Smokinal

Good big fish day

Yesterday I went to a small, secluded pond in the woods you have to drag the kayak into. It's a lot of work getting in and out of this place but it holds big fish. I go there in the spring and fall looking for better fish. The forecast showed clouds and rain so I was expecting a good topwater bite; and this place did not disappoint. I was throwing a bone 130 Plopper and a Poppin Pad Crasher and I got on them right away with my NEW PB!! A 6-8; which I know isn't huge for some you you slayers out there but for Maine, it's not a bad fish. And I usually fish for numbers so getting on a good one now and then is an accomplishment for me. Soon after I had another 5, a couple of 4's and some smaller fish. I went looking for more and changed up baits to a 3.8 Keitech and could have caught all the 1.5 lbers I wanted but that's not why I go to this place. So I abandoned that pattern, went back to where I knew I should be, with the bait I knew I should be throwing and continued to catch good fish. Ended up with the 6-8, 3 5's, 3-4 4's, a few 3's and a bunch of dinks. Probably the best big fish day of my life tbh.

The 6-8

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.e9152580e07631ba325036bd5ac572ff.JPG

A couple of the 5's

IMG_0307.JPG.7b369fde0bb2e5872fdadcc6acc59525.JPG

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.63f67733c0bbb57709e3a540153b19a4.JPG

• Like 27

Nice fish!

• Like 1

Heck yeah! Those are some nice bass! Congratulations on your new PB too! 6.8lbs is a big un in my book. I'm still looking for one of those myself or at least something over the 4lbs of my PB. 😎

• Like 1

Heck of a good day and what a Great Bass ~ ! 

That's a tank of a PB most anywhere but especially in The Pine Tree State.

And on top water to boot ~ That had to be quite a thrill.

Certainly made all the effort to get back in there worth it and the decision to go there in the first place a Great one !

Congrats

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome...

• Like 1

Nice work! 6-8 is a d**n nice fish, especially here in Maine. I was stuck under 5 for the longest time, then got a 6.01 a few months ago. I went out sunday and did real well. biggest was a 5.5 with a 4.5 and several 3.5. Mostly on square bill and keitech 5.8. i tried topwater but didnt have any luck (only used the whopper plopper 130). I dont know about the ones you caught, but the ones i caught hammered the bait. Hit very hard. I had a 3.5 hit so hard that once i started reeling her in i swore it was a 10lber. What a fun day. Im in Western Maine btw. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BassB8Caster said:

Nice work! 6-8 is a d**n nice fish, especially here in Maine. I was stuck under 5 for the longest time, then got a 6.01 a few months ago. I went out sunday and did real well. biggest was a 5.5 with a 4.5 and several 3.5. Mostly on square bill and keitech 5.8. i tried topwater but didnt have any luck (only used the whopper plopper 130). I dont know about the ones you caught, but the ones i caught hammered the bait. Hit very hard. I had a 3.5 hit so hard that once i started reeling her in i swore it was a 10lber. What a fun day. Im in Western Maine btw. 

Glad to hear it! Sounds like a great day for sure. Ya, they hit it very well. I, too, wanted to try a squarebill but this place has heavy grass 1 foot under the surface all over the whole thing so a lot of open treble baits are out.

Congrats on the new PB. 

• Like 1

great day! nothing better than a hand holding up a whopper! congrats on the new P.B.

• Like 1

Great day, Smokinal. Congrats!

• Like 1

WOW!

:respect-040::respect-040:

• Like 1

Wow what a day of fishing, nice fish! I wish I could come across a day like that! I would have a hole in my kayak from dragging it to that pond so much if I lived out there.

• Like 1

You smoked the fire out of em.What a fine day of fishing you had there

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 8:16 AM, Smokinal said:

Yesterday I went to a small, secluded pond in the woods you have to drag the kayak into. It's a lot of work getting in and out of this place but it holds big fish. I go there in the spring and fall looking for better fish. The forecast showed clouds and rain so I was expecting a good topwater bite; and this place did not disappoint. I was throwing a bone 130 Plopper and a Poppin Pad Crasher and I got on them right away with my NEW PB!! A 6-8; which I know isn't huge for some you you slayers out there but for Maine, it's not a bad fish. And I usually fish for numbers so getting on a good one now and then is an accomplishment for me. Soon after I had another 5, a couple of 4's and some smaller fish. I went looking for more and changed up baits to a 3.8 Keitech and could have caught all the 1.5 lbers I wanted but that's not why I go to this place. So I abandoned that pattern, went back to where I knew I should be, with the bait I knew I should be throwing and continued to catch good fish. Ended up with the 6-8, 3 5's, 3-4 4's, a few 3's and a bunch of dinks. Probably the best big fish day of my life tbh.

The 6-8

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.e9152580e07631ba325036bd5ac572ff.JPG

A couple of the 5's

IMG_0307.JPG.7b369fde0bb2e5872fdadcc6acc59525.JPG

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.63f67733c0bbb57709e3a540153b19a4.JPG

Great bass, especially as far north as your fishing.  Congrats, and keep going for more, before the big fronts move through.

• Like 1