Jump to content
Chance_Taker4

Finally going to try Rage Baits

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

ALL Rage Tail products should have the appendages unattached.  No exceptions.

 

:animals-52:

Point taken...Yes thats the way they are designed.

It's just a modification like any other but happens to be on a plastic..I do it only on the Cut R because I believe that extra vibrating tail above the flange helps when rage rigged with the flange facing down.

 

 

 

Mike 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 8:01 AM, roadwarrior said:

ALL Rage Tail products should have the appendages unattached.  No exceptions.

 

:animals-52:

I agree.  I go through a lot of Menace grubs.  I pull the tails apart before I go fishing so I don't forget. I usually take them out of the fancy packaging as well.  One of the SK zip-lock baggies will hold 3 packages worth of grubs if you remove them from the packaging shells, and the grubs don't seem to deform when thrown together in one batch. I methodically pull the tails apart as I rebag them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hawgenvy said:

I agree.  I go through a lot of Menace grubs.  I pull the tails apart before I go fishing so I don't forget. I usually take them out of the fancy packaging as well.  One of the SK zip-lock baggies will hold 3 packages worth of grubs if you remove them from the packaging shells, and the grubs don't seem to deform when thrown together in one batch. I methodically pull the tails apart as I rebag them.

 

On 11/17/2017 at 2:54 PM, Mike L said:

Personally I think Rage plastics have the most action of any plastics you can buy, certainly better than the power bait line. But that's me. 

 

As was said, the one's with the tab should be pulled apart. 

I use the Cut R with it loose but leave it attached. 

 

 

Mike

That thing is a killer!!

 

 

 

Mike

 

On 11/17/2017 at 9:08 PM, fishwizzard said:

That is crazy, I could never do it, it would be like having a loose tooth...

 

On 11/18/2017 at 8:01 AM, roadwarrior said:

ALL Rage Tail products should have the appendages unattached.  No exceptions.

 

:animals-52:

 

I guess I ought to be more clear. 

I pull The attaching plastic off the flange as designed but leave it attached. 

That little piece wiggling under the flange gives it just a little more. 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mike L said:

 

I guess I ought to be more clear. 

I pull The attaching plastic off the flange as designed but leave it attached. 

That little piece wiggling under the flange gives it just a little more. 

Mike

Oh, I knew what you meant, I'm the kinda guy who peels labels off of beer bottles, that little wiggling piece would last about a second around me.  :P

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, J Francho said:

According to the inventor of the baits, anything other than the surface running baits require a 1/4 oz. weight to activate the flapping action.  That info is on their rigging tips pages.  So, it isn't really that your not getting the hype, just using the baits incorrectly, and therefore not realizing the results so many others have.  Try again with proper rigging, and see if that works better for you.

 

Using a 1/4 oz sinker most of the Rage baits still fall fairly slowly because of the bulkiness of most of their baits and the high action appendages will also slow the drop speed as well. That's one reason I like a lot of their baits is that you can use a little heavier weight making it easier to cast and pitch. Most of the time I'm fishing baits like the Structure Bug or Lobster with a minimum 3/8 oz sinker and oftentimes much heavier. These baits move a lot of water which is another reason why the excel especially when fishing heavy cover .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 5:07 PM, Kevinator1 said:

Love the Rage Craws, Lobsters and Rage Bugs.....the only issue i have had is that i had 5 different packs that did not have the coffee scent that was listed on the label.....(looks like one of the employees forgot to put the scent in the batch that i bought) I always had the coffee scent on all of the others i have used....i did send back a pack to strike king as an example of the error, smelled just like plastic only. Haven't heard back from them yet but i'm sure i will soon. It's been about a week....otherwise great baits. 

UUhhggg.....ok....update...i sent in a sample to give Strike King proof that some of the Rage Baits didn't have any coffee scent at all and they were nice enough to send me 4 packs of Rage Lobsters back in the Falcon Craw color....the only bad thing was....yep....no scent in any of the 4 packs. Must have been a very large batch without the scent or something else went wrong....I have many other Rage baits that have the scent and it's very easy to smell so it's not like i don't know what i'm smelling but i still want the scent...and i'm sure it's included in the price somehow....you would have thought that someone would have checked them before shipping them out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevinator1 said:

UUhhggg.....ok....update...i sent in a sample to give Strike King proof that some of the Rage Baits didn't have any coffee scent at all and they were nice enough to send me 4 packs of Rage Lobsters back in the Falcon Craw color....the only bad thing was....yep....no scent in any of the 4 packs. Must have been a very large batch without the scent or something else went wrong....I have many other Rage baits that have the scent and it's very easy to smell so it's not like i don't know what i'm smelling but i still want the scent...and i'm sure it's included in the price somehow....you would have thought that someone would have checked them before shipping them out. 

