Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am a relatively new fisherman and love the information on this forum. Unfortunately, i'm also a broke a** college student and need to upgrade from my 10 year old $25 combo. I'm looking for a solid MHF 7-7'2 rod ( needs to be good for all around fishing, which is why i picked this), for under $80. I would prefer a solid $40-$60 rod, but if its a great deal will consider up to 80, so please refrain from the "spend $20 more and get a ..." as i really don't have the cash.. Also looking for a quality reel, same range. Any sales on nice equipment would be VITAL (and preferred), or any combos that offer a solid deal on rod and reel as well. I just missed out on a $60 sellus and sedona combo at dicks and am very ticked, so that is pretty much my standard for deals, I figured someon on here can help me find where the major deals are. Thanks guys, happy fishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick with spinning gear.  I'd suggest something like the Pflueger Trion and a Berkley Lightning.  However, you won't get a Lightning rod that long.  You may have to look at house brand rods to fine a rod of that length and power in that length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard!

 

Being new to the sport, I'd also suggest spinning gear.

 

As you have already done, I recommend the combos offered

at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dick's, and so forth. DSG has sales 

quite often, and if you're signed up for their rewards, you 

will get emails with coupons for purchases.

 

Last thing you want to do is take a suggestion here, order

it never having felt it in your hands and be disappointed

with the decision.

 

These combo deals are usually about $20 less than buying

each separately. Also look at Pflueger President reels (though

I personally don't like them, they're solid - I'm a Shimano fan)

for an affordable long-lasting reel.

 

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spinning-combos#facet:-70000000000000000787011410111510411997116101114,-70000000000000000295539&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

 

In that link there's a Pflueger President + Bass Pro Graphite

rod for $70 - on my screen it is the 6th combo.

 

I've used Bass Pro rods from MicroLites up to Carbonlites

and they're all really nice, quality rods for the money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys. I definitely will choose spinning gear as it is the easiest to use and imo as good and a little better than a BC for most situations. eventually i will buy a BC for heavy braid so i can crank the huge bass out of the weeds at a pond i fish at, where the bass always bury themselves in the dense weeds.

 

so far i've heard great things about the berkley lightning. I've felt both the original lightning and lightning shock in store and preferred the shock. 39.99 at walmart i believe. any difference between the two that's significant? I get my paycheck in two weeks, so until then i will be researching and taking advice from you guys on what would be best...I really appreciate it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darren. said:

Welcome aboard!

 

Being new to the sport, I'd also suggest spinning gear.

 

As you have already done, I recommend the combos offered

at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dick's, and so forth. DSG has sales 

quite often, and if you're signed up for their rewards, you 

will get emails with coupons for purchases.

 

Last thing you want to do is take a suggestion here, order

it never having felt it in your hands and be disappointed

with the decision.

 

These combo deals are usually about $20 less than buying

each separately. Also look at Pflueger President reels (though

I personally don't like them, they're solid - I'm a Shimano fan)

for an affordable long-lasting reel.

 

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spinning-combos#facet:-70000000000000000787011410111510411997116101114,-70000000000000000295539&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

 

In that link there's a Pflueger President + Bass Pro Graphite

rod for $70 - on my screen it is the 6th combo.

 

I've used Bass Pro rods from MicroLites up to Carbonlites

and they're all really nice, quality rods for the money.

Ill check out that president BPG combo- i saw a president and cabelas tourney trail combo on sale for the same price- the tourney trail is an im8 rod.. does this make it much better? do you know which rod would be better in general, or are they pretty much the same rod with different brand labels? thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Thanks, guys. I definitely will choose spinning gear as it is the easiest to use and imo as good and a little better than a BC for most situations. eventually i will buy a BC for heavy braid so i can crank the huge bass out of the weeds at a pond i fish at, where the bass always bury themselves in the dense weeds.

 

so far i've heard great things about the berkley lightning. I've felt both the original lightning and lightning shock in store and preferred the shock. 39.99 at walmart i believe. any difference between the two that's significant? I get my paycheck in two weeks, so until then i will be researching and taking advice from you guys on what would be best...I really appreciate it

I've had both a Lightning and Lightning Rod Shock. I'd take the 

Shock. I felt it was more durable, but sensitivity not compromised.

3 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Ill check out that president BPG combo- i saw a president and cabelas tourney trail combo on sale for the same price- the tourney trail is an im8 rod.. does this make it much better? do you know which rod would be better in general, or are they pretty much the same rod with different brand labels? thanks 

I'm not sure about the Cabelas rod, but I'd have no problem

with it if it felt good in-hand. A rod's IM rating can be confusing,

just do a search in the forum or on Google about IM. Rod

makers don't even agree on what it all means, sadly.

 

One of my favorite rods is an IM6, and has great sensitivity. Also

have IM8 rods that I love...

 

EDIT: I just looked at the Tourney Trail rods and do like them and

would pick over the BPS Graphite, just FYI.

