SnailsYeast

Stuck drag washer

The drag to my spinning reel wasn't loosening so i decided to give it a look. I tried popping the drag washers out. The first two (soft one and metal one) came out easily. The third washer is stuck inside the spool. It is slightly titled so it is lodged inside. Any tips on how to get it out? I tried prying it out but it wouldn't budge.

Maybe try taking the spool off the reel, spray The drag stack down with some ardent reel kleen and let it soak a little. Could possibly be some old grease making it a little harder to get out. I'd replace whatever drag washers are in there now with some carbontex washers when you do get it out.

Is it a dog eared washer or a keyed washer?

^^^ you'll probably have to push it back in to level it then push it straight out from the back side. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J Francho said:

Dog eared, final answer....

Can you find a schematic for your particular reel?  That might give some clues.

Does the washer have a rectangular shaped "spring" holding it in place.  I'm sure you would have noticed this but just asking.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:57 AM, J Francho said:

I’m not sure

On 11/14/2017 at 11:55 AM, djektd said:

Maybe try taking the spool off the reel, spray The drag stack down with some ardent reel kleen and let it soak a little. Could possibly be some old grease making it a little harder to get out. I'd replace whatever drag washers are in there now with some carbontex washers when you do get it out.

When I try pushing it in, all it does is create divets and dents in the washers.

Dog eared would have tabs on the outside.  Keyed has a squared off hole in the center.

The best way is to go in from behind with a small tool like a slot head screw driver.  Cover the tip with vinyl electrical tape to protect the part.

If there are dents, or the washer is bent, you'll have to order a new part from the manufacturer because the drag won't function properly.

11 hours ago, J Francho said:

Dog eared would have tabs on the outside.  Keyed has a squared off hole in the center.

The best way is to go in from behind with a small tool like a slot head screw driver.  Cover the tip with vinyl electrical tape to protect the part.

If there are dents, or the washer is bent, you'll have to order a new part from the manufacturer because the drag won't function properly.

So then it will be keyed washers. I’ll try the screen driver technique. Do you recommend prying it out or pushing it in?

Whatever gets it out.