Just throw the baits in a can of coffee and shake em around real good. Leave them in there for a day or week or however long you need to. Problem solved!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevinator1 said:

UUhhggg.....ok....update...i sent in a sample to give Strike King proof that some of the Rage Baits didn't have any coffee scent at all and they were nice enough to send me 4 packs of Rage Lobsters back in the Falcon Craw color....the only bad thing was....yep....no scent in any of the 4 packs. Must have been a very large batch without the scent or something else went wrong....I have many other Rage baits that have the scent and it's very easy to smell so it's not like i don't know what i'm smelling but i still want the scent...and i'm sure it's included in the price somehow....you would have thought that someone would have checked them before shipping them out. 

As an avid Rage Tail bait user - the coffee scent is a nice touch.

But this is what I actually rely on . . . .  

My advice - get some.

:smiley:

A-Jay

megastrike.thumb.jpg.7b6c871f031221f434b0a53648c2b06d.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

As an avid Rage Tail bait user - the coffee scent is a nice touch.

But this is what I actually rely on . . . .  

My advice - get some.

:smiley:

A-Jay

megastrike.thumb.jpg.7b6c871f031221f434b0a53648c2b06d.jpg

 

I remember you smearing that goop on a rattle trap and jigging it like a blade bait last fall........... very very sneaky sir........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

I remember you smearing that goop on a rattle trap and jigging it like a blade bait last fall........... very very sneaky sir........

Good memory.

Incidentally, there aren't very many of my baits that don't get a generous 'smearing' . . . .

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 9:16 PM, hawgenvy said:

I am into a million different types of bait. But of all of them, my overall most productive bait for LMB is the Rage Menace grub, simply t-rigged with a 4-0 EWG hook and a non-pegged 3/16 oz tungsten bullet weight. Blue/black or green pumpkin. I always break apart the tiny tail connector.  

 

I think having a bullet weight, at least a small one, makes a big difference with the Menace. With it the tail will kick as it falls, but without the weight it won't unless it is actively retrieved. The Menace is a great jig trailer also, a bit more subtle than the Rage Craw (which is an awesome trailer as well). 

I tried this bait in Black/blue tonight for the first time. Caught three dinks but had a major issue with the tail end constantly sliding off the eye of the hook down beyond the z- part of the shank. I used a 4/0 EWG too. Do you use super glue? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly embed the hook point into the body (Texpose).

 

:animals-52:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

Slightly embed the hook point into the body (Texpose).

 

:animals-52:

Not trying to highjack this post. I did Tex-pose last night and had no issues until I caught my first bass. It was after that initial catch, I couldn’t get the menace to ride straight thereafter. I’m going to peg it with a toothpick next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dorado said:

I tried this bait in Black/blue tonight for the first time. Caught three dinks but had a major issue with the tail end constantly sliding off the eye of the hook down beyond the z- part of the shank. I used a 4/0 EWG too. Do you use super glue? 

Texposing will help, as will a hook with an exaggerated z-bend (I like VMC). But also, you can peg the bait at the eyelet using a tiny bit of 40 pound mono line leader. Rig the bait so the nose of the bait is just over the eye of the hook, then insert the mono line through the nose of the bait so it also goes through the eyelet and just reaches the other side of the bait. Then trim. You can keep a handy length of the mono line tied on your belt loop for this purpose.

 

Anyway, bass will tear up these baits.  So you will, in any case, have to refresh your hook with a new bait after each bass or two. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hawgenvy said:

Texposing will help, as will a hook with an exaggerated z-bend (I like VMC). But also, you can peg the bait at the eyelet using a tiny bit of 40 pound mono line leader. Rig the bait so the nose of the bait is just over the eye of the hook, then insert the mono line through the nose of the bait so it also goes through the eyelet and just reaches the other side of the bait. Then trim. You can keep a handy length of the mono line tied on your belt loop for this purpose.

 

Anyway, bass will tear up these baits.  So you will, in any case, have to refresh your hook with a new bait after each bass or two. 

Thank you for the troubleshooting. Very helpful tips 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the coffee scent that catches....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, J Francho said:

It's not the coffee scent that catches....

With all due respect I believe it really helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×