron Martens discussing the importance of a fast gear ratio reel in keeping bass pinned during the fight.  He discusses also his tactic of handling bass trying to jump. I believe this video is interesting and valuable as well as being pertinent to the discussion in this posted topic.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the OP is using a 4000 series spinning reel, don't know the IPT but it will be over 30".

It's become obvious the tackle can't control the bass or the OP doesn't keep reeling and the rod loaded to control these fish.

Tom

Starting to think since I fish this lure salt water to, that the hooks are somewhat rusted they are not hook as good?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BassinFLNY said:

Starting to think since I fish this lure salt water to, that the hooks are somewhat rusted they are not hook as good?

Most Fresh water lures hooks are not designed (plated/coated) to survive salt water.

Change the hooks using high quality Owner STX-58 good for both salt and fresh water, size 1?

Tom

I agree with @WRB, the pole is the problem. A spinny pole has no place in the world of spooks in my opinion. That being said, I have thrown them on spinning gear plenty of times and had success, it just isn't ideal. You can gain line much faster with a baitcaster. I can throw a Zara puppy a long way with a cheap baitcaster, which has to be the lightest walking bait on the planet. Even with all the best gear a bass can throw a treble hooked plug at any moment, especially a big bass. They come off your hooks because they are extremely strong and jump a lot. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it, sometimes we can overthink the whole process.  One thing I would try is Texas rig a floating worm or fluke and fish it like a spook. The odds of losing a fish on a single hook are far less than with treble hooks

Sort of off topic: how when I just fish a wacky rig senko I just get dinks but with the spook I just hook up with big ones?

For me when I get a big one I had to learn not to have fun and play with them and enjoy the ride....If you want to get a picture you need to smoke them into the boat and not get them any and I mean any slack...

I'd quit using the Chugging Spook . I havent used a walking bait in years because of all the missed strikes  that comes with them .

8 hours ago, scaleface said:

I'd quit using the Chugging Spook . I havent used a walking bait in years because of all the missed strikes  that comes with them .

What are some good alternatives 

1 hour ago, BassinFLNY said:

What are some good alternatives 

Buzzbaits for one .

You are getting strikes so the lure and your presentation is working. Change out the hooks and see if that resolves your problem. 

R2Sea Whopper Plopper is a popular surface lure today. There areal kinds of surface lures to choose from from Black Dog Lunker Punkers to a verity of Spooks, Sammy's and Vizen or Repoman. The Jackall Pompadeur is another big bass surface lure. Most of these lures are pricey and don't match up with your spinning tackle.

Tom

Resurrecting the thread: how would the Lewis laser be for the chugging spook? It is a 6'10 Mh rod, the reel has a 7.1:1 gear ratio only a 100$

I can also also get it as a 7'0 rod with a 6.4:1 ratio 

On 11/27/2017 at 4:28 PM, BassinFLNY said:

Resurrecting the thread: how would the Lewis laser be for the chugging spook? It is a 6'10 Mh rod, the reel has a 7.1:1 gear ratio only a 100$

I can also also get it as a 7'0 rod with a 6.4:1 ratio 

Should be fine. That combo is a decent quality for entry level baitcasting. My personal preference would be the 7.1:1.

I recently decided to test using a left-handed retrieve and made a cheap combo in a local sporting goods store.

Abu Garcia Black Max ~$40

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/abu-garcia-black-max-3-low-profile-baitcast-reel#repChildCatSku=106268312

All Star Classics ~$38-50

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/abu-garcia-black-max-3-low-profile-baitcast-reel#repChildCatSku=106268312

This has surprised me with how well it fishes. Casts really well with 15 lb Yo-Zuri hybrid line. I'm not saying this combo is any better than the Lews, just saying there are options.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:30 PM, Sifuedition said:

Should be fine. That combo is a decent quality for entry level baitcasting. My personal preference would be the 7.1:1.

I recently decided to test using a left-handed retrieve and made a cheap combo in a local sporting goods store.

Abu Garcia Black Max ~$40

All Star Classics ~$38-50

This has surprised me with how well it fishes. Casts really well with 15 lb Yo-Zuri hybrid line. I'm not saying this combo is any better than the Lews, just saying there are options.

I ended up ordering the lews Mach 1 combo, the reel has a 7.1:1 ratio. I also want to use it in Saltwater, how would you guys recommend cleaning it for after Saltwater.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BassinFLNY said:

I ended up ordering the lews Mach 1 combo, the reel has a 7.1:1 ratio. I also want to use it in Saltwater, how would you guys recommend cleaning it for after Saltwater.

Sweet combo 😉

After using my Calcutta is saltwater; remove all line, thoroughly clean with warm water, completely dry, & lube worm gear.

I do occasionally open it up to check for water but it's hard for water to get in a Calcutta.

I do a deep cleaning & lube at least 4 times a year!

• Like 1