Time to clean up my old reel for new season. Took out my old Cardiff to clean and remembered a long time ago when I was young and impatient, I dropped my spool. I did use it once in a while, it cast fine but not sure if that boo boo restrict the distance. What do you think? I check shimano and it will cost me 29 buck to get a new spool but I don't think it come with bearing or centrifugal brake system.IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.9c388d6339f82816e6f1b24a55ba9a9e.JPG

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.1a35fb7ef37102273100a6001139cd27.JPG

Just my opinion but I would replace it for sure.  The last thing you want to risk is a misshapen spool causing damage to the rest of the reel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do decide to replace it, the spools come ready to fish. I bought a spare a few years back from Shimano directly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

If you do decide to replace it, the spools come ready to fish. I bought a spare a few years back from Shimano directly. 

Oh really thanks a lot, I'll order new spool then. The thing that hold me back was I don't have spool pin remover and not sure how I can remove that bearing.

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Oh really thanks a lot, I'll order new spool then. The thing that hold me back was I don't have spool pin remover and not sure how I can remove that bearing.

Make sure the part number you tell them is the spool assembly itself, I don't remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure I paid around 30 as well so you should be good but just check the schematics. 

Edit*: Use this link and you can order the spool assembly directly: https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441848468

That's what I used and they sent a complete spool assembly so no worries. 

• Thanks 1

You lucked out if the dent doesn't hinder casting. You'd know immediately if it was rubbing or hanging up. It won't hurt anything to fish it, but for $30 why not?  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

You lucked out if the dent doesn't hinder casting. You'd know immediately if it was rubbing or hanging up. It won't hurt anything to fish it, but for $30 why not?  

No the dent doesn't scratech any part of reel body. I fish with it a few times after the incident and caught a pretty good size catfish with it too.

BTW you should get my 2 reels this Friday.

I'd just keep truckin' with it if you can't tell it's causing any issues. Those are just memories, character lines, grey hair.

• Thanks 1

If it isn't rubbing anything, it's not going to damage the reel.  I still have an old Quantum Iron reel with a flat spot on the spool that works fine.

• Thanks 1

I know it is not damage any part of the reel. I've been using it quite a few times. My main concern is casting distance.

When in doubt, buy a replacement spool.

or use it as an excuse to get a new reel :angel_devil::angel-devil:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I know it is not damage any part of the reel. I've been using it quite a few times. My main concern is casting distance.

It's such a heavy spool, it's probably not hindering anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1