MDbassin

Where to go for supplies?

I'm thinking of starting to make and sell baits. Not as a full time thing just a hobby and sell them online like Facebook pages for fishing gear for some side money.

I don't want to get into soft plastics to much competition and everybody and there mother seems to be making soft plastics nowadays with the same old molds not a bad thing if your doing it for yourself but trying to make money off it seems pointless to me. Plus the margins just aren't there

I love jig fishing it's where my passion is that and topwater like spooks. I want to pour/paint my own jigs and make the skirts for them, also I want to get into air brushing crankbaits, jerkbaits, poppers, etc. I also want to build my own rods to sell but this forum is for tacklemaking not rod building.

Where can I go to find quality molds for my jigs? And quality components that go with this (airbrush, paint, powder paint, weedguards, and good quality hard bait blanks)

I know there's still quite a few folks out there that make there own jigs and paint jerkbaits but I feel that the market is not as flooded by that as there is soft bait. Seems like less people are willing to do jigs and hardbaits cause there I guess skill to it then heating plastic adding color and shooting a mold.

I know of the big names out there like do-it, and janns netcraft. Just didn't know if there was any other I may have overlooked....hidden gems if you will

Thank You

I don't do jigs, but I have been making wooden lures for a while.  My go-to places have been Jann's, Lurepartsonline (Stamina and Angler's Workshop), Barlow's Tackle, and Hagen's.  There are others, but I've pretty much always dealt with these with good results. 

Check these as well as Mudhole Tackle for rod building. 

• Thanks 1

Haven't heard of Hagen's.... thanks

1 hour ago, MDbassin said:

Haven't heard of Hagen's.... thanks

They are a manufacturer and supply a lot of luremakers as well as places like Jann's and Lureparts.  They mainly show prices for large quantities (500, 1000+), but also sell small quantities.  You just have to read the section on the website or in the catalog explaining how they do it.

3 hours ago, JawjaBoy said:

I don't do jigs, but I have been making wooden lures for a while.  My go-to places have been Jann's, Lurepartsonline (Stamina and Angler's Workshop), Barlow's Tackle, and Hagen's.  There are others, but I've pretty much always dealt with these with good results. 

Check these as well as Mudhole Tackle for rod building. 

These places should cover you for now and I would add ebay as there are some good deals to be had.

Allen

1 hour ago, JawjaBoy said:

They are a manufacturer and supply a lot of luremakers as well as places like Jann's and Lureparts.  They mainly show prices for large quantities (500, 1000+), but also sell small quantities.  You just have to read the section on the website or in the catalog explaining how they do it.

Yup. You might need a minor in math to make accurate calculations, lol. If you can get through the math, their variety of products is incredible. 

6 minutes ago, islandbass said:

Yup. You might need a minor in math to make accurate calculations, lol. If you can get through the math, their variety of products is incredible. 

It's actually not that bad. Most thingsare priced by 1000, so if you want 100 you just divide the price by 10 and add $1 (I think) for small order fee. 

worth tackle also makes components, but i mainly use lurepartsonline and janns netcraft.

Any tips on brands? Like the best powder paint, airbrush, airbrush paint, epoxy for clear coat on hardbaits, etc?

I don't need top tier quality but I don't want something I won't be happy with either

Iwata Neo airbrush is supposed to be a good entry level airbrush and won't break the bank. I have a Iwata Revolution BR which is a good one for the money. Createx is the most popular paint for airbrushing. I highly recommend Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy. Super tough and easy to work with. I would get a rotisserie motor to dry your lures with so the finish wont sag. Check youtube on how to make one or you can buy one from Flex Coat for around $200.

• Thanks 1

Createx is definitely the go-to paint, but Testors Aztek paints also get high marks.  I'm using an old Paasche Model H airbrush which is a suction feed so a lot more particular about paint thickness but still a good brush, and price isn't bad.  Devcon 2 ton is a great finish, but the guys over on tackle underground are getting really good results with KBS Diamond Coat as well.  A plus with the KBS is you can just dip and hang the lures.

The ridiculous shipping costs from most of the big suppliers is why I always check locally or for deals and free shipping from E-Bay and other places. Jann's Netcraft has most of the things I need, but their shipping and prices on certain items keeps me shopping elsewhere. For example, the one inch stainless eye screws in .072 diameter are $3.29 per 25 pack. But the same diameter screws just a 1/2 inch longer are $10.95 per pack. Really? Sorry, but that's just silly IMO. 

3 hours ago, JawjaBoy said:

Createx is definitely the go-to paint, but Testors Aztek paints also get high marks.  I'm using an old Paasche Model H airbrush which is a suction feed so a lot more particular about paint thickness but still a good brush, and price isn't bad.  Devcon 2 ton is a great finish, but the guys over on tackle underground are getting really good results with KBS Diamond Coat as well.  A plus with the KBS is you can just dip and hang the lures.

With the exception of Createx white, I agree. The last bottle I bought came out looking more like caulk than paint. 

6 hours ago, Baitmaker said:

With the exception of Createx white, I agree. The last bottle I bought came out looking more like caulk than paint. 

True!  The white is a pain!! LOL

Thanks for the help. I sent the drawings of my prototype crankbaits off to be made so i have a master then i can start making amd tweaking my design hopefully i can be up amd running around spring or summer

Fishing skirt co (fishing skirts.com) and Barlows Tackle are good, watch for sales.

Living Rubber Co., for living rubber skirt strips.

Tom

For painting i reccomend coast airbrush. Its a one stop shop for anything airbrush. Paints, guns, parts, etc...

I personally prefer the iwata eclipse cs for an airbrush. Its a gravity feed, and plenty of parts available. 

I started with createx, which you can also find at hobby lobby. After i got more into it i gravitated more to the house of kolor paint, but its a true urethane paint and is far more hazardous with fumes and flammability. Proper respirators and exhausr is a must have.