Jump to content

Recommended Posts

i am thinking buying a 14-15 foot aluma craft jon boat and i was wondering weather if you can actually stand and fish i see fishing youtube videos and they stand but im not sure. also if i built a deck would that be unstable. do you think i could fish it in the California delta ? 

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course you can stand up, the thing is flat just don't try to make a turn at full throttle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon boats have length and width measurements, wider the better.

You don't see many Jon boats on the delta for a good reason, unsafe in windy open water. 

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WRB said:

Jon boats have length and width measurements, wider the better.

You don't see many Jon boats on the delta for a good reason, unsafe in windy open water. 

Tom

thanks i have never seen one on the delta but there some other places i can fish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom wide!

 

Jon boat measurements 

Length: bow to stern 

Beam: gunnel to gunnel (side to side) measured across the top of the boat.

Bottom: as stated, the underneath width 

 

The wider the bottom width the more stable the boat will be at rest!

 

I've fished Toledo Bend out of a 14-16' Jon boat may times, none had a narrower bottom width that 44".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends allot on how sure footed you are.  Even my 16ft boat with 60" wide floor moves some.  I have no problem walking, running, jumping, casting, etc on this boat but my dad and some larger fellas have trouble balancing and prefer to stay seated.  I also fish from a 18' by 36" bottom.  I can stand and fish by myself in that boat but if I have a passenger moving around it rocks enough to throw me of balance.  I only use this boat on small rivers so wake and waves are not an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years, I fished The Great Lakes with a 15' deep-V hulled tiller.  It had a casting deck, livewell, trolling motor and all the electronics I needed to find fish in the big lakes.  I was able to stay out when others would have to turn back, due to the boat being able to handle rough water.  Lastly, this boat was very reasonably priced, and could be towed with any vehicle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, J Francho said:

For years, I fished The Great Lakes with a 15' deep-V hulled tiller.  It had a casting deck, livewell, trolling motor and all the electronics I needed to find fish in the big lakes.  I was able to stay out when others would have to turn back, due to the boat being able to handle rough water.  Lastly, this boat was very reasonably priced, and could be towed with any vehicle.

what boat was this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am looking in to getting a jon boat, does anyone know what are some good some good options (lenth,width,and v or flat bottom) also i was wondering how well you can stand up in one,i have seen people stand and sit but i have never fished out of one my self.lastly what would be a good trolling motor for one? any help would by great. 

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as everyone said, the wider the bottoms, the better and jon boat not very good with wake, wave and wind. I got a 14' 32" width on bottom not very stable. It is okay for myself and my fishing buddy since we learn how to balance each other but we also have too many close call.

Standing on a Jon boat with a lot of wake created by other speed boat nearby is waiting for disasters to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marc41 said:

what boat was this 

15' Sea Nymph with a 50hp tiller.  I don't remember the model, but it was a nice boat in the mid 90s.  Upgraded to a 17' tiller.  Then an 18' Xpress, and a 21'10" Bullet.  I want to go back to the tin tiller.  I've been doing some shopping.  So far the 1675 Pro Guide fits my criteria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marc41 said:

i am looking in to getting a jon boat, does anyone know what are some good some good options (lenth,width,and v or flat bottom) also i was wondering how well you can stand up in one,i have seen people stand and sit but i have never fished out of one my self.lastly what would be a good trolling motor for one? any help would by great. 

thank you 

I have a 1232 flat bottom and love it for one person. If anybody else is in the boat with me it's a little difficult to stand and fish. I would suggest at least a 1436. I use a Minn Kota Endura C2 but it's a 36" shaft and 34# thrust. Definitely want to go with a least a 36" shaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duplicate topics were merged.  All comments left intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×