Jeffrey

Fish finders how many, size and where

Hello All

I currently have the opportunity to revamp my deep finders on my boat. I will be buying three units (12", 12",12" or 12", 12", 16"). I need help on which one to put and where. I would like to know the opinions of people who have fished a lot more than me because I'm a newbie to boat fishing.

your going with those units as a newbie? are you going to fish tournaments? I'm happy with two 9" touch units. I wouldn't get over your head until you learn how to use them. your talking a lot of money. 

• Thanks 1

Money no object, 2x12 at the console, and the 15 up front.  You can have imaging or side scan on one at the helm, and the gps on the other.  Up front, you can use DI or chirp, or split screen with GPS, and still be able to see everything.  There is no difference between a 5, 7, 9, 12, or 15 SI/DI GPS units, just the screen size. Get as big as you can afford.  Get educated on mapping software, and networking the devices.  Of the latest I've gotten to use on the water, The Solix is about as nice as they come.  I used a a Solix 12 SI/DI GPS with the Lakemaster chip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garmin has a 22 inch unit. I say 2 at the console and 1 at the bow should suffice. Talk to the salesman about a discount. I can't see paying full retail ($9,999 each) if buying multiple units. 😉

• Haha 1

They actually have a 24" unit for $12K.  These are for serious vessels, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 10 on the bow and a 5 and 7 on the console. I run the 5 as GPS and the 7 as fish finder.

• Thanks 1

I run a 12" at the console and a 9" up front. And I never use either of them except for GPS purposes! 

• Thanks 1

Bigger isn't always better. With larger size screens you need the space to mount them so you can ultilize the screen effectively. If you split the screen to see side by side screen functions then a 12" to 15" screen is combining 2 units on 1 screen. Keep in mind with high speed bass boats a larger screen is more wind resistant and heavier when running at speed and rough water. Never, never, never leave a monitor screen permanently mounted when trailering your boat or storing it.

Pro's tend to over do the number of units to have a back up because sonar with way points is critical fishing off shore big lakes.

I personally have no need for a monitor over 11" and use 1 unit on my console and 1 unit 7" on the bow works for me. I fish with a few bass pro's who have 2 15" units on the console and 15" unit on the bow and find myself watching screens more then fishing being counter productive, the technology is fasinating. 

You need to hire someone to teach you how to use the new technology and it continues to change every year.

Tom

• Thanks 1

I would if buying for myself do a 12 or 15 up front and a 9 or 10 at the console.  Your distance to the screen up front is the only reason to go bigger up front.  That's the finder your fishing with.  Going all out sounds fun but I would try one and see if you like it before going all out.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone. I currently have a Lowrance 10 HDS gen 1 up front and a 12 HDS gen 3 at the console. My eye sight is not as good as it was at one time so putting a bigger unit upfront sounds like a good idea. Anymore idea's please post.

If anyone is interested you can read my profile and see that I'm lucky to be alive and doing more of my dreams and less work. (hope too)

• Like 2

Network the units and put them where it's convient for you.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Good idea Tom because mine as of now are not networked; Thanks.

One at the bow, one at the console, whatever size your pocketbook can handle.

For me, more than that is just a distraction. 

People who claim to be able to "multi-task" aren't really good at anything... ;)

• Thanks 1