madknacker

Looking for article/video

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for my post and I know it may be pretty broad. However, within the past week I read an article, it may have scrolled across my Facebook feed, but I thought it was from bassresource in regards to a specific bait and using a 4/0 round bend worm hook. I ended up buying the hooks with the intention of using them as described in the article, but now I can't remember what that was. I'm hoping someone else may have seen this article and might be able to help out. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Ethan

7 minutes ago, Glenn said:

It wasn't that one. I feel like there was a video embedded. If I recall correctly the 4/0 was described as being the perfect size for the plastic it was paired with as it was almost the length of the body. I know it's a long shot but I have hope!

I think might be from other websit talking about Fluke?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustJames said:

I think might be from other websit talking about Fluke?

It could have been. Do you have a link or anything?

Google search for

3-must know fluke rigging

Tactical Bassin website?  I saw a clip on Fluke fishing.  

Bass guys like a big hook, and are enamored with wide gap hooks, so if they are recommending a 4/0 round bend its probably something like a fluke/caffeine shad, or worm. I feel that for some reason (I think I'm translating that right) I dig the whole "Have a hook looking for a bait" thing. What is it with MD and fishing?...

Could it have been the article about the "fat ika" being rigged backwards on a 4/0 wide gap to enable it to swim under mats?

On 11/21/2017 at 8:07 AM, reason said:

Bass guys like a big hook, and are enamored with wide gap hooks, so if they are recommending a 4/0 round bend its probably something like a fluke/caffeine shad, or worm. I feel that for some reason (I think I'm translating that right) I dig the whole "Have a hook looking for a bait" thing. What is it with MD and fishing?...

It wasn't so much that I had the hook and I was looking for a bait to pair it with. I was just watching some videos and reading articles in the middle of also doing a tackle order. I bought the hooks and then couldn't remember why. Seems that it was fluke related based on the responses so far. MD fishing has been tough for me. I don't get the opportunity to be on a boat often so I'm constantly looking for things to try around the reservoirs and places I go more often.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, Soulfisher said:

Could it have been the article about the "fat ika" being rigged backwards on a 4/0 wide gap to enable it to swim under mats?

I have seen the backward rigging but don't think that's what I am referring to. I know it didn't mention getting under mats or anything like that. Not that this helps anyone but I was looking at an article about Yamamato Senkos and what Gary recommends for the 4-5", a 3/0 EWG. Then I feel I was looking at his Kreature bait and thought the hook was for that but I didn't see any articles about hook size. It's no biggie I suppose. I have some worm hooks now that will last me a while since I grabbed the bulk pack of 25.

On 11/21/2017 at 2:38 AM, JustJames said:

Google search for

3-must know fluke rigging

Oooooo, that youtube video that pops up may be it!!!

Tackle purchase ADD! :lol:

Happens to me all the time.

This thread started off looking for a use for 4/0 round bend and changed to Ewg, what do you have ?

I use Owner 5103 round  bend 4/0 hooks for soft plastic worms between 8" to 10" with standard diameter bodies, 5/0 for 9" tom13" with larger diameter bodies. I avoid EWG hooks whenever possible.

Tom

You'll find a use for them. If it was on your FB, it'll come back around.

32 minutes ago, WRB said:

I avoid EWG hooks whenever possible.

Tom

WRB in 2020!...

7 minutes ago, reason said:

WRB in 2020!...

Hoping to live that long!

Tom

5 minutes ago, WRB said:

Hoping to live that long!

Tom

Cent'Anni! Salud. :occasion14:

2 hours ago, WRB said:

This thread started off looking for a use for 4/0 round bend and changed to Ewg, what do you have ?

I use Owner 5103 round  bend 4/0 hooks for soft plastic worms between 8" to 10" with standard diameter bodies, 5/0 for 9" tom13" with larger diameter bodies. I avoid EWG hooks whenever possible.

Tom

Why do you avoid the EWG style?  Is it because the profile of the 5103 style hook is more discreet?  Do you use the 5103 texas rigged / point hidden or exposed?    Thank you

I have low % strike to hook set and landing bass using EWG hooks. Round bend off set hooks designs that the hook point is about 1/8-3/16 above the hook eye are OK, hook point even with the hook not good IMO. Straight shank hooks with the point the gap width above the eye gives me very high % successful hook sets.

When a bass bites down on the hook you don't want the hook point to roll over sideways and EWG hooks big wide gap creates a cam that rolls the hook flat sideways in the basses mouth. Unless the bass has swallowed the hook or turned around facing away from you, you miss the hook set. EWG hooks bend easier than any other design because of the wide gap.

Thats enough reasons.

Tom

I understand your logic and will give the 5103 style a try again.  One last question, do you believe that slightly bending the hook point out laterally would give the hook point a better chance at making contact with the bottom or top lip during an event like you describe above where the hook falls flat sideways?   

Seems like saltwater live bait or circle type hooks have the hook point slightly bent to one side for that reason, but worm hooks seem to share such coincidentally flat angles with respect to hookpoint to the shaft and the eye of the hook as well.   thank you

Most of today's premium hooks are highly processed and heat treated to prevent bending. When you bend them beyond their memory and yield the metal it weakens the hook. I don't intensionally bend hooks outwards or sideways and use hooks as they are designed and we have hundreds of styles and sizes to choose from.

The only off set hook I use regularly is Owner 5133 down shot hook for finesse weedless worms.

Tom

4 hours ago, WRB said:

Tom

It didn't change at all. I referenced the EWGs in regards to something else I was doing right before finding the article or video about the round bends. I technically have uses for it all but forgetting what I specifically bought them for is just bother me a bit, can you tell? :P

4 hours ago, the reel ess said:

You'll find a use for them. If it was on your FB, it'll come back around.

That's what I am hoping. Not too concerned in general but just the fact that I was excited for them and now I don't know why, lol.

• Like 1