Edited by Darren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Darren, I was thinking the same things based on the specs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried their top of the line spinning reel the ***, used it once and sent it back for a refund. About ready to pull the trigger on their *** baitcaster.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Option 1) See if you can find a good price on a Berkley Lightning Shock. If not, the Lightning is slightly cheaper. Then get the best reel you can and you're good to go. If you shop around, you might be able to get a Pflueger President in your budget, but likely you will be looking for a Trion or a Monarch.

 

Option 2)  Berkley Cherrywood for around $20 and that leaves you $60 for a reel. I would recommend a Mitchell 300 Pro, then a Pflueger President, in that order. Both are good reels and will last you a long time.

 

Option 3) Look at various combos. You can always upgrade the rod later but you'll have a reel you will have for a long time. I have the Mitchell 300 Pro combo (7' M/F rod and a larger reel) and the Pflueger President combo with the size 35 reel and the 6'6" M/F rod. The the rods until they break or you have a little more money and can afford to upgrade them (both of mine have held up decently so far). Cabelas also has some decent combos in your price range that may give you a decent balance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless a major deal comes up on a combo, so far it's come down to

lightning shock

cabelas tourney trail + president combo

fenwick fish eagle

 

still havent decided on a reel, probably the president or a shimano sienna or spirex, or a reel that feels nice in store and has a decent reputation. 

 just as a sidenote, does anyone know when stores start to move rods+reels to clearance and have major outings on discontinued or old model items? or what is usually for sale on black friday? may be worth the wait to just save up for then, its only a month away

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cabelas Tourney Trail and Pflueger combo is (was?) incredible deal.  I bought mine several years ago.  I've since bought a number of rod and reels that retail for triple...and I still carry the Tourney Trail and Pfueger.  I don't know if they still have the same rods, but I have a 7' medium/medium fast.  IIRC, its rated 1/4-3/4, but handles 1/8 surprisingly well.  It isn't as light as my more expensive rods, but it is sensitive, casts well, and has enough backbone for hooksets.  I think my only complaint ever was that it doesn't have a hook-keeper.  For the combo cost, it was like paying an extra $10 for the reel and getting a good rod for free.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Cabelas Tourney Trail/President Combo in a 6'6 ML/MF for my panfish set up. It casts smooth, and has a great tip for the price (on sale). And of course Cabela's lifetime guarantee...can't beat that.

 

Also, they added hook keepers, I got mine 6 months ago and it has one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, Nunz said:

Thanks, guys. I definitely will choose spinning gear as it is the easiest to use and imo as good and a little better than a BC for most situations. eventually i will buy a BC for heavy braid so i can crank the huge bass out of the weeds at a pond i fish at, where the bass always bury themselves in the dense weeds.

 

so far i've heard great things about the berkley lightning. I've felt both the original lightning and lightning shock in store and preferred the shock. 39.99 at walmart i believe. any difference between the two that's significant? I get my paycheck in two weeks, so until then i will be researching and taking advice from you guys on what would be best...I really appreciate it

 There’s a great ML $80 spinning rod I tried to mention here but BR blocks typing there name for whatever reason. No idea why, it’s an amazing new brand. The model has fate in the name. Sorry best I can do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a flash sale on dicks right now..lews carbon fire rod marked down from $80 to $60..berkley heritage from $60 to $20...skeet reese down to $50, and a berkley lightning baitcast combo for $39. which one of these rods would be best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up a lews speed spin tournament spinning reel on sale for $30. I believe they used to retail for $80 before the new version came out. Seems like a good reel. anyone have experience with them? its the lews speed spin ts300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, Nunz said:

Thanks, guys. I definitely will choose spinning gear as it is the easiest to use and imo as good and a little better than a BC for most situations. eventually i will buy a BC for heavy braid so i can crank the huge bass out of the weeds at a pond i fish at, where the bass always bury themselves in the dense weeds.

 

so far i've heard great things about the berkley lightning. I've felt both the original lightning and lightning shock in store and preferred the shock. 39.99 at walmart i believe. any difference between the two that's significant? I get my paycheck in two weeks, so until then i will be researching and taking advice from you guys on what would be best...I really appreciate it

If you can find any combo that proves effective cranking in weeds I’d love to hear about it. Lol. Jk

what you want is a fast reel with heavy drag like a Revo rocket. Any med heavy rod will be ok. Heavy optimal but not necessary. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also look at the 7'M Escalade rod at Dick's Sporting Goods.  A $100 rod currently selling for $50.  Rated 1/4-3/4 oz. and 8-14 lb. line.  I've not used one, but have handled the casting models in store and they feel very light.  Weight is listed at an even 4 oz. for the 7' spinning model.  I'd have picked up a casting model today for my sister-in-law, but they only had MH in stock and I want the Medium for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who swears by Lews.  Watch DSG for deals on Fenwick.  My Walmart had some Lews spinning rods and some Abu.  Don't forget Ugly Stick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×