Jump to content
MontgomeryCountyFishing

Where are the big ones hiding?

Recommended Posts

Greetings from PA..

Catching bass that are in the 5 pound range is very uncommon where I'm from unless you're fishing private waters. However.. There is a reservoir about 20 minutes from my location that holds a bunch in that range and even fish 8-10 lbs. What would be the best approach at targeting those giants? I was thinking live lining sunfish with weight and casting it toward the middle to trigger that big bite ( No boats allowed ). Old timers tell me that's the best way. What do you guys think? The body of water is DEEP. Eager to hear all sorts of suggestions as how to go about this. Thanks yall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MontgomeryCountyFishing are you sure the old timers aren't talking about catfish? There ain't too many places that hold big bass in PA. Especially not in the 8-10 pound range. Those bass are usually found in the southern states. Live-lining sunfish is common for flathead catfish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gundog said:

@MontgomeryCountyFishing are you sure the old timers aren't talking about catfish? There ain't too many places that hold big bass in PA. Especially not in the 8-10 pound range. Those bass are usually found in the southern states. Live-lining sunfish is common for flathead catfish. 

For sure good bait for river flatheads but I have been told these bass have been caught that way. Only other thing I can think of is a deeper diving crank because that is where I feel they will be. There's not too much cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with deep lakes where no boats are allowed is that for much of the time the majority of fish are going to be out of range. The pre spawn and spawn is the time to target these fish to maximize success. The other approach is to find places within a casting distance that may hold fish at other times (these may exist or not). I fish one such place. I get puzzled looks when I show up with a 10' jetty stick and a 3/4 RES, but I can launch that thing easily 3 times the distance of anything I could do with bass gear, and I usually come out with a couple of big fish. I also do a slightly 'finessed" version with blade baits in other places. I'd go with "surf cranking" if I was into the whole technique thing....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a rip rap dam ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LIve bluegill will always get the biggest bass in any pond to bite. The problem is hooking then landing, they can spit those things out with ease. We have a pond at work with trained bass, they will jump and throw a bluegill that they have been swimming around with for a solid 2-3 minutes 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aqua read this thread and will be at your door tomorrow with a warrant buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

LIve bluegill will always get the biggest bass in any pond to bite. The problem is hooking then landing, they can spit those things out with ease. We have a pond at work with trained bass, they will jump and throw a bluegill that they have been swimming around with for a solid 2-3 minutes 

Cut the dorsal off with scissors, use a big octopus style hook, and only hook enough of the gill (or other large bait fish) to keep it from falling off. hook it through the nose or just behind the dorsal fin. Wait till bass is heading or facing away and reel tight before setting the hook. Shouldn't miss more than 1 in 20 if any.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

8-10 pounders in PA huh...

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BassB8Caster said:

Is a kayak or canoe considered a boat? Big swimbaits can cast long distances and are also a good big fish bait

Yeah. they wont allow anything of the sort and that may be the best solution. thanks

7 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

8-10 pounders in PA huh...

kid caught an 8 lber there with a deep diving crank. was 8 lbs on the scale. ive only heard stories of fish up to 10 in there. but cannot confirm anything. I was in shock to see the 8lber. PA is no big bass state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

8-10 pounders in PA huh...

The big bass are out there. My pb of 10pounds opened my eyes that we do have bigger bass up north. I fish were man made dams were used for water power probably 150 years ago to grind corn. I’m at my favorite spot looking in the water and see bigger bass than my 10lber swim by me at the drop off. I always wear my polarized glasses and scan the water. I constantly watch behind my baits too. I’m convinced that every body of water holds big bass this is why we have a endless supply of bass fry. It’s the bigger gals that are stocking our smaller places too. I been out there 24/7 for three months straight just fishing. Sooner or later we have to see something out of the ordinary. I’m out there at 4am and at twilight I see freshwater otters at every place I fish. They are there then there gone every morning. They don’t seem to effect the bass fishing. All I can say is stay going. Be stealthy, make no noise, don’t talk, don’t make noise with your tackle box, tackle. My tackle box has never been kept so neat, I only use a very small flash lite too. A double AAA or single AA flashlite. I only shine it under the lid of my tackle box. I don’t let the glow of excess light hit the water. It’s like I’m not there.

 

 

1 hour ago, MontgomeryCountyFishing said:

Yeah. they wont allow anything of the sort and that may be the best solution. thanks

kid caught an 8 lber there with a deep diving crank. was 8 lbs on the scale. ive only heard stories of fish up to 10 in there. but cannot confirm anything. I was in shock to see the 8lber. PA is no big bass state.

I was on the 2 to 6 lb bass in the evenings. When I switched to fishing in the dark till light the fish got bigger. Less people fishing means less noise, bigger bass. Trust me we all have bigger bass there not being caught. There was some posts from Maine were they caught bigger bass. Even with their shorter summer they have bigger bass.

fish harder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MontgomeryCountyFishing said:

Greetings from PA..

Catching bass that are in the 5 pound range is very uncommon where I'm from unless you're fishing private waters. However.. There is a reservoir about 20 minutes from my location that holds a bunch in that range and even fish 8-10 lbs. What would be the best approach at targeting those giants? I was thinking live lining sunfish with weight and casting it toward the middle to trigger that big bite ( No boats allowed ). Old timers tell me that's the best way. What do you guys think? The body of water is DEEP. Eager to hear all sorts of suggestions as how to go about this. Thanks yall.

I live near you and know EXACTLY what lake you’re talking about. There were two tournaments there in the last two weeks where lunker was 7.26lbs and 7.4lbs, respectively. don’t listen to the haters, you’re spot on.

 

PM incoming.

Also, for all you non-believers....

 

Marsh Creek produced an 8.5lb lunker this summer in a night tournament. It’s on video. They’re rare, but they’re here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i figured he was talking about springton since he said no boats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoTone said:

i figured he was talking about springton since he said no boats.

Yeah , were these bank tournaments ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Megastink said:

I live near you and know EXACTLY what lake you’re talking about. There were two tournaments there in the last two weeks where lunker was 7.26lbs and 7.4lbs, respectively. don’t listen to the haters, you’re spot on.

 

PM incoming.

Also, for all you non-believers....

 

Marsh Creek produced an 8.5lb lunker this summer in a night tournament. It’s on video. They’re rare, but they’re here.

Oh I'm very aware of these bodies of water as well. You know what youre talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing from shore look for rocky points that jet out as they go deeper.  Dog leg shaped inlets. Areas were you can cast parallel to the shoreline. My pb of 10lbs was 2’ from shore. You can do it just be stealthy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×