Jump to content

Recommended Posts

While I was cleaning up my rods and reels and noticed this.

IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.9d70c12df9fe3a553179a213c94d624b.JPG

 

It it is a Fenwick Ateos older model bought in 2016. I remembered using 50 lbs braid with this rod only a handful of times and caught a few fish with it. I talked to Fenwick and they said it some thing metal or hook causing this. I'm going to have my local shop fix this cheaper than send to Fenwick.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is odd. Unless I’m looking at it wrong, if line were to make grooves, wouldn’t they be on the other side of the guide?

 

Best guess for me is something hard, likely metallic like a hook or swivel or other hardware might be the culprit but even then it should have mostly happened on the bottom. 

 

fortunately, it’s a relatively easy fix since it’s the top guide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, islandbass said:

Unless I’m looking at it wrong, if line were to make grooves, wouldn’t they be on the other side of the guide?

It's a casting rod.  Braid and mud can do this, though it's pretty rare.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I literally just replaced my tip top after seeing the exact same thing on the exact same model and year rod.  And all that rod had ever seen is 10lb mono.  I was shocked but the good thing (as already mentioned) is that it took me about 3 minutes to replace.  Good as new and ready for another season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is they advertise this guide as titanium insert. I also remembered ppl complain a lot with this rod some even said there is no insert. All my other rods with silicon insert which get more abuse still look good but this one. All the grooves happen most on the bottom where you do a lot of casting and handle fish. That also why my last chatter bait flew away, I thought I used too light a line on such a heavy lure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I think I recall some chatter.  Get a SiC tip top that fits, and replace it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the rod to your local* bass shop and replace it with top giude designed for braid.

Tom * you are not far from Last Chance in Hemet, lots of good stuff!

Tom

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WRB said:

Take the rod to your local* bass shop and replace it with top giude designed for braid.

Tom * you are not far from Last Chance in Hemet, lots of good stuff!

Tom

 

Yup all done the whole Cha-bang cost me 7 bucks. Also talk to the guy and he mentioned heat might be the one to creat this. The material might be strong but doesn't handle heat very well. This is the rod I caught quite a lot of good size fish including my PB but all on #15 copolymer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

It's a casting rod.  Braid and mud can do this, though it's pretty rare.

Of course, a casting rod,lol. Big duh moment for me. 😊

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Pflueger president spinning rod whose tip guide resembled yours almost identically after a few years of service.  Funny thing, too me, is that I never used Braid with it.  I did use Yuzuri Hyrbrid with it, though.  Perhaps that is hard on guides, too.  Or just cheap guides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JustJames said:

This is the rod I caught quite a lot of good size fish including my PB but all on #15 copolymer.

@JustJames, I'm glad you fixed your rod.  Otherwise you'd have to catch smaller fish!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the same thing happen to me with an Ugly Stik I only used once with mono. I sent them pictures and they sent me a new rod, no questions asked. They ruled it a manufacturing defect. I’d try contacting them to see what they say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrackishBassin said:

Had the same thing happen to me with an Ugly Stik I only used once with mono. I sent them pictures and they sent me a new rod, no questions asked. They ruled it a manufacturing defect. I’d try contacting them to see what they say. 

Oh I did, already have warranty # issued but decided against it since I have to pay to ship to them, and if they send me a new one, it is gonna be same material and also I'd be out of rod for at least 3-4 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely a manufacturing defect.  For the past 5 years or so, rod guides have improved to the point that even "the cheap ones" can withstand most freshwater fishing abuse - even braided line.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put sic tip tops even on rods with aconite guides.  This is the one eye that sees the most abuse and even though it may cost a little more to begin with the savings in lures and frustration are worth it IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks guy, the rod in question has been fix. I'd rather spent money to have it fixed than not having a rod

for a couple week.

BTW, The Fenwick customer service is good, responded email pretty quick.

I was gonna send the tip top guide to them to have them check if it is actually material defect, but I don't think it will do anyone any good, so I guess I just let it goes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JustJames said:

Oh I did, already have warranty # issued but decided against it since I have to pay to ship to them, and if they send me a new one, it is gonna be same material and also I'd be out of rod for at least 3-4 weeks. 

That's ridiculous. You should just be able to send them pictures. That's all Shakespeare wanted. Had a new rod at my door in under a week. If I had to choose between Fenwick's version of customer service and Shakespeare's, I know which one I would go with.

14 hours ago, Angry John said:

I put sic tip tops even on rods with aconite guides.  This is the one eye that sees the most abuse and even though it may cost a little more to begin with the savings in lures and frustration are worth it IMO.

Ugly Stiks come with stainless steel guides (at least the GX2s do) and I still had issues with mine. That's why I said I believed it was a manufacturing defect, not damage caused by use. Think about how hard it would be to actually wear a groove in stainless steel. You'd need to be using braid that was coated in sand and even then it might not cause any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different guide material will handle heat and load different.  Stainless is hard and not much fun to try and machine.  It's comparitive hardness is low compared to the other materials used in guides.  The largest effect is seen in the line and it's wear.  If you look at some of the other issues out there like twing groves and recoils it does happen.  Alconite is a good cost effective material and would prevent any further issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Angry John said:

Different guide material will handle heat and load different.  Stainless is hard and not much fun to try and machine.  It's comparitive hardness is low compared to the other materials used in guides.  The largest effect is seen in the line and it's wear.  If you look at some of the other issues out there like twing groves and recoils it does happen.  Alconite is a good cost effective material and would prevent any further issues.  

Actually there are many stainless alloys with a lot of variance in their physical properties.  I was a journeyman machinist for 33 years, and worked with several types - 303, 304, 316, 412, and 412S.  The most notable thing about most common stainless steels is that they are not actually hard like heat treated carbon steel (except for 17-4PH, the stainless steels I worked with are all softer than annealed carbon steels).  However, they are tough and they resist machining, which in theory should result in decent wear resistance for guide material. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×